Search for content in message boards

GUNNs from Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland to Brooklyn, Kings, New York

GUNNs from Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland to Brooklyn, Kings, New York

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2011 7:55AM GMT
Surnames: Gunn, Kelly, Costello, Carroll
I am looking for further information on the family of Patrick Gunn and Mary Ellen Kelly. Both came form Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland. They immigrated about 1880 and were married in 1885 in Brooklyn, Kings, NY. I am looking for more information about parents and siblings.

I recently found out that Patrick's parents were Michael Gunn and Bridget Costello.

Mary Ellen Kelly's parents were Patrick Kelly and Ellen Carroll.

I have more information if this seems familiar to anyone.

Thanks Lisa

Re: GUNNs from Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland to Brooklyn, Kings, New York

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 5:58AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2011 8:05AM GMT
Surnames: Gunn, O'Sullivan, Kelly, Philip, Costello, Carroll, Hammerton, Byrne, Going, Britt, Code
In a 1870 Commercial Directory for Tipperary there is a Michael Gunn, Green , Fethard a blacksmith.

Without knowing the parish it is impossible to trace family connections. A good way to do this is compare the surnames you have given to find them in one Parish or a Parish next to them. There are few way to do this in Ireland due to few census. 1901/1911 are on www.nationalarchives.ie

Griffith Valuations 1848 North Tipperary:

Mary Gunn, Parish of Kilmastulla, Townland of Ballinteenoe tenant of Esq. James O'Sllivan #17 house and land 6 acres
0 roods and 26 perches

in the same Parish & Townland
#35 Michael Kelly house and land 12.1.13

Tipperary South.

Michael Gunn, Parish of Kilvemnon Townland of Kilvemnon tenant of Rev. Homan (Home?)Philip propery #22 house and land 10.2.28

There are 7 Costello's in the Parish of Kilvemnon, although not the same townland but they could meet at the parish church. There are also 3 Kelly's in this parish. No Patrick, however, there are 31 Patrick Kelly's in Tipp.S.
There are 17 Carroll's in the Parish of Kilvemnon as well.

There are also a Thomas Carroll in the Parish of Drangan;
Patrick Gunn, house, yard and small garden and a Forge #8 with #12 John Carroll #34 Michael Carroll

Parish of Lismalin, Townland of Lismalin
tenants of Matt Hammerton, Esq.
#1 John Gunn land 13.3.5
#11 John Kelly house, outbuilding land 12.3.33
#12c John Costello, tenant of Michael Byrne

Parish of Mowney, Townland Shangarry
tenant of Ambrose Going
John Gunn
tenant of Water Britt
5a Michael Kelly, house
20a John Gunn, house, outbuilding and garden 1.0.20

www.askaboutireland.ie (land descriptions as above) and www.failteromhat.com (1824 & 1846 Commercial Directories)

www.familysearch.org has birth, marriage and death records from 1864 - Civil Registration all RC prior to this were
in Parish records
The death records do show people born as early as later 1700's based on age given at death.

Civil Registration District were based on Poor Law Union, and should be present in the Civil Registrations.
This website also has early US census and some passenger records, especially late ones. They may have just made the 1881 Census.

for example:
1880 New York, New York
Patrick Gunn 23, born Ireland (1857) Porter
Ellen 21, born Ireland
Maggie 1

don't miss bottom corner left for the listings.

Passenger Patrick Gunn, Mullinahone, Ireland
www.Ellisisland.org (records start 1892)
23 single landed 03 Oct 1913,

There is a Foundation of county genealogy office that are online, a not-for-profit but do charge a fee.
Patrick Gunn birth: 3 1803, 1868, 1889 none with father
Michael.

Patrick Joseph Gunn born 1876 Co.Roscommon, fa: Michael
Patrick Joseph Gunn born 1887 Co. Cavan fa: Michael
Patrick Mcllgunn born 1884 Co. Fermanagh

www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Co.
www.igp-web.com + Co.

Annette Code
no relation

Re: GUNNs from Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland to Brooklyn, Kings, New York

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 3:44PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2011 8:23AM GMT
Surnames: Gunn
I will try to figure out which Parish they are in then. I didn't realize there would be a problem if I knew the town they came from.

I do know that my great grandfather was a blacksmith as was his brother and his father. I recently found some cousins of my grandmother's that told me that the family came from Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland. And that the family home is still in possession of the Gunns in Mullinahone. The farm is now dealing with race horses at the moment. I may have found the address to write to.
From what I was told by this recent connection is that they were blacksmiths as the farm still has the forge on it and some of the original house is still present. I will definietly look into what you have suggested.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Re: Gunns from Mullinahone, Tipperary, Ireland to Brooklyn, Kings, NY

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 9:50PM GMT
The RC parish for Mullinahone town and area is Mullinahone.

annclare

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 9:57PM GMT
Forgot to say that Mullinahone is in the Cashel and Emly RC Diocese and most of their parish records are not available online through the family history centres on the rootsireland site.
The records are available on microfilm in the National Library for personal research otherwise you would have to commission research from the TFHR in Tipperary town.

annclare

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 6:25AM GMT
There are 4 Gunn's in the online telephone directory for Tipperary and 3 of them in Mullinahone. Addresses are sufficient for mail delivery, postal codes not required outside of Dublin.

There is also a facebook page from someone in Mullinahone

A website www.mullinahone.net/picturegallery has history and other information.

Annette

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 4:58PM GMT
Can the records be accessed at the family history library itself? As I live in the US and am not able at this time to go to Ireland. How hard is it to search for records in Ireland from afar? I ahve been working on and off over the years and have done Germany without too much trouble through the fmaily history library and my mom was able to write to the church and get soem information from them.

I am in contact with one of the siblings of my great grandfather and they have been over to Ireland several times. They even shared some photos of the family farm. I know he is also planning on going back there next year again.

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 5:01PM GMT
I was wondering about the lack of zip code. I didnt think to search facebook using the town will definetly look into that more.

I have been to the Mullinahone site and made a post on it hoping it was the correct one. Wasn't sure when I saw Mullinahone parrish.

Lisa

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 12:55AM GMT
Call your nearest Latter Day Saints History Center
www.familysearch.org for locations, there will be lots in the US, I live outside Vancouver, Canada and I have two within 40 mi. of me. You will need to ask if they have the microfilm or not, they maybe able to bring it in for a small fee, other than photocopying its just time and perseverance.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic