Search for content in message boards

Family History

Family History

Ruth Coder (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blixhavn, Blikshavn
I am looking for any information about my family name. My Grandfather was Tore Mathias Blixhavn born in Kopervik in 1877,who came to the United States with his mother when he was 5 years old. His father was Tore Andreas Blikshavn who was a sailor and who dided in 1881. Tore Andreas was married to Anne Martha Midstokke who brought her son to America about 1883. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Family History

Posted: 19 Jul 2002 6:19PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2002 5:08PM GMT
My brother-in-laws grandfather was Magnus Blixhaven who came from either Norway or Sweden. He changed his last name to Anderson. Have not found any background on his family. Do you have more information on the Blixhavn family then what you posted? Maybe there is a connection.

Posted: 2 Dec 2002 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Blixhavn, Dale, Midstokke
>My Grandfather was Tore Mathias Blixhavn born in Kopervik in 1877,who came to the United States with his mother when he was 5 years old. His father was Tore Andreas Blikshavn who was a sailor and who dided in 1881. Tore Andreas was married to Anne Martha Midstokke who brought her son to America about 1883<

This Blixhavn and Midstokke and Kopervik are in Rogaland fylke (county), on the island of Karmøy near Haugesund and across the Boknafjord from Stavanger.
Check out the Slektsforum Karmøy site at http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no/english/index.html

Go to the County Books (Bygdebøker on the Norwegian page), and you will find a list with several farm names, some of which have files attached with more information. You will find this family listed under the Midstokke farm.

Use your search function on your browser to look for "Tore Andreas" and you will find Tore Andreas Didriksen near the bottom of the page, on A.o. 16 (a.o. is an abbreviation for the Norse words meaning "other inhabitants" listed at the end after the ones who operated the numbered subfarms). You will also find more on Anna Martha's ancestors in this file, farther up near the beginning on bnr. 1.

You won't find a Blixhavn or Blikshavn in the farm listings under county books. Blixhavn is the name of a harbor and most of it appears to be under the farm called Dale in Skudenes, though some of it is also under Snørteland. The parents of Tore Andreas are on Dale bnr. 12. You will find other ancestors on many of the otehr farm files on this site, such as Stava and Søndenå.

Email me for more information.

Gene Nygaard

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 1:00AM GMT
Do you have any approximate dates for your Magnus Anderson Blixhavn? Your guess will be better than mine. Any additional information such as wife's name that might help identify him?
Also, check out the http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no/english/index.html
site I discussed in the reply to the original poster, and check out especially the Dale farm in Skudenes parish. It is pretty likely your Magnus came from there.
I have a Magnus Blikshavn (don't know patronymic) whose wife Anna was b. 1909 (have information on her ancestors, but haven't identified his). But one problem with the name Magnus is that it is often a second given name, so I might have him under a different first name in my files making it harder to find. Approximate dates will help that way.
Gene Nygaard

Edith Svenson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2002 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Blixhavn, Anderson
Magnus was born in 1882 in Norway. His wife name was Inga, she was b. 1887 in North Dakota. Don't know her maiden name. That's all the dates I have. I do know that Magnus lived in ND. before he came to Montana.

Ruth Coder (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 3:05AM GMT
I don't know of any Magnus Blixhavn in our family. My Grandfather was the only son in his family. Thor Mattias (my Grandfather) grew up in Sharon , North Dakota. He did grow up living with relatives but I don't know what their name was. Are there any other names in Magnus' family that you know of, maybe some of them would make a connection to our family because I never heard of another Blixhavn family in that area.

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 4:03AM GMT
Ruth, all I know about Magnus Blixhavn Anderson is that he came from Norway, was 36 in 1920. He had a brother in ND and Magnus' wife Inga was born in ND was 33 in 1920 and her parents were from Norway. Don't know what her maiden name was.She did not like the name Blixhavn so they had it changed to Anderson. Magnus owned land in ND which his great-grand daughter has now inherited, the county I don't know. He went to Montana and was living there in 1920.Both lived there until their deaths. Magnus and Inga had two sons, Albert Lyle and Russell, both now dead. That is all the information I have at this time. How are you connected to the Blizhavns?

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 5:42PM GMT
So far I haven't had much luck tracking down a Magnus Anderson Blixhavn b. 1882. One possibility is an Albert Mandius Blikshavn b. 1882 who d. after 1902 according to the entry under his parents on Dale bnr. 8 at http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no

Apparently they lost track of him after then, so he might have come to America. I have sometimes seen Magnus and Mandius interchanged, don't know how common it was. This one is listed in the 1901 census under the name Mandius Andersen Blixhavn on the Blixhavn farm (under the Dale farm in both the printed and online bygdebok). His parents were Anders Helgesen Blikshavn and Anna Marta Andersdatter Øvrebø.

Gene Nygaard

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 7:45PM GMT
The son Albert makes Albert Mandius Anderson I mentioned in the other message a slightly better possibility. Do you know if the brother was named Berdines (or some variant such as Ben or Burt)? Or maybe Daniel?
Gene Nygaard

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 5:39AM GMT
Thanks Gene for your research on Magnus Blixhavn. I don't know where to go from here with such a small amount of information on my end of the research. He did end up in ND for some time then went to Montana where he lived and died.
I was hoping to make contact with some of his brothers family who may be able to fill in the blanks, such as when did they come to America and something about their family in Norway. Maybe his brother didn't have children and that is why I can't locate any.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic