Search for content in message boards

Lucinda McLean m. Robert Searson then John Chartres/Charters

Lucinda McLean m. Robert Searson then John Chartres/Charters

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 7:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLean, Searson, Charters, Chartres, Chartress
I am trying to find out more about a Lucinda (probably McLean) born in Co. Derry. She was married to a Robert Searson. They had at least two daughters (Henrietta and Maria) who were baptised in the parish of Clonmacnois, Co. Offaly in the early 1840s.

Robert Searson died in 1844 and Lucinda seems to have married John Charters/Chartres of Shannonbridge in Clonmacnois parish, Co. Offaly, date unknown.

In the 1901 Offaly Census she is listed as Lucinda Chartress, aged 90, a widow, born in Co. Derry.

Re: Lucinda McLean m. Robert Searson then John Chartres/Charters

Posted: 24 Nov 2009 2:49PM GMT
I am the great grandson of George Eagar McLain b 1808 son of Richard McLain family records talk of two sisters of George, one who married man named Caithness and had four sons in Sandy Mount Dublin and another who had a daughter Henrietta who married George Luker. I have long suspected that the sister was Lucenda Charters deducing that she was married twice to someone named Searson and then John Charters, which you confirm. Lucenda died in 1904 supposedly at age 100. I have lots of information about George Eagar, what is your relationship?
Terry

Posted: 24 Nov 2009 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: McLain, Chartres, Charters
My connection is with John Chartres, Lucinda's second husband. I have been in contact with another McLain descendant who discovered that another brother, James, was born in 1805 when their father was stationed with the Militia in Co. Derry. We assume that is how Lucinda came to be born in Derry too but there is no record of her baptism there.

Posted: 24 Nov 2009 3:28PM GMT
Terry, you are my cousin. My 4th-great grandfather was Henry McLain, who was Richard McLain's younger brother. The entire family was originally in King's County. They came there from Edinburgh in 1786. George Eagar's mother is Mary Eagar, I have them in the 1802 census of Protestants in Tullamore.

Richard remarried around 1828 and moved to Ballymahon, Longford after he retired from the King's Co. Militia, and remarried a Jane, having three more children. I am in contact with the descendents of some of those children.

Children of Richard McLain & Mary Eagar

i. George McLain, b. 1799 King's Co., d. 1802 Tullamore, King's Co.
ii. Lucinda McLain, b. 1804, Londonderry, Co. Derry, d. Nov. 17, 1904 Shannonbridge
iii. James McLain, b. Oct 1805, Londonderry, Co. Derry
iv. George Eagar McLain, b. 1808 Channel Islands
v. Henrietta McLain, b. King's Co.

Children of Richard McLain and Jane:
i. James McLain, b. 1828 Ballymahon, Co. Longford
ii.Henry McLain, b. 1831 Ballymahon, Co. Longford
iii. Elizabeth McLain, b. 1834, Ballymahon

Richard McLain died around 1840 in Kildordan, a small townland outside Ballymahon.

My branch of the McLains were in Clara outside Tullamore until 1866-67 when they came to NYC. When my gr-gr- grandfather was just 5 years old in 1870, his father died and his mother remarried, our surname changed to Beal. I just discovered this a few years ago and have been doing endless research, but hitting alot of brick walls because of so many missing parish records.

Are you descended of Henry Thomson or George Ranelagh?
I was in contact with a man named Jack Walker about your family tree, but he didn't have much more info

Posted: 24 Nov 2009 8:06PM GMT
Terry, just wondering...did you find any source showing the dates of the marriages of Lucinda McLain/John Chartres and Henrietta Searson/George Henry Luker?

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 3:55PM GMT
Hi Cousin, I am descended from George Ranelagh McLain, my Grandfather, through his younger son George Edward.
I don't know how much information you have but:
George Eagar after fighting with the British Auxiliary Legion in the Carlist Wars in 1848 leased Blackwater Lodge Farm from Henry Paisley L'Estrange(subsequently through marriage inheritance Viscount Ashrook) he lived there until 1862 when he married Anna Sturges Thomson daughter of Thomas James Thomson and cousin of Viscount Ranelagh in Old Windsor,Berks. I am not sure of the source of his connection with Windsor but believe it might be Viscount Ashbrook for whom he acted as a rent collector. He returned to Ireland after marriage where his three sons were born and then returned in 1868 to Windsor where he died in November 1878 age 70. His marriage certificate states tha he was the son of Richard McLain, Captain Adjutant in the Kings County Militia but interestingly the marriage ceremony was performed by Reverend Richard McLain who is prominent on the guest list with Beresford L'Estrange as travelling from Ireland. I have never been able to deduce what relation Rev. Richard was.
In the 1820's George Eagar was a private in the Royal Artillery, at that time he was made a mason in the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin (May 9,1822)
I have much more information and some questions?
What is the basis (source) for believing the family came from Edinburgh in 1786? my cousin also believes this she also believes Richard's father was George. This would make the Eagar family the principal tie to Kings County
Are you deducing Henry (1794) was Richard's younger brother rather than nephew?
What is the source for Richards move to Ballymahon and his second marriage etc? Maybe he also had another son Richard.
Richard and family must have moved extensively with the Militia, especially given Gerge Eagar's 1871 claim to have been born in Guernsey, but it was the time of the Napoleonic Wars.
Cousin Terry

Posted: 26 Nov 2009 1:25PM GMT
I have not been able to find marriage dates for either of the marriages, I do have birth and death records for Charters for Banagher Union that I obtained from OHAS in Tulllamore if you are interested.
Terry

Posted: 26 Nov 2009 1:51PM GMT
Terry, I would love to get that Charters info from you. Susan Chartres Johnston (c1821-1888) is my great-great-grandmother. She was a sister of the John Chartres who married Lucinda McLain. I have obtained some certs for members of the family but perhaps you have additional info?

Thanks

Posted: 26 Nov 2009 2:30PM GMT
This is what I have:
Baptisms/Births Clonmacnoise register 1828-1874
1828 Feb 22 William son of John and Sarah
1850 Aug 31/Sep 15 John son of Joseph and Jane
1852 Mar 3 /Apr 18 Sarah Eliza daughter of Joseph and Jane
1854 Jul 7/Aug6 Edward Thomas son of Joseph and Jane
1857 May 13/May 31 Amelia daughter of Joseph and Jane

Deaths Banagher Union 1818-1983
May 26 1850 John Charters Clonmacnoise 78 Tissaran
Oct 10 1859 Sarah Charters Clonmacnoise 76 Clonmacnoise
Oct 10 1859 Sarah Charters Shannonbridge 74 Tissaran
!869 John Charters Shannonbridge 50 Tissaran
May 12 1891 Rosanna Charters Shannonbridge 60 Tissaran
Feb 22 1895 Joseph Charters Shannonbridge 86 Tissaran
Feb 11 1899 Emily Charters Shannonbridge 40 Tissaran
Nov 20 1904 Lucy Charters ShannonBridge 100 Clonmacnoise
These were transcribed by Ann Horan of OHAS in 1999.
Terry

Posted: 26 Nov 2009 2:36PM GMT
I have just found a note I made at the Dublin Record office as follows:
Marriage at Banagher Henrietta Searson and George Luker June 30 1869 also birth of George Luker May 15 1871.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions