Search for content in message boards

Lester Meeks b. Sept 1971 Anchorage Alaska

Lester Meeks b. Sept 1971 Anchorage Alaska

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 9:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meeks
Seeking an obit for Lester (Lowell Lester Jr.) Meeks, b. May 15, 1943 in Austin, Tx. d. Sept 1971 and is buried in the Angelus Memorial Park Cem. Believe Lester died as a result of an commercial air plane crash. Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Lester Meeks b. Sept 1971 Anchorage Alaska

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 9:44AM GMT

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 11:46AM GMT
Thanks for the reply. There are alot of articles about that ill-fated flight. I did stumble onto one that actually had the passenger list, Lester's name was there. From what I've read, the passengers probably didn't know what was coming. Thanks again.

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 3:18AM GMT
Yes, just as you said, Lester Meeks was a passenger.

Daily Sitka Sentinel
Sitka, Alaska
Tuesday, September 07, 1971
Page 1
ALASKA JETLINER CRASH KILLS 111
15 SITKA-BOUND PASSENGERS ABOARD
Passenger list (#52)
52. Lester Meeks, Anchorage

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 7:18PM GMT
I was a close friend of Lester and his wife prior to his untimely death. Two of his friends were flown to Alaska to assist in identification of remains. For additional information reply for email address. David

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 12:14AM GMT
Lester was my husband's cousin. Lester's mother, Anna Mae Meeks, was my mother-in-laws sister. I would appreciate knowing what you know about Lester and his family. I remember meeting Lester once, here in Dallas at his grandmother's house. I was lucky to find an article about the airplane crash with Lesters' name on the passenger list.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 2:54PM GMT

Be glad to assist in your research, you may email to
dr.davidputnam@gmail.com.

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 2:02AM GMT
Jan Wallace,

Recently, I made an inquiry into the death of my high school friend, Lester Meeks, from Austin, Tx. Is your husband's cousin Lester and my friend Lester the same person?
Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Janet Grandinetti
Spice wood, Tx.
512-507-9104

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 2:14PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2013 2:01AM GMT
Yes, I believe we are talking about the same Lester Meeks.
Lesters' mother, Anna Mae Long Meeks, was my husbands' Aunt. You can see a pic of Lesters' gravestone. Just go to www.findagrave.com, select Alaska, put in Meeks for the surname, you should find it. I don't remember the name of the cemetery, off the stop of my head. If you think we are talking about the same person, email me back. By the way, both my husband and I were born and raised in Austin, although we don't live there now. We live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area of Texas. My husbands people are buried in the Bee Cave Baptist Church cem and they have a private cemetery, The Wallace Cem., both in the Spicewood area. They are also online in findagrave.

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 10:24PM GMT
Sooo glad to hear from you. It does look like we have a match. Lester and I dated in high school. After graduating in 1961, we lost touch. There have been 3 high school reunions in the last 50 years, the most recent one in April last year. He has certainly been missed. Finally I decided to find out what really happened to him. I hope he found some measure of joy and happiness despite the challenges in his life-----with what little information I have gathered about Lester, I find myself getting rather emotional about the facts yet I don't have all the answers.
Would it be possible to speak with you sometime? Thanks so much, Jan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions