Search for content in message boards

Family Search

Family Search

Posted: 29 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2006 11:15AM GMT
Surnames: Ackerman
I am trying to find links from Joseph K. Ackerman (b. 1871-1939)to the past. On his death cert. from GA, his mother is listed as Mary Johnston and his father as William Ackerman of S.C. I know he lived in Colleton County until a/b 1914 or 1915. I have searched Ackerman's on LDS and Ancestry without results. Can you help? Thanks.

Dee

Ackerman surname

Posted: 15 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2006 11:15AM GMT
Betty,

I'm sorry I can be of no help to you. I have been unable to find the specific Ackerman I am looking for and have no threads past him. Good luck on your search.

Dee

Jacob Ackerman/Acreman/Akerman

Posted: 15 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: Ackerman, Acreman, Akerman, Holladay, Kelly, Taylor, Dudley, Edwards, Broughten, Andrews, Adams, Hawkins
Do you have a connection to Jacob Akerman who was in Collerton 1800, was in Edgefield 1810? The name Was spelled different ways in same document, Akerman/Ackerman/Acreman, and Christiana herself signed her name Ekerman on Estate settlement in Edgefield in 1826. He married Christiana, Had 4 daughters
Catherine Acreman married James Holladay
Christine Acreman married John Briscoe
_________ Acreman married Jesse Smith
_________ Acreman Married _____ Norris
Hoping you have a connection.
Betty Rackley Taylor
artnframes@aol.com

Ancestors of Joseph K. Ackerman

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2005 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: Ackerman, Johnson, Koger, Westbury, Johnson

According to census and other family history reports I have found, the following is the ancestry of Joseph K. Ackerman, who married Pearl Johnston. Is is NOT primary source information, however, so do not treat it as such.

1) Stephen Clyde Ackerman, b. Germany d. 1792 in Colleton Co., SC.
Married Sarah Luter

2) Stephen Oliver Ackerman, b. 3/16/1784 Colleton Co.
d. 3/8/1849 Colleton Co.
Married Elizabeth Rebecca Koger, b. 10/22/1786
Colleton Co. d. 4/22/1822 Colleton Co.

3) Richmond Nolley Ackerman, b. Apr. 1811 Colleton Co.
d. 11/8/1877 Round O, SC
Married Elizabeth Caroline Westbury, b. 1814 South Carolina

4) Stephen William Ackerman, b. 4/30/1839, d. 9/22/1924
Married Mary Elizabeth Johnson (or Johnston)
11/19/1867. b. 1843, d. 1924

5) Joseph Koger Ackerman
Married Pearl Johnston

I have not discovered Jacob in this family, but it is not impossible that he was part of it; I haven't found it all by any means!

I am most interested in any descendants of Joseph and Pearl. I am trying to research all the descendants all the way down from Richmond Nolley Ackerman and Elizabeth Caroline Westbury. Any help would be appreciated.

Bettie Berry

Joseph K. Ackerman

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2005 1:44PM GMT
Dee,

I feel fairly certain I have information for you, but I would like to be sure that it is the same Joseph K. Ackerman we are talking about. The one I have information on is listed in the 1910 census as being married to Pearl I. (looks like an I) and they had two children, Stephen W., about 12 and Arthur N. (looks like N), about 9. If this fits with your Joseph, let me know and I will send you what I have immediately.

Bettie Berry

James Ackerman

Virginia Hairfield (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Bettie,

In your research of Ackerman, does Stephen William Ackerman b-4/30/1839 have a brother James Ackerman born Nov. 1848 that married Catherine Murray born July 1852. They are my great grandparents.

Stephen W. Ackerman

Posted: 8 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 1:57PM GMT
Surnames: Appleby, Larisey
Dear Virginia & Bettie, Stephen W. Ackerman - b. April 30, 1839 - d. Sept. 22,1924 - along with his wife, Mary C. Johnston - 1843-1924, are buried in the Appleby Methodist Church Cemetery, Colleton, Co. There are several other Ackermans, Murrays and Westburys also buried in this small Cemetery. I feel that somehow they are related to the Applebys or Lariseys. I would appreciate any clue!
Thank you, Gail

James Ackerman

Posted: 8 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Bettie,
After posting my message to you, I found the 1850 Census in St. Georges Parish listing the children of Richmond Ackerman. James was a year old and Stephen was 11. This makes the connection with my family. James married Catherine Murray dau. of Archibald Murray and Elizabeth Inabnet. Children of James and Catherine are: Thomas Ackerman b-1869; Elizabeth Ackerman b-1871; William James b-1877; Mary Jane b- 1878 and Sallie b- January 1883 and died abt. 1908.

I'm sure there will be other questions about the Ackerman family that I'll be calling upon you.

Stephen William Ackerman

Posted: 9 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thanks for giving the place of burial for Stephen and Mary C. Johnston. I'll continue my research for the Ackerman family and will keep in touch.

Thanks again,
Virginia

Appleby-Rumph

Posted: 11 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 1:57PM GMT
Dear Bettie, This info came from the book - The Rumph & Frederick Families - by Louise Frederick Hays.
"David Rumph, born April 1, 1750, baptised in Orangeburgh Church, Sunday, June 17, 1750. Sponsors, Jacob Rumph, William Berry, and Barbara, wife of John Jennings; died 1783. He grew to a man's estate in Colleton. He first married a Miss Lewis, his second Miss Anne Haddock." His daughter, Mary Lewis Rumph, married James Preston Appleby.
Small world isn't it! Kidding aside, I have members of the Berry Family on both my fathers side and mothers. If you are trying to sort out the old families of Orangeburgh, I wish you luck!
I now am trying to piece together the Hughs, Murray, Stokes, Moorer and Schuler genealogies, relevent to my family. When every generation each has up to 15 children, it makes for a lot of people. I will also now look for the name Berry.
My main names are Appleby, Bair, Jones, & Wilson.
Keep in touch - Gail
Virginia, I am still looking for the Ackerman connection!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic