Search for content in message boards

Thomas HOLDER, Randolph Co. VA (WV) 1810

Thomas HOLDER, Randolph Co. VA (WV) 1810

Maxine Hobbs (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: HOLDER, TETER, FRIEND, GANDY
[Note: Margaret Gandy, widow of John Gandy, was Thomas Holder's second wife. They married in 1808. Thomas' first wife was Mary ---?]

WILL OF THOMAS HOLDER, RANDOLPH COUNTY VA(W)
Written 10 July 1810 Will Book ? pp 143-144

In the name of God Amen. I, THOMAS HOLDER, of the County of Randolph, State of Virginia, being weak in body but of a sound mind and memory, blessed be God for the same, do make and publish this for my last Will and Testament in manner and form following (this is to say),

First, I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife MARGARET HOLDER all of my moveable property excepting what part thereof it may take to pay my just debts with my land and tenemants houses and orchard whereon I now live for her use to enable her to raise my son, Jacob Holder, during the time she shall remain my widow and no longer, and if she should marry again, then she is to have no more of my real or personal property than what the law allows, but should my Wife Margaret Holder marry again, then I will and desire that my son, JACOB HOLDER, after he is three years old, shall not live with a stepfather, but shall live with my son JAMES HOLDER during his minority, and for his trouble in keeping my said son Jacob and giving him a reasonable education, my said son James is to have the use of my plantation whereon I now live, excepting my wife Margaret Holder thirds until my son Jacob come to the Age, but it is here to be understood that my son, Jacob Holder is to live with his mother during her widowhood after my decease.

I also give and bequeath unto my son Jacob Holder the plantation I now live on with all the appurtenances thereunto belonging to him and his heirs forever, but should my son Jacob Holder depart this life before he comes to the age of twenty-one years and leave no lawful heir behind him, then and in such case I do will and bequeath the said plantation on which I now live with all its appurtenances thereunto belonging unto DAVID HOLDER, a son of JAMES HOLDER BY MARY FRIEND, to him the said David Holder, his heirs and assigns forever, but should the said David Holder depart this live and have no lawful issue of his body behind them, then I do will and bequeath that my said plantation on which I now live with the appurtenances thereunto belonging be sold by my executor hereafter mentioned and the money arising therefrom to be equally divided amongst all my grandchildren belonging to my son James Holder and my son Thomas Holder, and the children of my daughter ELIZABETH TETER, DECEASED, to belong to each of my said grandchildren, their heirs and assigns forever.

I will and bequeath unto my son JAMES HOLDER the sum of one Dollar to belong to him, his heirs or assigns forever.

I leave and bequeath unto my son THOMAS HOLDER the sum of one Dollar to belong to him, his heirs and assigns forever.

I leave and bequeath unto my Granddaughter MARY TETER the sum of one Dollar to belong to her, her heirs or assigns forever.

And I do hereby appoint my beloved wife as Executrix and my son James Holder as Executor of this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the 10th day of July, 1810

Signed:
Thomas Holder (his mark)

INVENTORY of goods and chattels of Thomas Holder, deceased, as sold at Public Vendue on 5 May 1814 by David Holder, administrator, included buyers: JAMES HOLDER, BENJAMIN MORRISON, URIAH INGRAM, AARON TRANSCOY(?), ROBERT McCALLY, THOMAS SKIDMORE, JOSIAH CAMPFIELD, DANIEL HOLDER, WILLIAM YEAGER, THOMAS W. HOLDER, GEORGE RENNIS(?), ABRAHAM INGRAM, MISS MARTENEY, ROBERT HOLDER, JOHN WILMOTH, JOHN CHENOWETH, JACOB PIERCY, ISAAC INGRAM, WILLIAM MARTENEY, SAMUEL BRIGHAM.

===================================================================

JOHN HOLDER - Wood County VA(W) Will Book 1A 10 April 1815
Administrator: JAMES HOLDER
Sales to JOSEPH LEAZURE, JOHN LEWIS, GEORGE ROCHOLD, HENRY GELASPY, JOHN GUIN, ZACCHIUS GUIN, ROBERT BARNES, MOSES CAMPBELL.
Appraisers: Samuel Jackson, Abraham Pribble, William Fouty
Payments to: Peter Hansamon, John Foughty, Henry Jackson, Joseph Leasure, Isaac Enock, Joseph Samuels.
Balance Due: $84.90 by sale bill and by amount of money received of H. Sleed(?) Capt. for balance of wages due.

MARY HOLDER - Inventory and Sale Bill, Randolph Co. VA(W) - 7 April 1823
Inventory and appraisement of the personal estate of Mary Holder, deceased, amounting to $83.70. Appraisers: William Marteney, John M. Hart, John S. Hart.
Presented in Randolph Co.Court February term 1825 and moved to be recorded.
Teste: A.Earle

THOMAS W. HOLDER - Randolph Co. VA (W), Appraisal and sale bill 28 Oct. 1828 List of the property or personal estate of Thomas W. Holder deceased as shown by David Holder, administrator of the said Thomas W. Holder, deceased, to R.N. Ball, Levi Cuberly(?), and William Marteney. Items include a note on Daniel Snider assigned from James Holder to David Holder. Appraisement bill presented in court and ordered recorded Dec. Term 1828. Buyers: DANIEL HOLDER, JAMES HOLDER, ELZY HOLDER, VALENTINE STALNAKER, WILLIAM SCOTT, SAMUEL HART, JOEL HEWITT, THOMAS PHILLIPS, THOMAS SCOTT, WILLIAM MARTENEY JR., DAVID HOLDER.

Re: Thomas HOLDER, Randolph Co. VA (WV) 1810

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 12:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holder
Does anyone know if this Thomas Holder ever served as sheriff? I have an undated receipt (ca. 1770s-1820s) that mentions "sheriff thomas holder." The other party mentioned in the receipt lived in Loudoun Co., VA, Monongalia Co., VA (now WV) and Randolph Co., VA.

Maxine (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2004 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: HOLDER, TETER, PURCELL
Philip, who is the other party on the receipt? Thomas Holder was appointed constable for Randolph Co. in 1787 at the formation of the county. The locations, i.e., Monongalia, then Harrison, then Randolph would follow the county's formation and Thomas Holder is listed in all three. His original land grant was filed in then Augusta Co. VA. Augusta was a huge area of Virginia and the northern part was called West Augusta District and included southwestern Pennsylvania. Many of the original settlers to SW Penna. thought they were in Virginia and considered themselves Virginians to their dying day.

What is the connection with Loudoun Co. VA? It might help to show where Thomas Holder was before arriving in WV. Thomas Holder's son, James, was born 1762 in Kent Co., Delaware and I'm missing their migration before Augusta Co.VA. There is some evidence they were in Pendleton Co.WV while it was still part of Augusta. A Thomas Holder was a witness to the will of George Teter in Pendleton, 1798. And Elizabeth Holder, d/o Thomas Holder Sr., married Jacob Teter, s/o George.

Have to find Thomas Holder's family! Son, James, moved to Wood Co. WV by 1830 to live with his son, Daniel. Son, Thomas, moved to Knox/Sullivan Co. IN by 1806. Little is known about son Thomas' children, though histories state he had 10. Where are they???? He married Nancy Purcell, d/o Edward, believed to be a second wife.

Any little clue may be a puzzle piece. Hope you can help!!
ANYBODY? I'm out on this precarious limb of the family tree with no one to rescue me! HELP!

Maxine

Posted: 19 Dec 2004 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: Holder Goff
Maxine,

It's my pleasure to help in any way I can. Here is a complete transcription of this note, which now resides with the Goff Collection at the WV Archives in Charleston, WV:

Side One:
"Mr. Jas Goff Dr To the
Sherif thomas holder
2=16=4 for Clarks notes"

Side Two:
"Jas H Jenkins
in the year of our
lord 1791"

Not much to go on here. When I made the original post, I only had access to side one and did not know about the 1791 date. James Goff lived in Loudoun County until about 1774, which doesn't seem relevant to Thomas Holder in regards to this document.

Good luck in your search. Thanks.

Phillip Goff

Maxine (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2004 6:46PM GMT
Thank you, Phillip. The names on the note don't mean anything to me, other than Thomas Holder, sheriff.

I know it seems I'm reaching for straws, but not without some miniscule foundation. Luke Holder, father of Capt. John Holder, was in Loudoun Co. about the same time as your Goff. As regards Thomas Holder of Randolph Co. WV, his son, James Holder, appointed Waldo Goff to collect his pension. And the name Salathiel Goff is familiar to me, but I don't know why. Was he in Greene/Washington Co. PA?

One never knows what small tidbit will connect and it's always worth a try. Thank you for your prompt response!

Maxine

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: HOLDER, HUMPHREY
I don't know if my James HOLDER is linked to the one you mention, but here goes:
my paternal great-great-grandfather James (__) Holder was born October 1811 in Virginia, but by 1860 he was married (to Margaret Humphrey(s) ), working as a blacksmith, and living in Scott County IL. He died March 15, 1881 in Johnson County MO. His children include Sarah, Matilda, John, Martha, Alice, James, Eliza, Martin, Lydia and my great-grandfather David William Holder.
I hope something here rings a bell, or helps in some way. Am flying a bit blind.

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 5:08PM GMT
Surnames: Holder, Humphreys,
Dear Maxine, I'm descended from Thomas' son James, who had a son James in 1812 after Thomas died. I know the connection now, thanks to you. Grandson James named one of his many sons David in honor of his brother who stayed in Virginia. Thanks for all your work Maxine, we'll never forget you. The Holder family (Illinois). PS: our Holder DNA group matches your John Holder's 24 out of 25 markers. So Hello Cousins!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic