Search for content in message boards

2 Polish Towns

2 Polish Towns

Posted: 25 May 2004 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone here heard of or know anything about the Polish towns called Szumieliski & Kuczyn? These towns were given to me by the Bernardine Sisters as being the birthplaces of one set of my greatgrandparents. I've tried various spellings and search engines, but nothing has come up.

Thanks for reading my query.

Kim :)

Re: 2 Polish Towns

Posted: 25 May 2004 9:51PM GMT
You know what...I just tried the shtetlseeker, and came up with some leads. Why do I always forget about that resource? Thanks Tina! Your last post mentioned it, and voila!

Re: Szumieliski

Posted: 26 May 2004 2:12AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2009 5:11PM GMT
SHUMELISHKI 5428 2603 N Belarus 72.7 miles WNW of Minsk
Posted: 26 May 2004 2:19AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2009 5:12PM GMT
Sorry ... that message got out before I was able to look up the second place.

I think you need to ask the sisters, what country. The first one is in Belarus.

You have some possibles in Belarus and Poland for Kuczyn:

KUCZYN 5323 2248 N Poland 108.5 miles NE of Warsaw
KUCZYN 5243 2232 N Poland 72.1 miles ENE of Warsaw

KUCHIN 5340 2958 N Belarus 99.2 miles E of Minsk
KUCHIN 5312 3041 N Belarus 136.7 miles ESE of Minsk

Do you know what language your ancestors spoke? Have you found them in any census records? That will give you good information about language and in what country they were born.

Tina Ellis

Re: 2 Polish Towns

Posted: 26 May 2004 2:34AM GMT
Here is what I am working with:

-- this is what was found in the Bernardine Sisters' Archives:

Boleslaw Zalewski was born in Szumieliski, Poland
Stella Olszewska was born in Kuczyn, Poland

--this is what was found in the Ellis Island Records:

Bronislaw Zalewski
ethn: Polish
Pl. of Res.: Lamoski, Russia

Stanislawa Olszewska
ethn: Russia, Polish
Pl. of Res.: Lubowicz, Russia

Everyone in this family spoke Polish.

Can you make anything of this information?

I've been "at it" all evening.

Thanks Tina.
Kim

ZAMOSTYANY, Belarus near Shumelishki

Tina Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2004 2:42AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2004 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: zalewski
There is a place not too far from Shumelishki named Zamostyany. The may be it. It's the closest place, which sounds like Lamoski. Did you notice his father's name is listed as Ignatz Zalewski? I'm using the Shtetlseeker to find these places. Find Shumelishki, and click on th enlarger to the right of the map ... up one click, and you will see it. http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

LUBOWICZ near KUCZYN

Tina Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2004 3:04AM GMT
Okay ... This one is a sure thing.

The
KUCZYN 5243 2232 N Poland 72.1 miles ENE of Warsaw
place is the one you want. Within a mile or so, there are three places named Lubowicz Byzie, Lubowicz-Katy and Lubowicz Wielki. This is in Poland.

The parish for Lubowicz is Kuczyn. There are birth (1890-1899) and death (1891-1899) records for Roman Catholics at the archives in Lomza. Go to this site: http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.eng.php. Type in Kuczyn and click on you enter key. Next click on More, and that will give you contact information for the Lomza archives. I don't know why, but the LDS don't seem to have them on microfilm. I do not understand why the archives does not have more years. It's possible that this is a misprint.

Tina Ellis

Re: ZAMOSTYANY, Belarus near Shumelishki

Posted: 29 May 2004 1:57AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2004 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: zalewski
Re: "Did you notice his father's name is listed as Ignatz Zalewski?"

Tina...where do you see this? I'm not sure of what you are looking at.

Tina Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2004 3:25AM GMT
On page two of the manifest, it shows where he is going. Page one shows who his closest relative was in the counttyr he left.

Have you used the online Ellis Island site? If you did, page 2 will appear first. Click on "Previous" to the right side of the small manifest. Next click "Enlarge," and that will make it so you can see it in normal print.

When he was born, this part of Belarus was part of Poland. After WWII, it became Belarus.

Tina

Posted: 30 May 2004 11:58AM GMT
Have you used the online Ellis Island site? If you did, page 2 will appear first. Click on "Previous" to the right side of the small manifest. Next click "Enlarge," and that will make it so you can see it in normal print.

When he was born, this part of Belarus was part of Poland. After WWII, it became Belarus.

Thank you, Tina! For years now, I have been using the EI website, and have seen their message about manifests often being 2 pages, etc. Until you just pointed this out to me, I had no idea there was more available than what I was already finding. How dumb is that?

Without your mentioning "Ignatz," I would have totally missed him. Thank you *very* much.

So, Szumieliski and Lamoski are actually located in present-day Belarus?

Kim :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic