Search for content in message boards

HARRIS of NC and Robertson Co., TN

HARRIS of NC and Robertson Co., TN

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 7:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jan 2006 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Lewis, Benson, Brakefield, Luie, Munday, Monday
I am having a very difficult time finding any further information on my HARRIS ancestors. I truly hope someone out there can help me!

William HARRIS, Sr. b.1792 NC d. 1855 Robertson Co.,TN
m. abt. 1817 to Temperance (maiden name unk), b.1800 VA

children:
1.William, b.1818 TN m. Leah LEWIS d. 1868 Jersey Co.,IL
2.Samuel, b.1820 TN
3.Mary, b.1823 TN m. Calvin BENSON
4.Martha A., b.1825 TN (poss. married to Byram Brakefield)
5.baby girl (name unk), b.1827 TN d. in infancy
6.Susan, b.1829 TN (poss. married to James Brakefield)
7.Mahala, b.1831 TN (poss. married to L.H. Luie)
8.Lucinda, b.1833 TN

Temperance's maiden name may have been Munday or Monday and there is a possibility that she was William's second wife.

William may have been the father of some other, older children perhaps born in NC. Interestingly, there was mention of the estateof an R. T, Harris of Montgomery County in William Harris' 1855 administration records. An R. T. Harris also died in early 1855 in Montgomery Co., TN - the estate mentioned no Harrises and consisted mostly of textbooks and riding gear.

Does anyone out there have any further information on this Harris family?

Re: HARRIS of NC and Robertson Co., TN

Posted: 31 Oct 2009 1:59AM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2009 10:16AM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Rose
I too am very interested in this Harris family.I have an Allen Harris who in a Jersey Ill. marriage record lists his parents as Will Harris and ????Monday.He married Nancy Rose.Also Martha Harris married an Alfred Rose in Robertson county.In 1860 both Allen and Martha's families are in Carroll Co. Missouri.Allen lists his parents as being born in NC and VA same as these Harris's.There is an 1807 marriage record in Virginia for William Harris and Tempy Monday.Trouble is there is another William and Tempy Harris in Indiana? which may be them.
The Jersey Ill and Robertson Co. connections are interesting
Tempy's age could be wrong in 1850(not that much of a stretch)
Have you learned anymore?

Posted: 11 Feb 2010 5:33AM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Rose
I have Allen Harris as my 4 gr grandfather. He was married to Nancy Rose in Robertson Co. TN and was in Logan Co. KY in 1850. He married as his 3 wife, Lucinda Watson Harris, his sister-in-law in Jersey Co. IL. She had been married to his brother Samuel J. Harris and was the Lucinda on the 1850 census with Will & Tempry Harris in Robertson Co. TN. He was born in Orange Co. NC (Allen) and was in Logan Co. KY in 1860 then Carroll Co. MO and died in Barton Co. MO. Since his wedding appl. in IL names has parents as Will Harris and Tempry Mundy or Monday, the assumption is that the ones in Robertson Co. TN were his parents - wrong ages!

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
I am also searching for Harris in North Carolina/Georgia. I am looking for Floyd Benjamin Hawell/Howell) Harris born Dec 4, 1884. This is my Great Grandfather. On my Grandpas birth certificate it had Floyds birth place as North Carolina then 10 years later there was a revised Birth Certificate that listed Floyds birth state as Georgia.

Here are 2 stories that maybe some one can relate to.

One night the family was at the dinning room table when they heard a baby cry, the sound was coming from under the table. There were no infant children living in the house at that time. Days later they received word of their family who had been traveling by wagon. An infant child had been bounced out of the wagon and crushed under the wagon wheel.

Another story

My GGrandfather and his brother/cousin were riding down a country road when they came across a house that had been abandoned for some time. There was a lady standing in the door waving a water pail. My GGrandfather and his brother/cousin went and fetched the woman water. Upon returning to the old home there was no sign of the woman and no sign that there had been anyone there.

I know these stories are kinda far out but thats how they have been relayed to me over the years.

BTY - I live in Robertson County, Tennessee so if there is anything that I can do to help just let me know. The court house isnt that far from me. If you know of the town they lived in that would help too. Each little town around here has their own historians and I know several of them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions