Edited: 26 Jun 2001 9:59PM GMT
Does anyone know if the Barnetts in Spartanburg
County were mostly of the Quaker religion? Also,
did any of these Barnetts change their name from
Barnard?

Spartanburg County Barnetts

Denise (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2000 5:38AM GMT
I don't know the answer to you question but I was wondering, in you search, have you found a Jim Barnett married to Ortha Barnett. One of their daughters was named Emma Exeller Barnett. If so, please contact me, kadeedances@aol.com
Thanks in advance

Spartanburg Barnett's

Mary Jane Brock (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2000 5:38PM GMT
If the Barnett's were Quaker in VA by the time of the Rev' War they had picked up their rifles to fight the British and had become Baptist.Joseph Royal(Joroyal) was a Bap. Minister in the early 1800,at Boiling Springs Bap.Church Near Spartanburg SC. Oh yes he fought in the SC Militia,Recieving a land grant for this action!
Mary Jane

Barnetts of Spartenburg

Posted: 30 Aug 2000 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2001 8:41PM GMT
Pat, My understanding is that most of the Barnetts of Spartenburg were Baptist but I saw something someplace that Thomas Barnett was a Quaker and he furnished Horses for the war. My family comes from these Barnetts I have as far back as Joseph Barnett Born Oct 1731 in Goochland Va he was married to Katherine Farrar on Oct 3 1754 If you want anymore information please let me know. I would like to have the information that you have. Thanks Brenda

Spartanburg Barnetts

Cindy Barnett Weyer (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 5:35PM GMT
In some notes taken from my aunt, Mary Barnett Edwards, the line back from Joseph Barnett is John Barnett (who changed the name from Bernard to Barnett), John Bernard, Sr. b. 1661, d. 1709, and Richard Bernard, who came from London and died in Purton, VA.
I myself am looking for the line down from Joseph Royal, father of Jeremiah Elias, father of Divalia (sp.? - nickname Valda or Big Ross), father of Luther Langston (or Levi, also known as Little Ross), father of Samuel Joseph (my grandfather), father of Luther Cletus (my father). My research seems to stop from Joseph Royal (Joroyal) on down - I cannot find children of Jeremiah Elias and on down the line to trace my ancestry. Do you know of the Barnetts down from Joroyal, Jeremiah, Valda, Luther and Samuel Joseph? Or does anyone??
Thanks,

Cindy Barnett Weyer
rcweyer@inter-linc.net

Barnett Family in SC

Jennifer Holt (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2000 2:53PM GMT
Hi, I am researching my grandfathers family. My grandfather, Jesse L. Barnett, was born July 6, 1902 in Spartanburg, SC. He was the son of Thomas Otis Barnett (b. 1-17-1879, d. 9-16-1949) and Nettie Jane Poole (b. 12-31-1883, d. 1-9-1938). Thomas was the son of Pyron (Parn) Barnett (b. 3-10-1847, d.9-18-1902) and Emily A. Hensley (b. 4-13-1850, d. 2-24-1920). Pyron and Emily were married 3-24-1867 in Henderson Co., NC.
If any one has any information on this line, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 8:23AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 5:16PM GMT
BRENDA,
DO YOU HAVE OR KNOW WHERE I CAN GET INFORMATION ON THE PARENTS OF WILLIAM BARNETT THE FATHER OF JOHN BARNETT, MARRIED TO KATHERINE FARRAR. WILLIAM WAS MARRIED TO ANNA ROLFE ABT. 1665
THE PARENTS OF ELIZABETH L. LEWIS IF YOU KNOW THEM OR THAT LINE.
THE REASON I AM LOOKING FOR WILLIAMS PARENTS IS THERE WERE 2 BARNETTS THAT CAME TO VA. IN 1620. JOHN AGE 26 AND THOMAS AGE 16. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF ONE OF THEM IS THE FATHER OR GRANDFATHER. I HAVE EXHAUSTED 2 GENEALOGY REFERENCE LIBRARYS AND NO-ONE IN VA. CAN HELP. IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP.
BEST,

PROFESSOR WILLIAM BARNETT
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 10:15PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2001 8:41PM GMT
Bill,
I don't have any information on the parents of John parents only the names of william and Anna Rolfe. I did find where the two Barnetts came to Virginia 1924/25 from England. You asked about Elizabeth L. Lewis. In my notes I have the name of Ephraim Lewis as her father I don't remember where I found it but I'm sure it had to be on the internet somewhere. Where do you fit in to the Barnett family genealogy? I have found some distant relatives in Florida and some in Texas. Wish I could help more with this but I'm stuck in the same place. Take Care, Brenda

Barnetts of Va.

Posted: 14 Oct 2000 4:52AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 5:16PM GMT
Thanks Brenda,
I GUESS WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT. THERE WERE 4 BARNETTS THAT CAME IN THE EARLY 1600S. JOHN BARNETT AND THOMAS BARNETT IN 1620 ON THE JONATHAN AN THE ELSABETH FROM LONDON. A WILLIAM CAME 1622 BUT WAS KILLED BY INDIANS ACCORDING TO THE 1624 MUSTER. THEN A STEPHEN BARNETT CAME ABT. 1627. CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING ON HIM EITHER, OTHER THAN THAT ENTRY.
MY LINE GOES FROM WILLIAM TO JOHN ---- JOROYAL TO JOHN BAYLISS FROM S.C. TO JOHN THOMAS MY GRANDFATHER FROM ALABAMA. THIS IS THE SHORT OF IT, BUT YOU KNOW THE REST.
ANYWAY, THERE IS A RESEARCH PAPER FLOATING AROUND THAT WILLIAM BARNETT WHO MARRIED ANNA ROLFE WAS A FRENCHMAN BY THE NAME OF BARNARD OR BERNARD, WHO CHANGED HIS LAST NAME TO BARNETT. THIS I DO NOT BELIEVE. THIS IS WHY I AM LOOKING FOR THE LINE BACK TO EITHER JOHN, THOMAS, WILLIAM OR STEVEN. SO FAR NOT EVEN THE GENEALOGY LIBRARY IN VA. HAS BEEN ABLE TO HELP. THAT IS TO SAY NO ONE HAS ANSWERED ANY QUESTIONS TO MY SATISFACTION YET. I HAVE BEEN TOLD ALL THE RECORDS WERE DESTROYED IN THE WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION. THIS TOO I DO NOT BELIEVE.
THOMAS BARNETT WAS LISTED AS A BURGESS TWICE. ONCE IN 1632 AND AGAIN IN 1642, IN DIFFERENT TOWNS AND JOHN IS SHOWN SHIPPING GOODS BACK TO ENGLAND. SO THERE ARE SOME RECORDS STILL AROUND.
M0ST RECORDS SHOW JOHN BARNETT WHOM MARRIED KATHERINE FARRAR AS BEING BORN ABT. 1643 AND MARRYING IN 1665. THEY HAD 2 SONS HENRY J. BARNETT AND JOHN BARNETT MY LINE.
IF BY CHANCE YOU OR ANYONE THAT CONTACTS YOU COME ACCROSS ANYTHING PERTAINING TO WILLIAM BARNETTS PARENTS OR WHO MARRIED JOHN OR THOMAS AND THEIR CHILDREN I WOULD APPRECIATE AN UPDATE.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME,

PROFESSOR WILLIAM H. BARNETT JR.
Posted: 14 Oct 2000 9:14PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2002 3:42AM GMT
What is your "H" for? My Grandfather's name was Willam H. Barnett and we never knew what the "H" was for. One person told me it was Haskell. Thanks for any help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic