Search for content in message boards

Kennedy - Bleanbeg & Glencroe, Tipperary

Kennedy - Bleanbeg & Glencroe, Tipperary

Posted: 23 May 2004 2:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2011 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Morgan
In Co Tipperary Ireland, James Kennedy of Glencroe married Kate Kennedy of Bleanbeg around 1815 and had 7 children - John 1817, Thomas 1819, James 1822, Michael 1825, Margaret Catherine 1827, Daniel 1830 and Patrick 1832

The only daughter Margaret and 'many brothers' traveled to the USA, possibly New Orleans in the late 1840's / early 1850's. Margaret then travelled alone to Australia around 1856 where she married Thomas Morgan of Cork in 1861.

Looking for any possible Kennedy connections in the USA

Re: Kennedy - Bleanbeg & Glencroe

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 11:07AM GMT
My Kennedy family may have had connections to a Hugh Kennedy c 1700 at Glencroe. Family were tenants on KNocknamoragh, Toorataggart,Killeen etc at various times.
Hugh Kennedy may have been the father or uncle of my ancestor Long Andrew Kennedy who we believe may have originally been one of the Templederry Kennedy's who fled into the hills to escape from Cromwell's army.

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 3:49PM GMT
Hi - I haven't done any recent work on my Kennedy relations but this will spark me to dig up some papers. You are right about the kennedys fleeing to the hills. On a trip there a few years ago they were referred to locally as 'wanted men'. In fact some of the those Kennedys are now farming at Roscrea since their house was destroyed in the troubles with the black & tan.
Would luv to xchange info - Pat Morgan, Tucson USA.

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 11:00PM GMT
I am no expert but would recommend two books to you.
The first is probably the most definitive texts on the Kennedys in that part of the world;
The Irish Kennedys by Brian Patrick Kennedy 2nd edition- ISBN 0-9585388-3-2 and available directly from the author at PO Box 255, Helensvale, Australia,4212

Brian is currently writing two more books which he hopes to publish soon One about the lineage of Presidential Kennedys and one about about the Kennedys who took to the hills around Templederry and Dolla and started farming the high country.His research is very thorough.

The second book is currently out of print.
"From Bun Ciamalta to New South Wales" by R Kennedy 1999
Monsignor Roger or Rody Kennedy a priest who served in Australia came from the same area as my ancestors and in fact one of them lived in his family home for a time.
His book is based on some resaerch and personal recollections of the people who lived in the valley. He includes a list of children who attended Toor School along with a collection of names of people from various townlands who married in the district. It was in this book that he mentions the will of Hugh Kennedy of Glencroe and draws a conclusion that this Hugh was an uncle or the father of Long Andrew Kennedy of Knocknamoheragh/Toorataggart. Long Andrew's descendants farmed townlands including Bun Ciamalta (Keeper), Killeen,Ganavane (Garravane),and possibly BleanBeg as well as the mentioned above. You can contact me directly at whk@optusnet.com.au

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 7:01PM GMT
We may be related. I am evidently a descendant of Long Andrew Kennedy as well. I was invited to stay at the 400 year-old O'Kennedy house in Templederry with my wife, which we did. It is owned by James and Katherine O'Leary now, who operate a 320 acre dairy farm and have 8 children.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 6:43AM GMT
It seems that Long Andrew is a common ancestor to many of us and we have believed he is connected to the Tenplederry Kennedys as his grave has now been discovered there by Brian Kennedy author of the Mountainy Kennedys and a fellow friend and probable relative. By all accounts he was 6 feet 10 inches tall!

What we don't know are the details between Andrew & his descendants and his connetions to other Kennedys both in his generation and ancestors.

If you have any further information it would,be gratefully received by many other descendants both here in Australia in Ireland itself as well as overseas.
Regards,
Howard Kennedy (Queensland)

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 3:24PM GMT
Long Andrew's father was Hugh Kennedy. I think the best bet at this point is the Catholic records at Killarney's Parish of Curns. I am hoping to get over there in 2014. I am hoping to stay at Templederry in the O'Kennedy house adjacent to the O'Kennedy Castle. We met the O'Leary's who now farm the property and own the 400 year-old house. Evidently, 37 of the Kennedy Clan were hanged by Cromwell's army in one day.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 9:58AM GMT
All new information to me. I will pass it on to Brian.
Good luck in your quest. Where are you situatd?
Howard

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 5:07PM GMT
Okanogan County, Washington state, U.S.A.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 5:17PM GMT
Long Andrew Kennedy inherited land from James Berkery around 1756 and held town lands at Knocknamohergh and Killeen, then lived in Toor, Keeper, Glean, Killeen where he employed Cliffords as dairymen and herdsmen.
He was buried in the same graveyard with other Kennedy Clan in Templederry. The church records are elusive via the web, as they want the tourist dollars to actually visit and inquire in person. Eventually, I will hit a wall and have to find out whilst in county Tipperary next year. He was married to Margaret Cormick and they had 5 boys and a girl. Their eldest son, also named Andrew lived to be 101 years! Somewhat rare for that time in Irish History.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic