Search for content in message boards

Reddy family of Achill Island, Co. Mayo, Ireland

Reddy family of Achill Island, Co. Mayo, Ireland

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rowland, Hampton, Knox, Allen, Adkins, Foley, Reddy, Merriam, Dorman
I am looking for any information regarding my gggg-grandmother Anna Reddy, b. 1826 in Achill Island, Co. Mayo, Ireland. d. Mar. 1904 in Belfast, NY, USA. I know that she married John Knox who is also from Ireland, but not sure if this took place before migration to the states. They had 4 children Ellen, Ann, John and James. I think her father was Patrick Reddy and her mother was Ellen. I do not know this for certain, just information received from another individual. Any information you may have will greatly assist in my searches as I am at a stand still. Oh, and I have information from Anna & John down the line, just nothing further back. Thanks to anyone who can help. Amanda

Re: Reddy family of Achill Island, Co. Mayo, Ireland

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 1:08PM GMT
Unfortunately, the filmed Achill parish records date back only to 1868. You could try writing the parish priest, but it would be a long shot. The Griffith's index shows plenty of Ruddys on Achill Island, Knoxes in Mayo but not on the island. Perhaps they met and married elsewhere in Mayo.

Diane

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 4:20PM GMT
You stated Ruddy's in your last email. Is this a spelling variation? I do recall my grandmother stating that she thought the Knoxes were from County Cork, but she may have been wrong, because his naturalization paper states County Court, New York, so this may have confused her. It seems much more possible that they were from Mayo since that is the same county that Achill Island is in. Could you please acknowledge any spelling variations for Reddy. Thank you for your information.

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 4:35PM GMT
The Griffith's index shows only Ruddys in Mayo, and MacLysaght's says both Ruddy and Reddy are variants of Roddy. All, of course, are derived the original Gaelic. Those doing the valuations generally stuck with the variants they were familiar with, and the lessors themselves, especially in rural areas, were generally illiterate.

Diane

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 6:19PM GMT
Thank you again for the information! The information you have provided is good to know. I know alot of the time, back in the day, people would spell things the way they were heard or how the person said it and would sound it out to spell it. So, this is nothing new as far as the search goes :) I do appreciate everything. Oh, one more question, the Griffith's and MacLysaght's, is this something I can access? Do you have a web address for either of them? I am new to moving forward in my search of my Irish ancestors. I have made it as far back as the ones who came from Ireland and I think this is why I am stuck. Lack of resources. Any sites you may have may help me in my search. Thanks again, Amanda

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 7:06PM GMT
Yes, I have Lohan ancestors and their name was also spelled Loghan, Loughan, and Logan, depending on the person who was writing. You can get the Griffith's index by going to failteromhat.com and search by name, parish, or both. MacLysaght's Surnames of Ireland is available in paperback and well worth it. Another good publication is Mitchell's New Genealogical Atlas of Ireland, as it shows all the civil and religious parishes, as well as the registration districts. Grenham's Tracing Your Irish Ancestors is great. Finally, the Irish Family History Foundation site is very helpful (irish-roots.ie).

Diane

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 7:38PM GMT
Thank you!!! I do have a couple of books on Irish history, but it is more history than surnames, etc. I will try to find those that you listed. Again, thank you SO MUCH for everything. I have rather enjoyed chatting with you.

Amanda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions