Search for content in message boards

Theodore C. Fitch (b. September 1837 in Mississippi)

Theodore C. Fitch (b. September 1837 in Mississippi)

Posted: 11 Sep 2004 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fitch, Putnam
I am trying to get information on Theodore C. Fitch who married Mary Burr Putnam. I have three middle names depending on the census, etc. One is Theodore Collins. One is Theodore Curtis, and one is T. Charles. I have looked at his civil war records and cannot find a middle name. I do know that he was born in Mississippi in August 1837, and in 1850 his is living with a "Meka" A. Fitch (listed as male, age 49, from Maryland), and Morgan L. Fitch (age 16, born in Indiana). They are living in Lawrenceburg City, Dearborn Co., Indiana. Can anyone help?

Re: Theodore C. Fitch (b. September 1837 in Mississippi)

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Fitch
Barbara, I may have some information for you. I believe your Theodore Fitch was the younger brother of my great great grandfather Morgan L. Fitch. Please contact me at grtener@hotmail.com thanks! Gail

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Fitch, Cosby, Putnam
Gail, I saw your post and my ears picked up. My Great Grandfathers name was Theodore Collins Fitch from Natchez, MS. Have been trying to track that side of the family down for ever. Theodore Married to Mary Burr Putnam in Ohio and from that union brought my Grandmother Elizabeth Perkins Fitch who then married Eugene Lanum Cosby who had my dad. Hope you have some really good info to share. I don't know who Theodores Mother and dad are or if he had brothers and sisters. Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks
Diana Spear

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 2:27AM GMT
Barbara, Tried to send you an email regarding Theodore Collins Fitch. He was indeed married to Mary Burr Putnam. He was my Great Grandfather.
thanks
Diana Spear

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 3:28AM GMT
Hi Diana, So glad you saw that post! My gggrandfather was Morgan Lewis Fitch with one younger brother Theodore Fitch born in Mississippi to Meka Ann and Alonzo Fitch. Alonzo was from upstate NY - long story how he got to Mississippi. Alonzo died around 1837 - do not know why. Meka Ann took the two boys and moved to Lawrenceburg, IN and can be found on the 1850 census there. By 1860, Meka Ann has died and the boys (now young men) have moved to Cincinnati, OH. Morgan married Jane Collins (look for Jane Collins in the 1860 Census for Cincinnati and you'll find Morgan and Theodore boarding in the same house). Jane's family had immigrated from Ireland around 1849. Jane and Morgan marry in 1861 and have 4 children; Chas B dies April 14, 1869 or measles, age 2 yrs; Theodore Collins dies June 11, 1866 of dysentery. Meka (0r Meky) Ann died Feb 17, 1858 of asthma. Two other children, Jessie Fremont Fitch McGovney (my ggrandmother) and James A Fitch lived to adulthood. I was in Ohio last September and went to Spring Grove and have photos of the monument.

Morgan and Meka Ann and Jane are buried at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinatti. If you go to http://www.springgrove.org/sg/genealogy/sg_genealogy_home.sh... and enter the names you can find the records.

I have to go out of town tomorrow and give a presentation (still working on that!) and will be back on Friday. Do you think we are related? I think Morgan's brother Theodore finally settled in Tennessee.

I have some really neat documents I can send but not with this post. Hope to hear from you soon grtener@hotmail.com

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 3:50AM GMT
Thanks for getting back to me..From what I can gather, Theodores mom was from Maryland and his dad from NY. I know that Theodore Collins Fitch made it to Marietta Ohio where he met my Great Grand mother Mary Burr Putnam. They married there and had my grandmother.. No one has been able to trace him before Ohio. He died in 1901 in California. We need to look into this. it is fascinating for sure. There was a young Theodore Collins that died? I wondered where the Collins came from...hmmm bears looking into. Thanks again for getting back so soon.
Diana

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 4:20AM GMT
Hi, Pretty sure that Morgan's son Theodore Collins was named for Jane's family. Not sure where your Theodore Collins comes from but I do know that Alonzo had a brother named Morgan Lewis Fitch and I'm pretty sure there was another brother named Collins so that may be where you gggrandfather's middle name comes from. Meka/Meky's maiden name was Wilson. Alonzo, I believe, met her in Maryland. She was a widow and may have had one child. . .

Have located info where TC says he is trying to get money to go to CA - will write more soon - Gail

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 6:34PM GMT
Thanks for getting back to me....anything you can find in regards to TC would be appreciated. He and Mary did live in California.
Diana

Posted: 23 Jan 2007 2:13AM GMT
Hi. The more I get into the genealogy of Theodore Collins Fitch, the more I'm wondering about his folks from NY and MD. Let me know if you find out when he went to California as I'm sure that he did indeed with his wife Mary Burr Putnam.
Thanks. Waiting to hear.
Diana

Posted: 23 Jan 2007 2:14AM GMT
Hi. The more I get into the genealogy of Theodore Collins Fitch, the more I'm wondering about his folks from NY and MD. Let me know if you find out when he went to California as I'm sure that he did indeed with his wife Mary Burr Putnam.
Thanks. Waiting to hear.
Diana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions