Search for content in message boards

WRIGHT marriage ca. 1827

WRIGHT, WILBURN

Posted: 23 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2002 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT, WILLBURN, DOUDGE, MCCRACKEN
Hello Audrey Westerman,

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your William H. Wright was the son of my 3rd great grandfather, Anthony Wright!

All I know of Anthony Wright and Isabella Wilburn were that they were married 15 Nov 1802, Stokes County, NC.
Record #: 03 350, Bondsman: Joseph Hains, Witness: A Robinson, Bond #: 000142690.

My 2nd great grandfather was The Reverend Isaac Dalton Wright, born 1818 Stokes County, died 1900 in Peru, Haywood County, NC. When he married Love Doudge in Surry County in 1839 his bondsman was Wilborn (Wilburn?) Wright. I feel certain that his bondsman, Wilburn Wright born 1815 and your William H. Wright were his older brothers.

The following Biographical Sketch was written by I. D. Wright:

"Son of Anthony Wright who was born in Maryland in the year 1776 supposed but was principally raised in NC on the waters of Abbots Creek. Married and settled in the South east corner of Stokes now Forsyth County where he had six children, always respectable though in limited circumstances, consequently his children had to depend on their own means for a little education. He professed religion and joined the Baptist Church though not till about his fiftieth year in the county of Surry whither he moved the latter part of the year 1826. I.D. Wright was the fifth child born the 4th of January 1818, but little chance to get information having no opportunity of going to school after about nine years of age. Made a profession of religion in May 1838 and on the 4th Sunday in the same month was baptized by Wm. Garner into the fellowship of Zion Baptist church in Iredell County, N.C. though living in Surry now Yadkin County. Was married 22nd of January 1839 to an orphan girl by the name of Love Doudge. Commenced in the world penniless. Lived in the North part of Yadkin County until Oct. 16th 1853. Arrived in Yancey County the 27th of the same month, remained in Burnsville until January 1854, removed to Buncombe county remained there till the latter part of the year 1855. Moved to Haywood county then returned to Buncombe in the spring of 1859. Moved to Haywood Feb. 1, 1865."

The following children were born to I. D. Wright Love Doudge:

Mary I. WRIGHT born Surry County 2 Feb 1840 - died 13 Jun 1840.
John C. WRIGHT born Surry County 23 Mar 1841.
Anthony W. WRIGHT born Surry County 4 Aug 1842 - Enlisted in the Confederate Army and died 22 Aug 1861at Yorktown, VA.
William R. WRIGHT born Surry County 8 Jun 1844 - died 14 Aug 1860 in a dyptheria epidemic.
Martha A. WRIGHT born Surry County 9 Feb 1846.
Elizabeth F. WRIGHT born Surry County 3 Dec 1847 - died 30 Aug 1860 in a dyptheria epidemic.
Nancy E. WRIGHT born Surry County 10 Nov 1849 - died 23 Aug 1860 in a dyptheria epidemic.
Nathan R. WRIGHT born Surry County 6 Feb 1852.
O. M. Ellen WRIGHT born Buncombe County 30 Jun 1854 - died 23 Aug 1860 in a dyptheria epidemic.
Angelina Rose Jane WRIGHT born Haywood County 16 Jul 1856 - died 16 Dec 1905.
Thomas Evander McIver WRIGHT born Haywood County 27 Sept 1858.

Love Doudge WRIGHT died in 1864 while I.D. WRIGHT was serving the Confederacy as Chaplain. He returned in the Spring of 1865 to find her dead, and with 4 motherless children to raise, he married the lovely Miss Harriet McCracken of Haywood County and had 2 more children with her, Sidney Elford and Eleanor Isabella.

Does any of this ring a bell with you? What is your relationship to William H. Wright?

Ruth Campbell in CA

WRIGHT marriage ca. 1827

Posted: 23 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2001 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT, WILBURN
William H. WRIGHT (b. ca. 1805) married Elizabeth (?surname) ca. 1827, probably in Stokes Co. NC. He was son of Anthony WRIGHT and Isabella WILBURN. In 1830 Wm. and Elizabeth were on the 1830 Surry Co. NC census living next door to Anthony, his father. This section of Stokes became part of Forsyth Co. Can anyone help?

Re: WRIGHT, WILBURN

Phyllis F. St. Clair (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2001 2:49PM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2001 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Smith
I am trying to find out ANYTHING about my maternal grandfather. His name was John Matthew Wright and he was born August 16, 1891. He married my grandmother, Rose Anne Smith on December 13, 1911, and they had one daughter, my mother, Willie Lee Wright. He died July 6, 1916 when my mother was 7 months old and I don't know anything else, even his parents' names or where they lived. My mother was born in Surry Co. Any possibility you can help? I think he went by the name of Matt. Thank you, Phyllis St. Clair, Charlotte, NC

Re: WRIGHT marriage ca. 1827

Posted: 22 May 2006 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Am looking for more information on Anthony Wright and Isabella Wilburn. He is my GGG Grandfather as well. If anyone has anymore info on him, I would appreciate it. I cannot find a date of birth or father/mother names or anything, not even an Obit. Please help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions