Search for content in message boards

John Lothian

John Lothian

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 4:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lothian, Park
Hi
I am trying to trace anything at all about the origins of a John Lothian. he was born about 1855 in or around Edinburgh. He appears on the 1881 Census in St. Asaph, Wales - Married to Jane. He died in St. Asaph in 1919. His children are Janet Lothian & Mezies Park Lothian. Possibly his wife was originally Jane Park?

Many thanks
Chris

Re: John Lothian

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 10:44PM GMT
Have you got access to 1891 and 1901 censuses? If not this is what they show:

John Lothian, head, 36, b Scotland
Jane, wife, 32, b Scotland
Janet, daughter, b St Asaph
Menzies, daughter, b St Asaph

John Lothian, head, widower, 46, b Scotland
Janet, daughter, 21, b St Asaph
Minnie, daughter, 15, b St Asaph
Janet Park, mother, 66, b Scotland

You might also be interested to know that there is a small estate of pensioners' bungalows called Lothian Park in St Asaph. I don't know much about St Asaph's history, but I would guess that these were built a long time after 1919. You'd probably need to go through the Parish Council records to find out if there's any connection.

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 10:45PM GMT
Have you got access to 1891 and 1901 censuses? If not this is what they show:

John Lothian, head, 36, b Scotland
Jane, wife, 32, b Scotland
Janet, daughter, b St Asaph
Menzies, daughter, b St Asaph

John Lothian, head, widower, 46, b Scotland
Janet, daughter, 21, b St Asaph
Minnie, daughter, 15, b St Asaph
Janet Park, mother, 66, b Scotland

You might also be interested to know that there is a small estate of pensioners' bungalows called Lothian Park in St Asaph. I don't know much about St Asaph's history, but I would guess that these were built a long time after 1919. You'd probably need to go through the Parish Council records to find out if there's any connection.

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 11:36AM GMT
Hi
Many thanks for your reply. I do have the 1901,1891. & 1881 censuses for John Lothian in St. Asaph. I think I have found him on an 1861 census in Cranston nr Edinburgh. I cannot find him anywhere on an 1871 census!

The fact about the Bungalows is very interesting and I will follow this up.

Many thanks
Chris

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 5:31PM GMT
I was mistaken about the bungalows! Lothian's Park is in fact a terrace of 6 houses.
In the 1901 census John Lothian is living at The Railway Inn. Scroll back a few pages (from 7 to 4) and you will find Lothian's Park. Do the same in 1891 and Lothian's Park isn't there. Even allowing that the enumerator might not have travelled the same route, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't exist, as an adjacent street, Bronwylfa Square is present in both years.
I've also found a map in an old book on St Asaph's history, which shows 2 fields to the rear of the properties on Chester Street, i.e. where The Railway Inn was. Written across the fields is Lothian's Park. The map isn't dated, but the book was published in 1898.
My guess is that John Lothian owned the fields on which the terrace was built, some time between 1891 and 1901.
Hope this is of interest.

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 2:48PM GMT
Hi
Many thanks for that info.
Regards
Chris

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 11:33PM GMT
Hi i know this thread is very old but i think i maybe a relative of john lothian i was wondering if you managed to find anything out if you could contact me

thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions