Search for content in message boards

Lost Letters I want to return to a family

Lost Letters I want to return to a family

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 4:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ?
Hi I found these letters at a flee market, I have had someone translate the first page but I was wondering if anyone saw Surnames I can do research on to try and find the family's. Thanks so much.
Attachments:

Re: Lost Letters I want to return to a family

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 3:00AM GMT
If you don't get a response here, you might try the translators message board. Someone there may be more familiar with the writing style and can pick out names. You can find it under Research Resources, then choose Translation, and then Translators.

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 4:50AM GMT
thanks alot! :) I will try that one.

Posted: 2 May 2012 11:18AM GMT
The last letter of the top line looks like it is Ayrshire, so presumably that is an address in Ayrshire, Scotland? Second line down, fifth word in is Irvine (which is in Ayrshire)? So it looks like they are talking about Scotland at least. I wonder if it's written in Gaelic? lol it's dense enough to be! Where did you find it?

Posted: 3 May 2012 1:16AM GMT
Someone said it was maybe German? But maybe scotland instead. i cant read any of it. lol I found 3 of them together at a flee market in pevely,missouri. Thanks so much for the response!

Posted: 3 May 2012 11:24AM GMT
I've got a Gaelic dictionary, I'll take a look at it, if you like :)

Posted: 3 May 2012 11:26AM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2012 1:47PM GMT
Maybe I am thinking Doric rather than Gaelic... in my opinion :) I'll translate a bit using Doric as a guide :)

Looks like the first line is an address:
Main = Home farm/estate, allarbr... a place?... The next word I presume, is an area in Ayrshire, then Ayrshire.

It's hard to read, but the second line, "muir Irvine", if it is Doric, would mean moor Irvine. As in, the moors around Irvine.

Irin Roffno mentioned is a name,(Irin is a version of Irene)... But I don't think that is what it means here. Roffno I suggest is a name, but Irin or Imin... It comes up like we might use mr or miss, don't you think?... I don't know what that means... Johnny W again a name... Ann seems to be someone they all know, because she does not have a surname... If I was you, I might link the letter to the surname Roffno.

The "Depot" is mentioned a lot, I presume that means the same as it does now...

Line 5, "bride" means to "live"... Line 5 and 14 and the last but one lines, "gang" means "go"... Lines 8, 9, 10 and 11 have "fin" somewhere near the end, which means "when", in Doric.

Its such a strange letter! I looked at the first page only, but phrases like "pin down", "down pin", and "down", seemed to come up again and again! Could someone have been picking up the local dialect too? It doesn't sound a Scottish phrase...

I would be pretty sure its Doric, but you can't translate it to English directly, there are words in Doric that don't exist in English. It sounds like a very interesting letter, but it would take ages to translate as it's so hard to read. But you can get books to help...

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 4:50AM GMT
On the last letter at the bottom ..looks like a name Mary last name starts with a Z. betty

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 2:41PM GMT
Maybe you found someone who has been able to translate this on the translation site - but in case it is still a puzzle it is most definitely German, written in the old German script. You need someone who is an expert with the old handwriting.

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 2:50PM GMT
Is there a way to send this paper to my email ..efacciuto59@yahoo.com
I have amish friends who might translate it for you and also my son speaks german ..betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic