Search for content in message boards

Sparta, Wisconsin Child Center

Sparta, Wisconsin Child Center

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2003 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Sparta, Wisconsin Child Center
Looking for people who lived in the Chld Center. They are planning another reunion for next July and would love to find more people whom have lived there.

Re: Sparta, Wisconsin Child Center

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 1:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Sep 2004 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: Mary Orme
I was an infant in the Child Center in 1951. I would like to learn more about the center at that time and especially talk to someone who worked there. I visited the cemetey today for the first time.
Anna

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2003 3:26PM GMT
Anna:
I wish you good luck on finding the information on the Child Care Center. My mom lived there sometime in the 1950's. I have tried finding information on people that lived there for her, but came to a dead end quite quickly. I was told the names are protected. You can get information on the history of the building at the Monroe County History Museum & Research Room in Sparta, WI. 200 W. Main St. The email address for that is MCLHR@centurytel.net and the web site is www.spartan.org/historyroom. I did give my mom some other names to contact, if u are interested I can get them from her. One of the women help organize the reunion each year. Have you ever attended one? Dee

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 11:56PM GMT
Dee, thank you so much for responding. I was at the Child Center last weekend. I was told at the Visitors Center in Sparta about the reunion. Is that just for staff or babies/children who were at the Center? I would LOVE to talk to someone who worked there in the 50's, especially with the babies. I did learn that in the early 50's the Child Center had its highest number of babies/children, around 400. That seems a lot for those smaller buildings! I didn't like walking through the golf course to get to the cemetery! Poor planning I think. If you know of names to contact, I would appreciate them. Thank you again! Anna

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2003 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Sparta, Wisconsin Child Center
Anna, I got you the name and address of the woman who organizes the reunions: Pat Andringa 11877 County B Sparta, WI. 54656 phone: 608-269-6255. I hope she can help you find things out that you are looking for. The reunions are for staff and children/babies. My mom said when she lived there she even helped take care of some of the babies. Do you have an address where my mom could write to you, maybe you both could swap information with each other. Hope this helps.
Good Luck, Dee

Posted: 22 Sep 2003 10:03PM GMT
Thanks Dee! Here's my information:
Anna Martinson
1913 Hoover Ave
Eau Claire, WI 54701

Billie Bowser (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2003 10:20PM GMT
hi dee,was just browsing the message boards in different
counties and i read yours and anna's messages.i lived there inthe mid-50's.its been a few years (istopped there in 1995)since
i joined the navy in1958.i was born in florence,wi.you can reach me at bowser39@sbcglobal.net (810/789/6263)

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2004 4:46PM GMT
Billie:

Is that your real name or your screen name?
Can I ask how old you were when you lived at the center?

Billie Bowser (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2004 9:46PM GMT
Hi,Dee,yes that is my birth given name.I belief i was 15 when i
arrived at the center.iwas in cottage h,which was the older boys.
Ijoined the navy in Febuary of 1958.I'm now 64 years old,married
with 6children 1boy out of the6.there all grown up.TENgrandkids
and one great grandchild(boy)

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2004 4:39AM GMT
Billie, Thanx for the reply...sounds like u have a wonderful life filled with children.
My mom is married with 5 grown children, one boy out of that bunch too. She has 7 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren(one boy). I am not sure how old my mom was when she lived there, I know she was in her teens also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic