Search for content in message boards

Emily Coffee & Samuel Patrick - KY

Emily Coffee & Samuel Patrick - KY

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 1:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffee, Patrick
Need some help from fellow Coffee or Patrick researchers - I have Emily Coffee born abt 1815, daughter of William Coffee and Elizabeth Lacy, as marrying Samuel Patrick born 1810. This info is consistent across the web, though I haven't found a source record that directly links Emily Coffee to William and Elizabeth. Anyway, on the 1900 Magoffin KY census it has Emily living with her son William - and it lists both her parents (no names, of course! grrrr) as being born in Ohio. As far as I know neither William or Elizabeth were born in Ohio. So you see the problem - is the information on who her parents were wrong, or is the census record wrong? Any help is most appreciated!!

Re: Emily Coffee & Samuel Patrick - KY

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:07AM GMT
I wouldn't let it bother me. Back then it was often a matter of conjecture as to which side of the river anyone came from and records were often based on hearsay. The clue to genealogical research is to be receptive to anything and skeptical of everything. Validation usually comes from unexpected sources. Just keep digging!

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Coffee, Patrick
I would feel better if I could find a source record saying who Emily Coffee's parents are - wish me luck, maybe one will turn up somewhere! ::fingers crossed::

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 6:15AM GMT
The best explanation I've heard lately in my search for William Jefferson Patrick of KY and his wife Jemima, whose son John Walker Patrick married into the Coffee/Windle family of TN. Little lucky bits of documented information is all we'll ever get in some cases. Nobody back then seemed to worry this far down their ancestral thread.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic