Search for content in message boards

Willie Mae Littlejohn Fleming b. Cherokee County, South Carolina

Willie Mae Littlejohn Fleming b. Cherokee County, South Carolina

Posted: 2 Jul 2011 11:25PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 2 Jul 2011 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: LITTLEJOHN, FLEMING
SPARTANBURG, S. Carolina – Willie Mae Fleming, 82, of 882 Logan St., died Wednesday, March 9, 2005, at Magnolia Manor in Inman.

A native of Cherokee County, South Carolina she was the daughter of the late Sam Littlejohn and the late Mamie Brown Littlejohn.

She is preceded in death by her husband Wil Fleming.

She attended Maxwell Baptist Church in Spartanburg and had resided in Spartanburg for over 50 years.

Surviving are five nieces, Debra Harris of the home, whom she considered a daughter, Berthenia Morrow, Carolyn Martin, both of Spartanburg, Dorothy Cumberlander of Gaffney and Jessie Mae Davidson of Alexandria, Virginia; four nephews, Rev. Monroe Dawkins, Clyde Dawkins, Willie Floyd Jefferies and Rev. Virgil Dawkins, all of Gaffney, SC.

Services will be held Saturday at 3 p.m. at Indian Hill Baptist Church, conducted by the Revs. Mary D. Jefferies, Lawrence Davidson, William Jones, Lee Byers and Virgil Dawkins. Burial will be in Limestone Cemetery. Body will be placed in the church at 2 p.m.

Pallbearers will be Johnny Cumberlander Jr., Henry Cumberlander, Spencer Brannon, Timothy Dawkins, Kelsey Harris, Brandon Jefferies, Frederick Degree and Roy Dawkins.

Honorary pallbearers will be Donny Dawkins and Tommy Gladney.

Flower bearers will be Angela Jefferies, Denise Dawkins, Tina Harris, Vette Dawkins, Threasa Cumberlander, Kimberly Cumberlander, Tammy Dawkins and Kita Dawkins.

Honorary flower bearers will be Vora Clark, Charles Ann Gory, Dorothy Nesbitt, Denise Smith and Shirley Talley.

The family will receive friends at the home of her nephew, Rev. Virgil Dawkins, 204 Annette St., Gaffney, and at 882 Logan St., Spartanburg.

Arrangements by Foster Funeral Home, Gaffney.

COURTESY POST

Re: Willie Mae Littlejohn Fleming b. Cherokee County, South Carolina

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 2:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
MY NAME IS SHERRY WILLIAMS-NOW GOODWINE, MY GRANDMOTHER WAS BUFFORD ANNIE LITTLE-JOHN WE BURRIED MY GRANDMOTHER AT THE GAFFNEY CEMENTARY FUNERAL HOME OWNED BY THE LITTLE-JOHNS. I REMEMBERED GOING TO TWO FAMILY REUNIONS WHEN I WAS A CHILD AT WILLIE MAE'S HOUSE AND MY GRANDMOTHER'S NICK NAME FOR HER WAS (MY-OR MIE) NOT SURE WHY, BUT BECAUSE I LEFT FOOD AROUND MY MOUTH WHEN I ATE, I WAS CALLED HER UP UNTIL I WAS A GROWN WOMAN NOW 41 WITH CHILDREN OF MY OWN NOW. MY FAMILY IS SPREAD OUT THE UNITED STATES NORTH CAROLINA, CALIFORNIA, MARYLAND AND WHO KNOWS WHERE ELSE, I AM CURRENTLY IN COLORADO IN THE MILITARY. I WANT TO BE CONNECTED TO MY FAMILY AND SHARE MY HISTORY WITH MY GIRLS.

Daisy Littlejohn Dawkins

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 6:44PM GMT

Daisy L. Dawkins
Retired from Modern Laundry
Daisy Littlejohn Dawkins, 82, of 418 W. Carlisle St., widow of David Dawkins Sr., died Tuesday, April 10, 2001, at her home.
A native of Cherokee County, South Carolina she was the daughter of the late Sam Littlejohn and the late Mammie Brown Littlejohn.
She was a retired employee of Modern Laundry and was of the Holiness faith.
Surviving are four sons, the Rev. Monroe Dawkins, the Rev. Virgil Dawkins and Clyde Dawkins, all of Gaffney, and Bobby Lee Littlejohn of Orange, N.J.; three daughters, Dorothy Cumberlander, Tina D. Harris and Deborah Harris, all of Gaffney; two sisters, Willie Mae Fleming of Spartanburg and Sarah Jefferies of Gaffney; 22 grandchildren, two of them, Timothy Dawkins and Kelsey Harris, she reared in the home as her children; 42 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.
Arrangements will be announced by Foster Funeral Home.

Mary Elizabeth Littlejohn

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Tate, Hill
Mary Elizabeth Littlejohn, 83, of Magnolia Manor, Greenwood, formerly of 128 Russell St., Gaffney, South Carolina died Monday, Aug. 8, 2011, at Hospice House in Greenwood from a massive stroke.

She was the daughter of the late James Frank Littlejohn and Mamie Jane Tate Hill Littlejohn.
A graduate of Gaffney High School and Winthrop College, Miss Littlejohn worked in secretarial positions in Washington, D.C., Culver City, Calif., and Charlotte, N.C. She moved back to Gaffney in 1973.

Her avocation was writing. She published four volumes of sonnets – one for each season of the year. She also wrote short stories and limericks – many of them comical. She played the piano and enjoyed watching political programs on television.

Miss Littlejohn was raised in the Baptist faith and attended Unitarian Universalist Churches in Washington, D.C., and California.

She is survived by a niece, Melissa Daniel Sizemore of Waterloo, S.C., and three nephews, Dr. David E. Daniel of Midland, Texas, Henry Jefferson Smith of Hawaii and Andrew Lee Smith of California. Also surviving is a cousin, Watson Burts of Charlotte.

She was preceded in death by her parents and two half sisters, Helen Hill Daniel Martin of Gaffney and Blacksburg and Mozelle Hill Smith of Fort Bragg, California, and a special cousin, Ruth Littlejohn Burts.

The family expresses gratitude for the 10 years of loving care provided to Mary by all the staff of Magnolia Manor, Greenwood, and Health Related Personnel, Greenwood. Thankfulness is also expressed to Self Regional Healthcare and Hospice House, Greenwood. Thanks also to her lifelong friends, Shirley Upton Parris, Steve and Joyce Smith and Jerome Wilson.

Graveside services will be held in the Littlejohn family plot in Oakland Cemetery at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011 with the Rev. Marc Coker officiating . Memorials may be sent to Friends of the Library, Limestone College, 1115 College Drive, Gaffney, SC 29340.

Harley Funeral Home and Crematory, Greenwood, (www.harleyfuneralhome.com) is in charge of arrangements.

William Littlejohn

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 7:05PM GMT
William Littlejohn, 89, of 200 Fort Meade Road, Laurel, Maryland, husband of Frances Rogers Littlejohn, passed on Sunday, April 10, 2011, in Maryland.

Son of the late Freeman Littlejohn and the late Lois Hoey Littlejohn, he was a native of Gaffney, South Carolina and at an early age he joined Mount Tabor Baptist Church in Gaffney.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by three sisters, Lizzie Littlejohn, Annie Littlejohn, both of Gaffney, and Nettie Mearite of Thomasville, N.C.; a brother, Robert Littlejohn of Gaffney; a sister in-law, Lottie Mayberry of Gaffney; a brother in law, Hydric Littlejohn of Gaffney; and a host of nieces, nephews and other relatives.

Services will be Monday, April 18, at 10:30 a.m. at J.B. Jenkins Funeral Home, 7474 Landover Road, Landover, Md.

The family is at the residence, 200 Fort Meade Road, Laurel, MD 20707.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic