Search for content in message boards

DNA search ability

DNA search ability

Posted: 14 May 2013 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know or heard anything about when we'll be able to search through our matches for surnames and places? I have over 3000 matches now, and it would take a very long time to make a list of how many times a surname or place appears.

Re: DNA search ability

Posted: 15 May 2013 6:38PM GMT
That would be awesome - and very, very simple. If you could download your matches to a spreadsheet as allowed by many other sites. Alas, it appears Ancestry is hell-bent on being the "AOL" of DNA for a while.

Posted: 15 May 2013 8:29PM GMT
Go to this thread and you'll that one of our more industrious members has developed a Google Chrome Extension that with a little prep work will allow you to search surnames and usernames. I believe a more advanced search is in his long term plans but he's doing this on the side so he'll get that part together when he gets that part together.

It's a good utility. Very handy. No idea why Ancestry can't produce something similar.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.dnaresearch.autosomal/181/...

Posted: 16 May 2013 4:53AM GMT
Searchable lists is one approach, but the actual Chromosome and segments match is the whole point of the DNA testing. Most Ancestry trees linked to the DNA results are not "deep enough" to search out 5-8 cousin links.

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:41AM GMT
"Searchable lists is one approach, but the actual Chromosome and segments match is the whole point of the DNA testing. Most Ancestry trees linked to the DNA results are not "deep enough" to search out 5-8 cousin links."

Both are necessary to make sense of the results. Knowing you match a group of people on a particular segment is useless if you can't use genealogical data to figure out the common surname.

Ancestry has the tree part covered with the massive user base and hopefully GEDmatch will be able to fill the void on the browser side that Ancestry has left.

Posted: 16 May 2013 11:46AM GMT
"Both are necessary to make sense of the results. Knowing you match a group of people on a particular segment is useless if you can't use genealogical data to figure out the common surname. "
I agree, BUT why should L have to go to another site to see the chromosome match which is helpful on those "shallow trees" of which most of my matches seem to be.

Posted: 16 May 2013 1:40PM GMT
I actually had this ability yesterday, but when I logged off it went away. I don't have the option anymore. Hopefully that means they are working on it.

Posted: 16 May 2013 1:56PM GMT
"I agree, BUT why should L have to go to another site to see the chromosome match which is helpful on those "shallow trees" of which most of my matches seem to be."

I'm not arguing with you. My original response was to the OP in reference to the original question which was about searching surnames etc.

In answer to your question, "L" should NOT have to go to another site to see anything but Ancestry has, so far, dropped the ball with regard to their DNA offerings. Instead of being the premier resource for comparing DNA results and the contents of the respective trees we're being forced to use external sites. ACOM did finally give us access to our raw data so at least we have this option. Prior to the release of the data we couldn't do anything except compare trees and make assumptions.

I consider us fortunate to have members like Jeff who is developing the Chrome extension and to have access to the GEDmatch site so at least we have some sort of work around.

Posted: 16 May 2013 2:18PM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2013 2:19PM GMT
Deborah,

Can you elaborate on "I actually had this ability yesterday, but when I logged off it went away". Did you install Jeff's utility, or are you saying this was directly from ancestry? Was it a search button somewhere on the DNA results page?

David Mc

Posted: 16 May 2013 2:29PM GMT
I was on the DNA ancestry page for my "not viewed" matches. Below the pull down for filtering between, "all"..."has a hint"..."not viewed"..."starred" was a box to enter a surname and then another box next to it where you can enter a location. Then you click on "filter" and it pulled up all of my DNA matches with the surname I had entered. For example, I entered in the surname "Dunn" and all of my matches that also had "Dunn" in there trees appeared.

I logged of my computer for the night and when I logged back on this morning those options were no longer on my ancestry DNA page.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions