Search for content in message boards

Tracing a Scout from the 1937 World Jamboree

Tracing a Scout from the 1937 World Jamboree

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
My father (now aged 93 ) came to the Scout World Jamboree in the Netherlands in 1937 and made friends with a Dutch scout, Dik, from Utrecht and they became penpals. This continued until the outbreak of the war when my father was conscripted. Immediately after the war he felt too anxious to try to contact his friend again (Dad had been captured on Crete and had spent the rest of the war as a POW.) Recently he has unearthed the address of this scout but guesses that after this length of time there will be no trace. Who might be the best person to contact in Utrecht who might be able to help me find out about Dik and what happened to him? I have his full name and an address ( which I cannot find in modern day Utrecht) and guess that he would have been born about the same time as my father in either 1919 or 1920.
Dank u wel
Karen, UK

Re: Tracing a Scout from the 1937 World Jamboree

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 27 Oct 2012 4:12PM GMT
My father, born in Amsterdam in 1910, and deceased in 1999, visited also the jamboree. As the person you are looking for might still be alive, I do not want to see his data here. With an address of before 1939 we might find him in our census like bevolkingsregister.
Please give me an email address where I can reach you or use j.m.brul@gmail.com to send the data.
Some costs migth be involved to get an official record about him. He might be in the phonebook. Hopefully is his familyname not something like Smith, de Vries or Jansen. I presume that Dik is his first name

Re: Tracing a Scout from the 1937 World Jamboree

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Many thanks Jan, I have sent you an email to the address listed in your message.

Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic