Search for content in message boards

South Tipperary Roots Records

South Tipperary Roots Records

Posted: 5 May 2011 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cleary, Heffernan
Hi Cecile (and others)

The link to the South Tipperary Records on the RootsIreland website was a huge break through for me. However when looking at some of the records, say the marriage records in the space where it lists Father and Mother and address etc my records are blank for that spot. Is it possible that they just were not included in the online form but may still be listed in original? I am trying to go one more generation back.

The record in question is a marriage on 06-Feb-1825 in the Cahir Parish (Roman Catholic) between Philip Cleary and Maria (Mary) Heffernan. Any tips on how to move forward/what records to look for that might list their parents would be great! The only other names on the record are those of there sponsors (William MacKen and Joanna Cleary) and that of the Priest (John Power) Thank you!

Re: South Tipperary Roots Records

Posted: 12 May 2011 1:09AM GMT
Other than the Foundation website you mention, the National Library has RC records these were microfilmed by the LDS.
www.familysearch.org - older records -look for the link to the previous website it is on the right. The National Library collection is not complete nor is the LDS but the County website should of picked up from the parish records any records that were available as they collect from many sources.

There are several references to Philip Cleary's and Mary Heffernan's but doesn't look like there are records for yours.

eg: Philip Cleary 1785 Diocese Cashel & Emly married 1811 Jane Tompson

RC-The Parish of Carrick-on-Sir 1784-1880 marriages 1788

RC-The Parish of Cahir 1776-1793 and 1809-1864 m: from 1776

C of I St. Nicholas Main St. 1845-1864

this maybe why some records seem to be missing?

There are 19 Cleary's in the online white pages for Tipperary and 74 Heffernan's - click on residential and look for places in the area you are looking for. Then you can write some letters. Especially look for Philip as it is obviously a name passed down through the family.

Ancestry recently put the Tithe records for the 1820's online, just names and place (no land descriptions as for Griffith Valuation)This will give you the previous generation names. The are the odd records for the Tithe's but the complete collection is at the National Archives but only searchable in person.

there maybe some gravestone inscription transcribed by a Heritage Society or try a google of Cahir.

The Tipperary Library has some 'local studies' that include some gravestone inscriptions www.tipperarylibraries.ie/local_studies/index

Can't think of anything else?

Annette Code

Posted: 12 May 2011 1:42AM GMT
Uskane GY, Tipperary has Cleary inscriptions published by the Irish Geneologist 1857, Vol3, No. 2 pp 7475

There is another pay website that has gravestone inscriptions for Caher(Old church) Kilcommon (CofI)
you would need to contact me for the name
codeannette@yahoo.ca

I notice the Foundation website has 1713 burial or death records for the surname Cleary but they don't start till the year 1864. However, I'm sure you could find the same
as the 'new' website for www.familysearch.org for civil records after 1864.

these are some:

Catherine born 1795 died 1864 Tipperary age 69

Patt born 1768 died 1864 Tipperary age 96

Anne born 1796 died 1866 Tipperary age 70

Michael born 1787 died 1866 Tipperary age 79

Philip born 1825 died 1878 Carrick-n-Suir age 53

Annette

Posted: 13 May 2011 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Shea---Costello
Great info from Annette Code. Wonder if she can help me with info about marriage of John Shea and Johanna Costello who had a child, Patrick born 1846 in Parish of Ballyneale/Grangemockler near Carrick-on-Suir. They also had two other children, Anastasia and Margaret. Apparently there are no marriage records for this Parish prior to 1839.

Posted: 14 May 2011 1:32AM GMT
Did you find John Shea in Parish Grangemockler?

John Shea, Parish Grangemockler, Townland Ballytohil

3a outbuildings and land 4 acre 0 roods and 31 perches

#5 James Shea, both tenants of Sir T. Esmonde
house and land 3.2.23

Costello's John, Thomas of Grangemockler but Townland of Glennaskagh

You are correct Ballyneale/Grangemockler records do not start till 1839-1880,

13 Patrick Shea born between 1841-1851 with a father John
1847 or 1848

Anastatia with father John 1789, 1834 x 2, 1841, 1846

Margaret with father John 30, 4 between 1845 & 1855

Annette

Posted: 14 May 2011 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Shea--Costello
Thanks, Annette for such prompt and informative help. Wish I had met you earlier. I think you might have saved me quite a bit of tilme and effort. Thanks, again.

Posted: 19 May 2011 6:41PM GMT
Greetings. Doing work on the Lyons family in the Kilsheelan, Farranjorden and Ballooby areas. The Roots Ireland is a very helpful data base. What I have found also is blanks or single and double line entries for names. This is an indication that the transcriber(s) could not read the base record aka the micro fiche of the church record. I went to National Library a couple of months ago and did find the hand records BUT the archivist noted "the local priests latinized names, and wrote what they thought should be the name" in short they took a lot of liberty on names. This latin name was really a problem for the folks who created the indexes aka the roots ireland base in particular. If you have a out of the main stream name like in my ggf case of Beere even the base records had 4 different spellings and the index had blanks, errors etc.
Just my frustration learning and hunting on all the records. Also for South Tipperary Riding if RC a lot of the church records at Waterford Heritage which is not one line or in the National Library. Waterford you have to contact, authorize and pre pay for a search but but it did produce a few results.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT
I am descended from Cahir Clearys
Would like to make contact.
martinphelan@hotmail.com

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 3:52PM GMT
sent you an e mail on experiences with records. hope the comments are useful...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic