Search for content in message boards

James Scott 'Scotty' CALHOUN, KY > UT, shot & killed 1938

James Scott 'Scotty' CALHOUN, KY > UT, shot & killed 1938

Donna-Sue Calhoun Howatson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2001 11:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2005 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: Calhoun
I think my Grandfather Scotty moved to Utah from Kentucky. He was shot and killed in approximately 1938 in the presence of my father. My father was Ernest Frank born in 1926 or '27. My father was one of about 9 children. Anyone know the family?

James Scott CALHOUN b. 1881 Mitchell (Avery) Co. NC, d. 1940 WV, m. Eldie CLARK 1885-1928

Steve Peters (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2001 1:03PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 8:30AM GMT
Surnames: Calhoun, Clark, Osborne
Your James Scott Calhoun was born 9/15/1881 in Mitchell now Avery County, North Carolina. He died 5/15/1940 in West Virginia. He was shot as you reported. Scott Calhoun married Eldie Clark (1885-1928) the newspaper reports of his death indicated that a Mrs Calhoun was in prison due to an altercation with the man who killed Scott. Scott Calhoun is a brother to my Grandfather Wilburn Harrison Calhoun. Scott was the son of Barnabas (Barney)Calhoun (1834/7-1930) and Nancy Rachel Osborne (1840-1912). Have some information on your family plus much more on his ancestors, cousins etc.

Regards Steve Peters ss_peters@mindspring.com

James Scott CALHOUN, grandfather

Debbie (Calhoun) Capozziello (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 1:17AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 8:37AM GMT
James Scott Calhoun was my Grandfather. Emmitt My father was the older brother of Earnest.

James Scott CALHOUN

Debbie (Calhoun) Capozziello (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 1:38AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 8:51AM GMT
Donna this seems to make us first cousins. I do have an old Black and white photo of your father and mine with our Grandfather, they were very young and on a car I believe was their Fathers. I have some information and a small Book written by our Uncle Otey with some history on family and how they raised Calhoun Hounds. I'll be glad to help all I can if you send me an email address to send what I have to. Its Very Nice to meet you.

Re: James Scott "Scotty" Calhoun

Cathy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2001 3:05AM GMT
Hi Donna,
I am your cousin Cathy, Ray's daughter. Grandpa was killed in Kentucky, I have another cousin who is going to send me the newspaper clipping of his death, May 15, 1940. He is buried in Montcalm, West Virginia, grandma is buried in Wayneburg,Kentucky Palor Grove Cemetery. I hope this helps, email me if you need more. Cathy

Re: James Scott CALHOUN -- who was Mrs. CALHOUN?

Cathy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2001 3:12AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 8:35AM GMT
I knew grandpa was shot in the back, I had heard it from my uncle Ernie, he was there in the garden when it happened, but I never heard about the "Mrs. Calhoun", at that time my grandmother was dead and had been since 1928. Do you have more information on it? Thanks Cathy (daughter of Raymond E. Calhoun)

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 3:17AM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2002 2:47AM GMT
Cathie, I have a newspaper article that may give a clue as to who the "Mrs. Calhoun" was. James Scott Calhoun was the brother of my grandfather, John Calhoun.

Re: James Scott CALHOUN - bro. John CALHOUN

Posted: 18 Oct 2002 3:23AM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2002 9:18PM GMT
I would be interested in exchanging information with you on the Calhoun Family. John, James Scott's brother was my grandfather. Betty (Calhoun) Kirkwood

Cathy (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2002 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2002 2:42AM GMT
That's wonderful! I have an old newspaper article too but thats where I heard about the other "Mrs. Calhoun". I would love to read it!

Ada SCARBERRY, housekeeper for John CALHOUN, shot Elsie GIBSON 1939 Williamson, Pike Co. KY USA

Posted: 21 Oct 2002 12:06AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 18 Aug 2003 9:25PM GMT
Surnames: Scarberry, Gibson, Calhoun
The Williamson Daily News, May 18, 1939.
"Pike County Woman Held in Shooting of Neighbor" Mrs. Ada Scarberry was arrested early this week on charges of felonious wounding as a result of her shooting of Mrs. Elsie Gibson at the latter's home near Thacker, Monday morning.
It was reported that Mrs. Gibson, suffering from a ?32-20 bullet wound in her hip stated that Mrs. Scarberry came to the Gibson home and said, 'I hate to do this, but my man said that he would shoot me if I did not shoot you.' The shooting is reported to have been a result of a recent quarrel over chickens.
John(sic) S. Calhoun, for whom Mrs. Scarberry was keeping house, was arrested as an accessory to the act.
Both Calhoun and Mrs. Scarberry were released on bond for appearance before Judge Hopkins on Monday.
(Cathy, I'm still trying to find out more, Betty)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions