John MANLEY b County Mayo d 1918 Dunmore PA

John MANLEY b County Mayo d 1918 Dunmore PA

Walton J. Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2006 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: MANLEY, SULLIVAN
John MANLEY b Co Mayo d Apr 12, 1918, Dunmore, PA
Scranton Times 13 Apr 1918
John MANLEY , father of Rev Michael F. MANLEYdied yesterday at his home Spring St Dunmore. He was born in County Mayo Ireland and lived in Dunmore about 60 years. He came here when he was 19 and first settled in Carbondale before moving to Dunmore. 3 years ago Mr & Mrs MANLEY celebrated their Golden wedding anniversary at St Mary's Church the first Catholic church in Dunmore. Surviving are 4 sons, Rev Michael F. MANLEY, Forest City; William, Thomas and John MANLEY all in Dunmore; 1 daughter Mrs Mary SULLIVAN; Services St. Mary with interment in the St. Mary's Cemetery. (The obituary detailed some of John's accomplishments)

Re: John MANLEY b County Mayo d 1918 Dunmore PA

John T. Daly (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2006 1:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DALY, JUDGE, LAWLOR, McCARTHY, CASEY, MANLY
Do you know where John MANLEY was born in Co. Mayo? My Gr Grandmother, Ellen MANLY (the spelling is different but not uncommon in those days), was born in near Crossmolina, Co. Mayo 17 January 1839. That should be near to the birth date of John MANLEY.
Ellen was married to James CASEY of Co. Tipperary and had her first child, Richard CASEY, on 19 October 1857 in Columbia, SC.
Since the birth dates were in the same era I thought there might be a connection.

Walt (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2006 10:35AM GMT
Sorry at this time am not aware of where in Co Mayo he was born

Happy Hunting

Walt

Posted: 13 Apr 2006 7:30PM GMT
Walt
When I was looking for the citizenship papers for my Scranton John Manley, I came accross one for a John Manley, who petitioned in Carbondale PA on September 8, 1858. I've attached a jpeg image (unfortunately this board won't let you post a pdf file which would have been a smaller file). Given that your Dunmore John Manley's obit said he came through Carbondale, this might be him. Someone named Martin Lavelle sponsored him. You might want to check the 1860 Carbondale census to see if your John lived there then and if he had a neighbor named Lavelle. These guys often had neighbors sponsor them.
San Diego Peter Manley
Attachments:

Walt (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 10:03AM GMT
Surnames: MANLEY
Peter,

The info u sent certainly looks promising. I will try to follow up on the census and see if we can pin this MANLEY down.

Thanks again for thinking of me and the MANLEY search.

take care

Walt

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 10:00AM GMT
I have been trying to send a message to a John daly about a possible Daly-Judge connection.If you are the same John Daly please see the Kings County Brooklyn message board.
Thanks,
Mike Powers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions