Search for content in message boards

Early Maryland Records (1714 & 1735)

Early Maryland Records (1714 & 1735)

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 11:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sanders
This Indenture made the Nineteenth
day of March in the first year of the reigne of our sovereigne Lord George by the grace of God of Great Brittaine France and Ireland King defender of the faith & Annoq Dom one thousand seven hundred and fourteen Between James Sanders of Ann arundell County in the province of Maryland Gentl of the one part and Sam.l Young of the
same County and province Esq.r of the other part Wittnesseth that w.ras the right hon.ble Cecelius Late lord and propry of the said province of Maryland by his patent under his great seale of the said province
bearing date the Twentyeth day of Feb.ry Anno Dom sixteen hundred and fifty nine for the consideration therein menconed did grant unto his Brother Phiilip Calvert Esq.r deceased a certain tract of land lying on the west side of Chesepeak bay on the south branch of a river in the said bay called the North East river now called Back river and on the north east side of the said branch Beginning
at a marked pine tree standing in a bay by a marshey site runing east south east down the river for breadth three hundred and fifty p.s to a marked Mulberry tree standing on a low point of march bounding on the east by a line drawn north and by east from the said Mulberry for
Length three hundred and fifty p.s on the north by a line drawn west north west from the end of the said north and by east line for breadth three hundred and fifty perches on the west by a line drawn south and by west from the end of the west north west line unto the first Marked Pine on the south by the said river containing seven hundred
acres of land to hold to him the said Phillip his heirs and assignes for ever in and by which said patent the said lord propry errected the said land and premises into a Manner by the Name of Wisk as p pattent thereof remaining on record in the land office in this province relacon being thereto had it doth and may more fully and at large appear Afterwards to witt the second day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred and sixty four the said Phillip Calvert and Anne his wife by their fine
and concord for the consid.n therein menconed did convey and acknowledge the afd Mannor of Land and appurtenances to be the right of one Mathias Decosta deced late of Baltemore County to hold to him & his heirs for ever as in and by the said concord remaining on record in the prov.l Court relation being thereunto had it doth and may more fully and at Large appear And After the death of the s.d

(Matthias)
Mathias Decosta the afd Mannor of land and premises decended unto Eliz.a his Daughter late the wife of Thomas Williams of S.t Marys County Taylor who is since deceast which said Thomas Williams and the said Eliz.a his said late wife by their deed indented under their hands and seales bearing date the sixteenth day of July one thousand seven hundred and three for the Consideration therein Menconed Did give grant and convey unto W.m Taylard late of Ann ard.ll County Gentl.n deceased the afd Manner of
Land and Prmises unto him his heirs and assignes for ever as by the same deed remaining on record in the prov.l Court relation being thereto had it doth and may more at large appear? Which Said W.m Taylard and Audry his wife by their deed indented under their hands and seales bearing
date the one and twentyeth day of June one thousand seven hundred and six for the Consid.n therein menconed Did give grant and convey unto James Sanders late of Annarundell County Esq.r deceast the afd Mannor of land and premises Togeather with all surplus land [illegible] had and about twenty acres of land more supposed to be taken up by one
Maj.r Thomas Long late of Baltemore County within the Limmitts and bounds of the afd Manner to him the said James Sanders his heirs and assignes for ever as by the same deed remaining on record in the prov.l Court
relation being thereto had it doth and may more at large appear And afterwards since the decease of the said James Sanders Esq.r the afd Manner of land and premises Descended to the above named James Sanders son and heir of the s.d James Sanders Esq.r deceast Now this Indenture further wittnesseth that the s.d James Sanders party to these presents for and in Consid.n of the sume of Ninety pounds of lawfull money of Great Brittaine to him in hand paid by the said Sam.l Young at and before the ensealing and delivery of these presents the receipt whereof he doth hereby acknowledge and himself to be therew.th fully satisfyed & paid and thereof and of every part & parcell thereof doth Acquit Exonerate and discharge the said Sam.l Young his heirs ex.rs & ad.rs for ever by these p.rsents
hath given granted aliened bargained sold enfeoffed and Confirmed and by these presents doth clearly and absolutely give grant alien bargain sell enfeoffe and confirme unto the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes for ever all that the afd Manner of land called Wiske
als Danbigh scituate lying and being in Back river in Baltemore County afd according to meets and bounds above menconed Cont.a seven hundred acres of land or be the same More Togeather w.th all y.e afd surplus land and about twenty acres of land more supposed to be taken up by the afd Maj.r Thomas Long within the Limitts and bounds of the said Mannour Togeather also w.th all houses outhouses
out houses tobacco houses buildings Barnes Orchards Gardens fields pastures woods underwoods and all rents issues and profitts benefitts
(and)
and previledges emoluments and hereditaments to the said Mannour of land belonging or in any wise appertaining togeather also with all deeds evidences and writeings Touching or Concerning the premises or any part thereof To have and to hold the afd Mann.r of Wiske als Danbigh togeather with all and singular the lands tenements and p.rmises with their appurtenances to the same belonging or in any wise appertaining and every part and parcell thereof unto the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes for ever to the only proper use and behoofe of him the said
Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes for ever more and to no other use intent or purpose whatsoever And the said James Sanders for himself his heirs ex.rs and adm.rs doth covenant and agree to and w.th the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes that he the said James Sanders for
and Notwithstanding any Act to the Contrary at the time of the ensealing and delivery of these presents is and stands lawfully and rightfully Seized in his Demeasne as of fee simple in his Own Right without any Condition Limitation or other use or trust to alter change or determine the same estate of and in the said Mann.r of lands tenem.ts
and p.rmises before menconed to be hereby granted bargained and sold and of in and in every part & parcell thereof and that the said James Sanders for and Notwithstanding any act done by him to the contrary
now has and at the time of executeing these presents hath full power just right and lawfull authority to grant bargain and sell the same Land and p.rmises and every part and parcell thereof with the appurtenances unto the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes in Manner and form as
before in these presents is expressed and that the same Manner land & premises and every part and parcell thereof with the appurtenances shall from henceforth for ever remain and continue unto the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes for ever freely and clearly acquitted exonerated and discharged of and from all and all Manner of former bargains Sales Gifts grants dowers Joyntures Leases Rents arrears of rent and of & from all other charges titles troubles and incumbrances whatsoever had
made committed suffered or done by the said James Sanders or any other person or persons whatsoever pretending any right or title thereunto (the rents and services from henceforth to grow due to the Lord of the fee of the premises only excepted and foreprized) And further that the
said James Sanders doth for himself his heirs ex.rs and adm.rs covenant promise and grant to and with the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes by these presents that he the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes
assignes and every of them shall and may for ever hereafter peaceably and quietly have hold use occupy possess and enjoy the afd Mannor land and premises with their and every of their appurtenances without any let suit trouble disturbance deniall Molestation
Interuption or Eviction of him y.e said James Sanders his heirs ex.rs and adm.rs or of any other person or persons whatsoever And y.e said James Sanders for himselfe his heirs ex.rs & adm.rs doth covenant promise and grant to and w.th the said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes y.t
he y.e said James Sanders his ^heirs^ ex.rs & adm.rs and assignes and every of them all and singular y.e aforesaid Mannor of Land and Premisses unto y.e said Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes to his and their proper use and Behoofe as afores.d ag.t all manner of person w.tsoever shall and will warr.t and forever defend by these presents And further that the said James Sanders his heirs ex.rs and adm.rs and every of them shall and will from time to time and at all times hereafter upon y.e reasonable req.t and at y.e costs and charges in the law of the said Sam.l Young his heirs or assignes make do and execute all and every such further and other act and acts thing or things device or devices in y.e law whatsoever for the further and more better assureing and conveying of the afd land and premises and every part and parcell thereof to y.e said Sam.l Young his heirs or assignes for ever as by y.e
said Sam.l Young his heirs or assignes or his or their Councill Learned in the law shall be reasonably devised advised or required all w.ch further or other assureances hereafter to be had made or executed shall be & enure and are hereby and shall be adjudged deemed and taken to be & enure to y.e only proper use and behoof of the s.d Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes for ever and to none other use intent or purpose whatsoever?? In Wittness whereof the parties first above named have to these present indentures interchangably set their hands & seales the day & year first above written James Sanders (sea)

On the back of y.e aforegoing deed was thus enderst Viz.t

Sealed and delivered in presence of
Tho Larkin Jo Beale Vachel Denton

Mem.d that on the 19.th day of March Anno Dom seventeen hundred & fourteen came the within named James Sanders before us Thomas Larkin and Benj.a Tasker Gent two of his Maj.tys Justices of Ann.l County and acknowledged the within written indenture to be his act and deed and the land and p.rmises therein Menconed to be right of the within Named Sam.l Young his heirs and assignes for ever according to y.e true Intent & Meaning of the s.d deed and the Act of Assembly in that case made and provided

And at the same day and time Jane y.e wife of
the said James Sanders being by us secretly examined out of the
(hearing)
hearing of her said husband did freely clearly and voluntarily Confess that she did give up all and singular her right and title of dower claim and demand whatsoever of and in y.e w.thin menconed land and premises without any compulsion fear threats or displeasure of her said
husband and acknowledged y.e same according to y.e directions of y.e act of assembly in that case made & provided Taken and acknowledged by y.e above named James Sanders and Jane his wife as afd before us y.e day & year above written
Tho Larkin
Benj.a Tasker

March y.e 19.th 1714
Then reced from Sam.l Young Esq.r the sume of
Ninety pounds sterl in full for the purchase money
of y.e within Land I say reced y.e day & year afd by me
Test James Sanders
Th.o Larkin Joh Beale
Robert Sanders Th Bordley Geo Valentine

I do hereby certifie that the above named Thomas Larkin
and Benj.a Tasker Gent before whome y.e above acknowledgm.t
was taken are two of his Maj.tys Justices of Ann.l County Court

In Testimony whereof the seale of the said County
Court is hereunto affixed this 28.th day of March in y.e
first year of his Maj.tys reigne &c Annoq Dom 1715 p
Joh Beale Cl AA Co.ty
AA Co.ty Co.rt
Co.rt
Seale
21 sides recorded Aprill y.e 28.th 1715

To all People To whom these Presents shall Come Greeting Know Ye that I Robert Sanders of Ann Arundell County in the Province aforesaid Gent for & in Consideration as well of the Natural Love & Affection which I have & do bear unto my well beloved Son Rob.t Sanders Jun.r of the County & Province af.d as for Divers other Good Causes
& Considerations me at this time especially moveing Have Given and Granted & by these Presents Doth fully freely clearly & absolutely give grant & confirm unto him the said Robert Sanders Jun.r his heirs and assigns for ever all that Moiety or halfe Part of a Certain Tract or Parcell
of Land Containing four hundred Acres Called James's Forrest lying and being in Baltimore County upon the head of a River Called Gunpowder River & upon the South Side of a Branch the North Branch of the s.d River according
to the Meets & Bounds Expressed in a Certain Deed of Bargain & Sale duly executed & enrolled among the Records of Baltimore County af.d bearing date y.e Twenty Ninth Day of April Sixteen hundred & eighty five by & between
Thomas Lytfoot of the one Part & James Sanders of the Other Part Relation to the s.d Deed being thereunto had will more at Large Appear & also all my right Title Interest Claim & Demand whatsoever either in Law or in
Equity which I now have or hereafter may have in or to the remaining Moiety or half Part of the af.d Tract of Land containing five hundred Acres as af.d Together with all
Rights Profitts Benefits & Priviledges thereunto belonging (Royal Mines Excepted) To have & to hold the same unto him the said Robert Sanders Jun.r his heirs & assigns for ever without any Money or other thing theretofore & I the said
Robert Sanders the Elder do for me my heirs Ex.rs & Adm.rs Covenant promise & Grant to & with him the said Robert Sanders Jun.r his heirs & assigns y.t the s.d Tract or Parcell of Land is free & clear of & from any former or other Gift Grant Mortgage Sale or any Other Incumbrance of what Nature or Kind Soever had made done or Committed by me the s.d Robert Sanders the Elder or by my Means Privitty or Procurement And further that I the said
Robert Sanders the Elder do by these Presents for me my heirs Ex.rs Adm.rs & Assigns Covenant Promis Grant & agree to & with the s.d Robert Sanders Jun.r his heirs Ex.rs Adm.rs & Assignes that I the s.d Robert Sanders the Elder the af.d Moiety or half Part of the af.d Tract of Land
(Containing)
Containing five hundred Acres as af.d & so as af.d by me Absolutely Given & Granted unto him the Said Robert Sanders Jun.r his heirs & assigns for ever Shall & will Warrant & for ever ^by these Presents^ Defend as well
against me the s.d Robert Sanders the Elder my heirs Ex.rs Adm.rs & Assigns for ever as from & against all & every other Person & Persons whatsoever Claiming by from or under me the said Robert Sanders my heirs Ex.rs Adm.rs or Assigns or any of them In Witness whereof I the s.d Robert Sanders have hereunto Set my hand & Affixed my Seal this thirteenth Day of May in the Twenty first Year of his Lordship the Lord Prop.rys Dominion Annoq
Domini One thousand seven hundred & thirty five
Signed Sealed & Delivered
In Presence of us Robert Sanders seale
Tho.s Lynn
W Jennings On the Back of the foregoing Deed is thus
Indorst Viz.t

Maryland fs.t
Be it remembered that on the 13.th Day of
May Anno Domini Seventeen hundred & thirty five Came the
Within Named Robert Sanders the Elder & Acknowledged the within Deed to be his Proper Act & the Lands & Premisses therein Mentioned to be the Right Interest & Title of the within Named Robert Sanders Jun.r his heirs & Assigns for ever According to the true Intent and Meaning of the Same Deed & the Act of Assembly in Such Case made & Provided which s.d Acknowledgment is Taken & Certified by me
the Subscriber one of his Lordships Justices of the Provincial Court of
Maryland Witness my hand the Day & Year aforesaid

June 13 1735 John Smith
Then received of Robert Sanders for his Lordships use
the Sum of ten Shillings Sterling for the Alienation fine on the Within Lands I say Reced P me
Benj.a Tasker
Recorded August y.e 5.th 1735

Re: Early Maryland Records (1714 & 1735)

Posted: 5 Oct 2008 8:52PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2008 1:24PM GMT
Surnames: sanders, saunders
Mike, These deeds appear to be for James Sanders/Saunders who died in Anne Arundel Co Md and whose will was filed on 5-20-1702. I have recently discovered that he was my 7th grgrandfather, and was the the father of James, Anne, and Robert Sanders. Anne married 1) Capt Nicholas Gassaway and 2) Samuel Chambers who was born 1670 in Anne Arundel Co Md. Anne and Samuel were my 6th grgrandparents. I don't know a whole lot about this family, but do think this is them, being that a Samuel Young was one of the appraisers of James Sanders' estate. James lived in London Town, on the South River, his wife was named Rebecca, and he was a member of the Council of Maryland. However, I don't know anything about his origins, nor anything beyomd Samuel Chambers either. If you have any further information about this family, I would love to have it.
The Sanders name shows up in some family deeds and marriages in the late 1700's in Burke County Georgia. amd I think the Sanders family connections in Georgia probably came from this same Sanders connection from earlier in Maryland. Samuel's son Nicholas Chambers lived in Cecil Co Md, where Jonas Chambers was born abt 1741. Sometime between 1785 and 1788, Jonas moved his family to Burke County Ga. I would love to be able to connect these families.

Re: Early Maryland Records (1653 & 1793)

Posted: 3 Jun 2011 8:14PM GMT
Sorry if I'm repetitive with this info. Sharing for others that may not have seen this info for Anne Arundel Co., Md.

Sanders found in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland Deed Books (1653 – 1793). Sad to say but I don't believe anyone has been able to find a prior connection to this James.

Book IH1 folio 1 – 4 December 1705 – James Saunders. In the fourth year of the reign of Queen Anne of England, France, Scotland and Ireland appoints James Sanders, and others, as Justices at Annapolis.

Book IH2 folio 170 – 1 August 1668 – Richard Board to James Sanders of South River in Anne Arundel County a tract of land called Johns Cabbin Ridge. Bounded by Johns Cabbin Branch and Flatt Creek containing 30 acres and a second parcel of 265 acres.

Book IH2 folio 174 – 27 October in the 9th year of the reign of our Lord King William the III of England, France, Scotland and Ireland, between Abraham Desap to James Sanders the older. A tract of land called Lapstone lying on the west side of Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of a river called the South River adjoining William Pennington’s lands containing 300 acres. A second parcel of 50 acres called Lapston. For and in consideration of 12 thousand pounds of good merchantable tobacco.

Book WT2 page 181 – March 1703/4 – James Sanders’ mark is a cross and a hole in the right ear and a slit in the left.

Book PK page 324 – 10 October 1710 – James Carroll from William Jones and James Sanders planters for 42 pounds sterling of Great Britain. The one tract of land called Johns Cabbin Ridge the other part of Beards habitation and distinguished by the name of North Addition both containing about 150 acres.

Book SY1 page 199 – 21 April 1726 – Robert Sanders Sr. to James Sanders his son a tract of land called Batchellors Hope?? lying on the West side of South River containing 200 acres. Rebecca Sanders wife of Robert agrees with transaction.

Book RD3 page 241 – 25 December 1739 – Philip Thomas, Richard Chew and Mary Chew are seized of a certain tract of land called Gowry Banks for and in consideration of 100 pounds sterling money in hand paid by John Sanders. They grant to John Sanders (also spelled Saunders in the same deed) 300 acres of land except for 17 acres in the possession and occupation of William Wilson.

Book RB1 page 13 – 3 July 1740 – John Gassaway to Robert Saunders for and in consideration of 80 pounds being paid to his father for his half acre of land conveyed to the society within mentioned. Now this half acre goes to Robert Saunders whereof the house in which the society or company commonly called the South River Club now stands. The half acre is part of a tract of land called Betty’s Park. For the term of 999 years.

Book RB2 page 361 – 6 April 1747 – Harrison Lane to John Sanders for 62 pounds and 15 shillings sterling money of Great Britain for a tract of land called Birkhead Lott adjoining Lyons Creek Branch containing 95 acres of land.

Book RB3 page 572 – 30 January 1753 – Thomas Elliott to James Sanders for 30 pounds sterling parts of 2 tracts of land called Waterford and Velmead containing 100 acres.

Book RB3 page 713 – 2 October 1754 – Harrison Lane to Elizabeth Sanders for 81 pounds sterling money a tract of land being part of a tract called Birkhead Lott a corner of which is the same tract of land laid out for John Sanders who is now deceased containing 90 acres of land.

Book BB2 page 665 – 22 June 1762 - Thomas Somes to Henry Sanders for 10 pounds both of St. James Parrish of Anne Arundel County for 3 cows 2 calves and 2 yearlings.

Book BB2 page 724 – 27 October 1762 – Nicholas Gassoway to Robert Sanders Gent. For 228 pounds sterling money of Great Britain a tract of land previously surveyed for Thomas Howell called and known as the name of Howell lying on the West side of Chesapeake Bay near a bay called the Three Island Bay upon a branch of the said bay called Road River containing 100 acres. Also a tract of land called Laws Chance containing 46 acres, also bounding the Road River.

Book BB2 page 725 – 27 October 1762 – Thomas Gassoway Gent. to Robert Sanders Gent. a tract of land called Linthicums Lott on the West River containing 70 acres and 14 acres part of the tract called Hedge Park. For and in consideration of the yearly rents and covenants during the term of the natural life of Thomas Rutland Sr. upon an article of agreement with Francis Linthicum dated 1729. Robert has free access on the land until either Rutland or Linthicum passes.

Book BB3 page 158 – 13 April 1764 – Henry Sanders planter to Samuel Burgess for 152 pounds ten shillings part of a tract of land called Birkshead Lott adjoining Lyons Creek containing 95 acres. Ann wife of Henry Sanders acknowledges her release of right of dower.

Book BB3 page 179 – 4 May 1764 – Henry Sanders planter to Henry Child for 150 pounds sterling money for part of a tract of land called Gowry Banks containing 200 acres. Ann wife of Henry Sanders acknowledges her release of right of dower.

Book BB3 page 180 – 4 May 1764 – Henry Sanders planter to Cephus Child for 50 pounds sterling money for part of a tract of land called Gowry Banks containing 50 acres. Ann wife of Henry Sanders acknowledges her release of right of dower.

Book BB3 page 182 – 4 May 1764 – Henry Sanders planter to William Child for 50 pounds sterling money for part of a tract of land called Gowry Banks containing 50 acres. Ann wife of Henry Sanders acknowledges her release of right of dower.

Book BB3 page 391 – 27 June 1765 - Henry Sanders is indebted to Nicholas McCubbin for 52 pounds 12 shillings and 5 pence sterling. He has bargained and transferred over to McCubbin 1 negro man named Abraham aged 25 years, 1 negro man named Will aged 28 years, 1 negro woman named Moll aged 32 years, 1 negro girl aged about 15 years which are now in Henry’s possession.

Book BB3 page 437 – 1 August 1765 – Henry Sanders to Elizabeth Sanders for 112 pounds sterling and 15 pounds currency for a tract of land called Smith’s Delight containing 150 acres. Ann wife of Henry Sanders acknowledges her release of right of dower.

Book BB3 page 469 – 31 August 1765 – Elizabeth Sanders to Charles Owens for 112 pounds and 10 shillings sterling for part of the tract of land called Birkhead Lott containing 90 acres.

Book BB3 page 599 – 18 August 1766 – Bill of Sale – Arthur Collins to James Sanders Jr. for 75 pounds current money for sundry items.

Book BB3 page 746 – 31 August 1767 – Elizabeth Sanders widow and relict of the late John Sanders deceased to Saml Burgess assignee for my son Henry Sanders. Her late husband John Sanders purchased during his life Burkshead Lott and now it goes over to Saml Burgess (it reads like this was done to cover Henry Sanders’ debts).

Book IB3 page 207 – 24 December 1771 – Ann Lux widow and William Lux merchant and eldest son of Darby Lux deceased of Baltimore Co. to William Saunders Jr. Gent. of Anne Arundel Co. Whereas Robert Sanders by deed of gift on 19 November 1734 did grant to Darby Lux and Ann his wife part of a certain tract or parcel of land called Pleasant Prospect containing 67 acres. Whereas Darby Lux did during his lifetime sell to William Sanders the said 67 acres for 50 pounds sterling. William Sanders paid off the 50 pounds but then died prior to receiving a deed. In his will he gave the 67 acres to his son William Sanders.

Book IB5 page 35 – 30 August 1774 – Ann Sanders spinster to William Manyard mariner for 5 shillings sterling for 150 acres part of the tract of land called Smiths Delight and 3 negro slaves, a woman called Phillis, a girl called Hannah and a boy called Sam. (this is an odd price, was he related?)

Book IB5 page 700 – 24 June 1778 – Francis Linthicum planter to William Sanders gentleman for 412 pounds 12 shillings current money all that tract of land called by the name Linthicums Lott lying on the south side of South River adjoining and contiguous to a tract in the possession of William Sanders called Lapstone containing 70 acres.

Book NH2 page 451 – 8 June 1786 – William Sanders gentleman and Sarah his wife to John Small for 1,200 pounds current money for 4 parcels of land lying on the south side of Magothy River. One called by the name of Homewood’s Chance containing 300 acres, one called Blaye’s Neck containing 200 acres, one called Young Richard containing 133 acres and one other tract containing 40 acres. Of which several tracts were devised by the last will and testament of William Worthington late of this county deceased to Sarah Sanders by the name of Sarah Davis.

Book NH2 page 602 – 27 April 1787 – Francis Linthicum planter to William Sanders planter for 100 pounds current money in a parcel of land lying on South River and bounding a tract of land called Lapston containing 25 acres. Also adjoins tract owned by Ann Sanders.

Book NH6 page 622 – 3 May 1793 – Robert Sanders to Robert Stewart. Robert Sanders is seized of all that part of a tract of land called Sanders’ Chance to the westward of the division line mentioned in the will of his father and in part of 2 tracts of land called Waterford and Velmead heretofore sold by Thomas Elliott deceased to James Sanders deceased, father to the said Robert Sanders, containing 100 acres for the sum of 5 shillings current money. (once again why only 5 shillings?).

Re: Early Maryland Records (1653 & 1793)

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 5:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2011 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: SAUNDERS, SANDERS, WILSON
I am researhing my grandparents SAUNDERS AND WILSON families of MD & VA that were in Charleston area of Kanawha Co, WV by earliest 1800s.
My gf James SAUNDERS/SANDERS 1819-1864 m 1845 Leah Virginia WILSON 1823-1895 in S Charleston, Kanawha Co, WV
Best,
Hal McCawley 4178 Pindar Way, Oceanside, CA 92056 1-760-941-4716 HalMac@Cox.Net
Researching McCAULEY,SANDERS,WILSON,CHRISTIAN,SEE,,,

Early Maryland Records (1748 - 1803) Frederick Co.

Posted: 5 Jun 2011 11:00AM GMT
Surnames: Sanders Saunders
Sanders found in Frederick Co., Maryland Deed Books (1748 - 1803)

Book L Page 327 – 17 May 1768 – Bill of Sale – Henry Saunders of Frederick Co. to Susana Johns of Anne Arundel Co. for 27 pounds sterling and 7 pounds currency for 2 negroes , one negro man Sam and one negro woman Annie, 3 horses, 4 feather beds and furniture and the negroes increase. Payment is to be made in full by the first day of September next.

Book 8 page 570 – 4 August 1789 – Per John Turner the following power of attorney is recorded. I Robert Saunders of Rowan County, North Carolina have appointed John Turner as my lawful attorney and to convey unto George Frederick Kindley by deed a tract of land containing 250 acres.

Book 8 page 571 – 4 August 1789 – Indenture made 7 February 1789 between Robert Sanders of Rowan County, North Carolina to George Frederick Kindley of Frederick Co., Md. For 500 pounds current money all that tract of land called Halls Roquery and Quakers Bite on the waters of Bennitts Creek containing 250 acres.

Re: Early Maryland Records (1776 - 1849) Washington Co.

Posted: 7 Jun 2011 6:43PM GMT
Sanders found in Washington Co., Maryland Deed Books (1776 - 1849)

Book G page 312 – 1 February 1791 – Bill of Sale - John Saunders of Washington Co. to Godfried Stemple of same location for 5 pounds current money for one bay horse with a blaze face by the name of Sterling. Payment to be in full by April next. (by 1792 John Sanders and Godfried Stemple have relocated to the present day area of Aurora, Preston County, West Virginia as they are on Virginia tax lists).

Book P page 132 – 20 June 1803 – (in the index it shows this is for John Sanders but when you read the document it is actually for George Sanders). Constables Bond – George Sanders and Samuel Lynch bound to the state for $250. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1801 in Chapter 62. (None of the Constable Bonds for George Saunders indicate at what location he was to serve. All of the ones listed with his name indicate that he was the one serving as Constable while the additional persons named were only responsible for the cost of posting the bond).

C H A P LXII Passed 31st of Dec. 1801

A Supplement to an ad, entitled, An ad for regulating the mode of staying execution, and repealing the ads of assembly therein mentioned, and for other purposes.
I.BE IT ENACTED, by the General Assembly of Maryland, That from -and after the twentieth day of March next, no justice of the peace of this state, before whom supersedeas on any judgment Rendered by a single magistrate hath been taken, shall make return of any such supersedeas to the office of the said county court, for the purpose that the same should be recorded or filed therein by the clerk of the said county, any law to the contary notwithstanding.

II. AND BE IT ENACTED, That any justice of the peace before whom supersedeas shall or may be taken from and after the said twentieth day of March next, or any other justice of the peace of said county, may and shall, at the request of the plaintiff, or any other person authorised by or on
behalf of said plaintiff, issue execution by way of capias ad satisfaciendum or fieri facias against the principal debtor and his securities, or against either of them, after the expiration of the time so mentioned in the said supersedeas.

III. AND BE IT ENACTED, That the constables of the respective counties of this state, who have been, or may hereafter be, duly appointed and qualified according to law, are hereby authorised and empowered to serve and levy executions issued by a justice of the peace on judgments
obtained for small debts out of court, in the same manner and by the same process as the sheriff or their deputies are by law authorised to do, and to receive the same fees that the said sheriffs are entitled by law to receive for the same services; provided nevertheless, that the said constables shall, before they proceed to discharge the duties required by this act give bond to the state of
Maryland, with good and sufficient security, in the penalty of two hundred and fifty dollars, to be approved of by the levy court of the county, for the due performance of the duties of a constable, and also the duties and trust reposed in them by virtue of this act, whose duty it shall be to have the same filed or entered on record by their clerks; provided also that nothing in this act contain-
ed shall be construed to prohibit or prevent the sheriff or their deputies, in the respective counties, from executing or levying executions issued by a justice of the peace for small debts out of court, when the same are put into their hands for that purpose, in .the same manner as by law
they have been or now are authorised to do.

IV. AND BE IT ENACTED, That where any judgment obtained before a single magistrate shall have continued for more than one year, and the said judgment had not been paid or satisfied, it shall and may be lawful for the justice before whom the said judgments had been obtained, or any
other justice of the peace for said county, to revive the same by, a writ of scire facias, which shall be made returnable on a certain day, not exceeding forty days from the time of issuing the same, to the said justice, or to any other justice of the peace of said county ; and any constable, qualified as above mentioned, of the, hundred, or of the said county, is hereby authorised and required
to serve such writ of scire facias and make due return thereof on the return day mentioned in the said writ, in the same/manner, and entitled to the same fee, and liable to the same penalty, as in the case of a warrant issued by a single magistrate, according to the law in such case made and provided.

V. AND BE IT ENACTED, That it may be lawful for any constable of the county qualified as aforesaid, to deliver at the county gaol, to the sheriff or gaoler of the said county, any person committed by a single magistrate on a capias ad satisfaciendum, when the case may or doth so re-
quire, and that the said sheriff or his gaoler are hereby required and directed to take charge of such person, and the same in his custody safe keep, until such person or persons shall be duly discharged therefrom according to law.

VI. AND BE IT ENACTED, That this act shall, continue to be in force for and during the continuance of the act to which this is a supplement.

VII, AND BE IT ENACTED, That so much of the act to which this is a supplement as is contrary to, or inconsistent .with, this act, be and the same is hereby repealed.

Book P page 666 – 5 June 1804 – Constables Bond – George Saunders and Samuel Lynch bound to the state for $250. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1801 in Chapter 62.

Book S page 1807 – 12 October 1807 – Constables Bond – George Saunders and Jacob Friend bound to the state for $250. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1801 in Chapter 62.

Book T page 48 – 18 July 1808 – Constables Bond – George Saunders and Daniel Weisel bound to the state for $250. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1801 in Chapter 62.

Book T page 322 – 1 May 1809 – Constables Bond – George Saunders and William S. Compton bound to the state for $250. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1801 in Chapter 62.

Book W page 98 – 7 May 1810 – Constables Bond – George Saunders and John Shafer bound to the state for $800. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1809 on an act entitled An act relating to Constable Bonds.

Book W page 559 – 27 May 1811 – Constables Bond – George Saunders, William S. Compton and Leonard Shafer bound to the state for $800. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1809 chapter 177.

Book W page 646 – 4 May 1811 recorded28 July 1811 – Deed – John Know to James Saunders for $50 a parcel of land containing 23 acres and 64 perches known by the name of New Desire.

Book Y page 308 – 17 August 1812 - George Saunders and George Locke bound to the state for $800. Duties are defined in the Acts of Assembly created November session of 1809 chapter 177.

CHAP. CLXXVII.
Passed 7th of Jan. 1810.
An ACT relating to Constables Bonds.
WHEREAS the present general assembly of Maryland hath enlarged the jurisdiction of justices of the peace: And whereas the penalty of the bond executed by the constables is not high enough for the increased duties transferred on them; therefore,

II. BE IT ENACTED, by the General Assembly of Maryland, That in lieu of the bond! prescribed by the act of eighteen hundred and one, each and every constable, before he acts as such, shall give bond to the state of Maryland, with good and sufficient security, in the penalty of eight hundred dollars, to be approved of by the levy court of the county, conditioned, that the said constable shall well and faithfully execute the same office in all things appertaining thereto, and shall also well and truly account for all monies placed in his hands for collection, and shall also well and truly pay all sums of money received by him; and it shall be the duty of the levy court to have the same entered on record by their clerks, and a copy thereof, under the seal of the court, shall be good evidence to
prove the execution of such bond in any court of this state.

III. AND BE IT ENACTED, That an attested copy of the said bond shall be good evidence in law to maintain an action of debt for the breach of any condition of the said bond as if the same was actually produced and proved in the said court,

IV. AND BE IT ENACTED, That whenever any evidences of debts are put into the hands of any constable for collection, it shall be his duty to execute a receipt for the same, if demanded, anil upon his neglect or refusal to do so he shall forfeit the sum of five dollars, to be recovered before any single magistrate by the party grieved, for each and every offence.

Book Y page 553 – 22 February 1813 – Deed – Francis T. Clements and Lewis Dewall of Annapolis to Joseph Hurst Sanders of Washington Co. for $20 current money a tract of land called Cloudy Weather consisting of 19 and 3 quarter acres.

Book Z page 683 – 13 September 1814 – Constables Bond – James Saunders, Elias Stillwell and David Stephens are bound to the state for $800. James Saunders is appointed Constable for Linton Hundred for one year from 1 May 1814 to 1 May 1815.

Book AA page 627 – 23 October 1815 – Deed – Margaret Noe to James Saunders for $66 current money a tract of land called Bucks Lodge containing 29 and 7/16 acres. In the description of the land it notes that it is adjacent to land where James currently lives. (this must be the property referenced in Deed W page 646 in 1811).

Book DD page 287 – 22 December 1818 – Bill of Sale – James Myers of Washington County to Thomas Sanders of Davidson County Tennessee for $1000 a negro man slave named Jack Tawney a blacksmith by trade about 30 years of age.

Book EE page 942 – 23 December 1820 – Bill of Sale – Cyrus Saunders to John B. Lynch for $200 one negro woman named Nancy about 20 years of age and her child Mary Catherine aged about 2 years.

Book FF page 676 – 8 April 1822 – Manumission – Joseph Smith. For divers good causes and consideration me thereunto moving as also in further consideration of $10 have released from slavery liberated manumitted and set free my negro man named Thomas Sanders being of the age of 28 years.

Book FF page 739 – 17 May 1822 – Constables Bond – Cyrus Saunders, James Moore and Cyrus R. Saunders bound to the state for $800. Cyrus Saunders is appointed Constable for Williamsport from first Monday May 1822 to first Monday May of 1823.

Book HH page 471 – 24 June 1825 – Deed – James Saunders of Washington County to Daniel Schnebly. James Saunders is indebted to Henry Wills for $50 and to Thomas C. Brent for $150. James is placing lands near the town of Hancock totaling nearly 105 acres, Bucks Lodge about 29 acres that he purchased from Margaret Noe, New Desire containing about 23 acres that he purchased from John Noe, land he purchased from Godmann heirs containing about 20 acres and land he purchased from M. M. Boyd containing about 33 acres. Schnebly to sell lands either publicly or privately and use the proceeds to pay James’ debts. The remaining lands or monies to be held in trust for James Saunders or his heirs and to repay James from the remainder including interest.

Book PP page 279 – 27 August 1834 – Deed – William Powell, Susan Powell and George Fisher to James Sanders, all of Washington County, for $100 part of a tract of land called Harbour containing 12 and 3/4 acres.

Book ZZ page 641 – 23 November 1842 – Deed – Henry Rice to William Sanders for $110 a tract of land called Smith’s Dwelling containing 4 acres, 1 rod and 13 perches.

Book IN3 page 160 – 8 February 1848 – Bill of Sale – James Saunders to Edward Gaither for $275, all the goods, household stuff, implements and furniture hereafter mentioned; a negro woman named Sally Saunders aged 44 years, a female child the daughter of Sally that I purchased this day from Edward Gaither administrator of Susan S. Gaither deceased and now in my possession.

Book IN3 page 479 – 27 May 1848 – Deed – George W. Nally, Walter W. Nally and Lucinda wife of Walter of Pickaway County Ohio to Abraham Sanders of Washington County for $300 part of a tract of land called the Resurvey on part of Contentment containing 2 1/4 acres and 36 perches.

Book IN4 page 444 – 7 August 1849 – Manumission – Daniel Winters manumits Thomas Sanders a negro man aged 42 years.

Re: Early Maryland Records (1696-1803) Prince Georges Co.

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 8:37AM GMT
Sanders found in Prince Georges Co., Maryland Deed Books (1696-1803)

Book I page 299 – 18 July 1722 – Deed – Robert Saunders __holder and Mary his wife of Prince Georges County to John Davis of Charles County for 6,000 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called The Forrest adjoining Nicholas Davis’ land containing 122 acres.

Book M page 66 – 4 October 1726 – Deed – On the 19th day of March in the 12th year of the reign of our sovereign Lord George of Great Britain, France and Ireland King 1725. Robert Sanders of St. Margarett Westminster in the County of Middlesex Gentleman to William Calmes of the same parish and county for 100 pounds lawful money of Great Britain all that remaining part of a tract of land called Ward’s Pasture containing 100 acres. Lying in the Parish of S Paul at the head of a branch called Collier’s Branch on Patuxent River and adjoining the estate of Maj Thomas Brooke.

Book Y page 357 – 19 August 1741 – Power of Attorney – Edmund Saunders, Abel Grant, Humphrey Fitzherbert, Thomas Gibbs and Peregrin Stockdale all of the city of Bristol merchants surviving part owners of the ship Berkley Gally appoint Lyonel Lyde and Edward Cooper both of the city of Bristol esquires to recover costs of transactions with William Diggs and Henry Darnell the younger of Patuxent River Colony of Maryland and George Attwood of Potomack River Colony of Maryland.

Book TT page 484 – 10 October 1765 – Deed – Thomas Sanders of Fairfax County Virginia to Daniel Stephenson for 438 pounds and 18 shillings sterling of Great Britain for tracts of land one called Waugh Town containing 492 acres adjoining Benjamin Haddock lands and 1 other tract of land called Chance containing 20 acres of land.

Book HH page 514 – 25 September 1787 – Supercedeas – Ann Sanders administratix of Joseph Sanders for the sum of 1,000 pounds crop tobacco and 5 shillings current money with interest from 15 May 1784 and 269 pounds of tobacco costs of suit against James Moran, John Lovejoy and Alexander Lovejoy.

Patent Record NS B p.554 in 1688 for Sanders Folly containing 34 acres patented by Mattew Sanders.

Patent Record IL A p.490 on 02/25/1724 for Guests Pasture containing 59 acres by Robert Sanders.

Patent Record 19 p.127 in 1675 for Bristoll containing 1670 acres by John Saunders.

Patent Record BC and GS 8 p.444 in 1758 for Chance containing 25 acres by Thomas Saunders.

Early Maryland Records (1653-1803) Baltimore Co.

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 3:49PM GMT
Sanders found in Baltimore Co., Maryland Deed Books (1653 - 1803)

Book IR PP page 22 – 30 April 1678 – Power of Attorney - Joseph Sanders of the city of Bristol merchant, attorney of John Rogers of the same city of the one part and Miles Gibson planter of Baltimore County of the second part. Tract of land called Port Royal and lying in Chesapeake Bay on the western side near Rumley Creek containing 50 acres. John Rogers grants Joseph Sanders P of A to sell land.

Book HS page 121 – 9 April 1685 – Deed – Thomas Lightfoot surveyor to James Sanders planter of Ann Arundel County a tract of land called James Forrest being part of 2 tracts of land, one is 1,000 acres and the other 500 acres, both called Expectation upon the Gunpowder River, on the south side of the north branch of said river. Rebecca Lightfoot wife of Thomas acknowledges her right of dower. (It states that the transaction was “for a valuable consideration already in hand received and paid”).

Book HWS M page 182 – 6 March 1733 – Deed – Henry Rhodes to Edward Sanders planter of Baltimore County for 2,000 pounds of tobacco a 50 acre tract of land being part of 230 acres formerly purchased by Henry Rhodes from Thomas Bale being part of a larger tract called Gibsons Ridge. Lying on Winters Run at the head of Bush River.

Book TB D page 338 – 4 June 1745 – Indenture – deed Robert Saunders of Ann Arrundell County and Rebeccah his wife / sister of Moses Groome late of Baltimore County to Darby Lux for and in consideration of the love and effection which they have and bear unto the said Darby Lux their son and also in consideration of 5 shillings for a tract of land called Grooms Chance lying in Baltimore County on the east side of the Little Falls of Gunpowder River. Granted on or about 1 October 1687 to Moses Groome (father of the aforementioned Moses Groome and of the said Rebeccah Saunders) for 300 acres. (like most all of these deeds the names Sanders and Saunders are both used in the same deed).

Book TR D page 556 – 6 June 1753 – Deed – Thomas Bond to Edward Saunders plantor of Baltimore County on 28 acres of land being part of Gibsons Ridge whereon Edward Saunders’ dwelling house and out buildings now stand. (very confusing).

Book TR D page 557 – 6 June 1753 – Deed – Edward Saunders to Thomas Bond. (same land as above although it does mention that the 28 is part of the 50 acres that Edward purchased from Henry Rhodes). Christiana Saunders wife of Edward Saunders acknowledges her right of dower.

Book B G page 134 – 9 May 1758 – Deed – Antle and Sarah Deaver of Baltimore County to their daughter Elizabeth Sanders wife of Thomas Sanders also of Baltimore County for 5 shillings current money part of a tract of land called Best Endeaver at the head of Bush River between Binam (Bynum) and James Run on the north side of the road leading from Mdm Smiths to Spesutie Church containing 7 and 1/3 acre. The alienation money required from Elizabeth was three pence half penny sterling.

Book B H page 297 – 13 May 1760 – Indenture – deed Thomas Saunders joiner and his wife Elizabeth Saunders of Baltimore County to James Stewart for 11 pounds 13 shillings current money and 200 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called Best Endeavour near the Bush River and bequeathed by John Webster to his daughter Sarah Deaver wife of Antill Deaver and afterwards the said Anthill and his wife Sarah Deaver for the love and natural affection they bear to Elizabeth Saunders containing 7 and one-third acres.

Book B I page 166 – 10 January 1761 – Deed – Edmond Talbot to James Sanders Jr. both of Baltimore County for 50 pounds sterling money a one fourth part of a lott of land lying in Baltimore Town on the west side of Jones’ Falls known by the number 32 bounding on German Lane.

Book B N page 99 – 12 May 1764 – Indenture – Robert Saunders of Ann Arundell County to John and Elizabeth Howard of Baltimore County, whereas James Saunders grandfather of the aforesaid Robert Saunders was in his life time seized in fee simple of a tract of land lying in Baltimore County called James’ Forrest containing 500 acres being part of 1500 acres called Expectation granted to one Thomas Lytfoot who sold the said 500 acres to James Saunders, who devised 1 moiety by his last will and testament to his son Robert Saunders who gave the 1 said moiety by deed to his son Robert Saunders the party first mentioned in this instrument of writing, and the other moiety he devised in his said will to his son James Saunders who devised it to his wife Jane Saunders and by her devision to her brother Thomas Gassaway who devised it by his will to the aforesaid Elizabeth Howard wife to John Howard.

Book B N page 99 – 12 May 1764 – Indenture – Robert Saunders of Anne Arundel County to John and Elizabeth Howard of Baltimore County, whereas James Saunders grandfather to the aforesaid Robert Saunders was in his life time seized in fee simple part of a tract of land in Baltimore County called James’ Forrest containing 500 acres called Expectation granted to one Thomas Lytfoot who sold it to James Saunders who devised one moiety by his last will and testament to his son Robert Saunders who gave the one moiety by deed to his son Robert Saunders the party first mentioned in this instrument. The other moiety in his said will he devised to his other son James Saunders who divided it to his wife Jane Saunders and by her devision to her brother Thomas Gassaway who devised it by his last will to the aforesaid Elizabeth Howard wife to the said John Howard. (This indenture is for a partition of land). (there are courses and distances given for each moiety but no total acreage is given for each). (although in the index the name is listed as Robert Saunders his seal is given as Robt Sanders). Courses and distances state that the land adjoins a tract of land called Bells Prosperity. (what an awesome bit of genealogy in this one document).

Book B N page 311 – 17 May 1764 – Indenture – Robert Saunders of Ann Arundell County to Rev. Hugh Deans of Baltimore County for 109 pounds sterling of Great Britain part of 2 tracts of land both called Expectation, one is 500 acres and the other 1,000 acres. This property was originally granted by patent to Thomas Lightfoot who sold it to James Saunders. (125 acres carved from the above 2 tracts is what was sold in this deed).

Book AL C page 465 – 13 May 1771 – Indenture – John Roberts planter of Baltimore County to Robert Saunders of Queen Anne’s County but formerly of Baltimore County Lotts No. 34 & 35 in Joppa for 63 pounds fifteen shillings and ten pence current money and 321 pounds of inspected tobacco.

Book AL D page 603 – 26 February 1772 – Indenture – Robert Sanders of Ann Arundell County to Isaiah Linton of Bucks County Pennsylvania for 127 pounds sterling part of a tract of land called James’ Forrest being part of 2 larger tracts called Expectation upon the head of Gunpowder River containing 125 acres.

Book AL G page 397 – 20 July 1773 – Indenture – Jacob Miller of Baltimore County to Jacob Sander of York County Pennsylvania for 400 pounds current money of Pennsylvania 2 tracts of land one called Stumps Lott containing 22 and a half acres the other called Smith Field containing 132 acres.

Book WG E page 97 – 26 October 1779 – Indenture – James Sanders Sen. farmer of Ann Arrundell County to Ezekiel Jacob for 1,100 pounds common current money one fourth part of a lott of land lying in Baltimore Town on the west side of Jones Falls known by the number 32. Susanna Sanders wife of James acknowledges her right of dower.

Book WG AA page 118 – 13 April 1787 – Indenture – John Curtis & John Perrigoe to Edward Saunders house carpenter all of Baltimore County for 10 pounds current money all those part of lotts 642 and 649 lying in the southeast addition to Baltimore Town. Near the intersection of Bank Street and Petticoat Lane. (there is also a 99 year lease involved with this property).

Book WG ZZ page 351 – 2 January 1797 – Indenture – Joseph Fleming to George and Humphrey Sanders all of Baltimore Town and Baltimore County a lease on part of a Lott in Baltimore County with a term of 99 years with yearly payments due. 4 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence current money from Sanders’ as tenants in common. (no distinguishing references in the courses and distances given for the lott)

Book WG 57 page 223 – 15 September 1798 – Indenture - George Sanders carpenter City of Baltimore to Humphrey Sanders carpenter City of Baltimore for 4 pounds 10 shillings for the lott in WG ZZ page 351. (in the description it only mentions a couple of Alleys but not by name).

Book WG 60 page 602 – 6 January 1800 – Indenture – Anthony Lynch gentleman of Baltimore County to George Sanders carpenter of Baltimore County, a lease in consideration of the payment of the rents and performance of the covenants herein mentioned for part of a tract of land called Luns Lott running parallel with Mulberry Street and near Howard Street. Property is bound to a term of 99 years. A yearly rent of 2 pounds 16 shillings and 3 pence in half Joehanneses at 3 pounds each and Mexican dollars at 7 shillings and sixpence each on the first day of August each year if in arrears by more than 60 days.

Book WG 71 page 637 – 10 May 1802 – Indenture – lease from Revd. Frances Charles Nagot president of the French Seminary to George Sanders for a lease on 2 lotts number 71 & 72 part of a tract called Chatsworth and now Nagot’s Ground near Eutaw Street and Paca Street.

Book WG 72 page 349 – 20 August 1801 – Indenture – lease from John Carroll Bishop of the Catholic Church to Edward Sanders of Baltimore County lot number 10 part of a tract called Lunns Lott near Eutaw Street (99 year leases must be a common thing in Baltimore).

Book WG 70 page 570 – 16 February 1802 – Indenture – George Sanders of Baltimore County to Samuel Chamberlin for $200 current money property near Mulberry Street and near the intersection with Howard Street. George had purchased this lott from Anthony Lynch and the lease of remaining term transfers.

Book WG 73 page 154 – 3 July 1802 – Indenture – George Sanders of Baltimore County to Valentine Foreman lease on a lott that George had acquired from Francis Charles Nagot near Eutaw Street and New Lane.

Book WG 73 page 296 – 7 July 1802 – Indenture – George Sanders of Baltimore County to Valentine Foreman lease on a lott that George had acquired from Francis Charles Nagot near Eutaw Street and New Lane.

Book WG 74 page 95 – 13 December 1802 – Indenture – Humphrey Sanders of Baltimore County to John Lynch for $208 a lott in the City of Baltimore. Humphrey purchased lott from George Sanders.

Book WG 74 page 608 – 20 December 1802 – Indenture – Deed Henry Peters to Humphrey Sanders of Baltimore County for 150 pounds current money part of a tract of land called Manheim Town containing 50 acres.

Book WG 75 page 405 – 15 December 1802 – Indenture – lease John Lynch to Edward Sanders of Baltimore County a lott near Ross and Eutaw Streets with the remainder of the term of 99 years.

Book WG 77 page 4 – 22 July 1803 – Indenture – Humphrey Sanders of Baltimore County to Jacob Algeier Jr. for $500 current money part of a tract of land called Manheim Town containing 50 acres. Urith Sanders wife of Humphrey acknowledges her right of dower.

Book WG 79 page 420 – 9 December 1803 – Indenture – lease Aquila Massey to Valentine Sander a lott in Baltimore City near Bridge Street and Forrest Street with the remainder of the term of 99 years.

Land Patent
Unpatented Certificate 1448 – 25 June 1751 – Thomas Sanders 60 acres on Sanders Reserve on the north side of Punchion Cabbin Branch.

Re: Early Maryland Records (1658-1800 Charles County)

Posted: 27 Jun 2011 7:59PM GMT
Sanders found in Charles Co., Maryland Deed Books (1658 - 1800)(the date given if available was the date of the agreement and not its recorded date)(all Sanders parties were from Charles County unless otherwise specified)

Book F page 73 – 9 March 1674 – Thomas Brookes of Calvert County to John Saunders of the city of Bristoll and kingdom of England merchant for 1,000(?) pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called Nonesush lying and being above Piscattaway containing 106 acres(?).

Book F page 95 – 10 March 1674 – Edward Maddorhoff to John Saunders of the city of Bristoll and kingdom of England merchant for 4,000 pounds of tobacco a tract of land called Groome’s Purchase lying on the east side of ?? River containing 500 acres.

Book G page 20 – 9 March 1676 – Garrett Sinnett to Matthew Saunders, Thomas Bryant of Charles County for 2,000 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called St. Peters near Portobacco or St. Thomas Creek containing 150 acres.

Book F page 243 – 19 February 1676 – John Allen to John Saunders of the city of Bristoll in the kingdom of England merchant for 50,000 pounds of tobacco 1 moiety or half part of a tract of land called Onick(?) Damm lying on the west side of Zekiah Swamp containing 50 acres and also one moiety or half part of Goatsmills Mills being 2 grist mills and 1 moiety or half part of Smith’s shop and 1 moiety or half part of all improved buildings households etc.

Book H page 6 – 10 June 1678 – John Saunders late of the city of Bristoll but now of Charles County Gentleman to William Wells a tract of land called Nonesush for 9,000 pounds of good merchantable tobacco containing 106 acres.

Book H page 8 – 10 June 1678 – John Saunders of Charles County Gent. to William Wells Gent. for 4,000 pounds of good merchantable tobacco part of Groome’s Purchase lying east of ?? River containing 200 acres.

Book K page 183 – 8 June 1683 – Phillip Lynds to Matthew Sanders planter both of Charles County for 10,000 pounds of tobacco parcel of land on the south side of Piscattaway River and on the east side of St. Thomas or Mattawoman Creek containing 500 acres.

Book S page 286 – 16 October 1684 – Edward Sanders of Charles County gent. administrator for Henry Brayne deceased and Jane Sanders his wife to Giles Blizard. Witnesseth that whereas the aforesaid Henry Brayne on 2 July 1674 did become bound to pay unto John ???? for the use of his daughter Susanna ???? the sum of 20,000 pounds of tobacco, marriage was 21 August last past between Giles Blizard and Susanna. Edward and Jane Sanders sell unto Giles Blizard for 20,000 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called Bow Plain lying on the east side of Ana ?? River near St. Johns Creek containing 1,000 acres. (per another document the last name is probably Caine)

Book C 2 page 94 – 4 March 1707 – Indenture – Henry Moore to John Sanders both of Charles County for 14,500 pounds of tobacco parcel of land commonly called Whittland lying on the north side of Piscattaway River and on the south side of Thomas’ Creek containing 400 acres.

Book C 2 page 99 – 25 March 1708 – Indenture – Edward Sanders planter to his brother John Sanders both of Charles County for 100 pounds sterling money of England and 5,000 pounds of good tobacco a parcel of land formerly belonging to John Caine and now in the possession of Edward Sanders grandson of him the said John Caine, the said land being part of a tract of land resurveyed for John Caine on 18 January 1685 called Caine’s Purchase 700 acres lying on the north side of Potomack River and west side of Thomas’ Creek. The part now being sold by Edward Sanders to John Sanders, his brother, is at the mouth of a marshy beach formerly called Deep Branch containing 350 acres formerly in the possession of one Giles Blizzard by virtue of a gift from John Caine and recovered at law by a court of chancery bearing date 10 February 1693 obtained by Edward Sanders and Jane his wife late deceased was father and mother of the aforesaid Edward Sanders (a very hard document to read). In deed Book L page 1 Giles Blizzard was married to Susanna Caine daughter of John Caine. (I assume that Jane Sanders is nee Caine, also a daughter of John Caine).

Book C 2 page 174 – 14 March 1709 – William Chandler to James Sanders planter for 77 pounds sterling a tract of land called Chandler’s Hill containing 300 acres.

Book C 2 page 188 – 9 June 1710 – Thomas Sanders gent. to Joseph Pellufus and Mary his wife for 7,000 pounds of tobacco a tract of land called Napping adjoining Port Tobacco Creek and near Mattawoman containing 100 acres.

Book C 2 page 248 – 1 June 1710 – John Doyne to Charles Sanders gent. a tract of land adjoining Roberts Branch and Elizabeth Branch and also Spring Branch Falls containing 50 acres for a term of 15 years for 600 pounds of tobacco paying each and every year.

Book F 2 page 89 – 27 January 1715 – William Sairgant to Jno Sanders planter for 1,500 pounds of tobacco, one young horse, bridle and saddle a tract of land called William’s Purchase containing 197 acres adjoining Avon River.

Book H 2 page 73 – 26 February 1716 – Indenture – John Woodyard and Jean his wife daughter of late Gerard Browne and John Nenton son of the late Richard Nenton to John Sanders all of Charles County a tract of land being on the south side of Mattawoman on St. Thomas’ Creek being a part of Christian Tempell Manor containing 100 acres for 3,000 punds of tobacco.

Book H 2 page 145 – 7 March 1717 – Indenture – Deed of Bargain of Sale – John Woodyard and Jane (also spelled Joan in this writing) his wife and John Newton of the first part and John Sanders of the second part all of Charles County for and in consideration of a tract of land called St. Margareth containing 80 acres, assigned over to them this instant for a term of 58 years by the said John Sanders. For part of a tract of land called Sinfous Supply(?) lying on the east side of Piscattaway River and on the south side of a creek formerly called Mattawoman but now St. Thomas Creek adjoining Christian Temple Manor containing 100 acres. (so here we have a true land swap as no money appeared to change hands).

Book H 2 page 427 – 14 March 1720 – Thomas Sanders gent. to Thomas Osborn a tract of land called Napping containing 100 acres and 40 acres of Littleworth part of the tract named York for 750 pounds of good tobacco annually for 11 years. Charles Sanders a justice of the peace is one of the witnesses.

Book H 2 page 347 – 28 May 1720 – John Sanders of Mattawoman requested that this deed be recorded on 8 June 1720. Gerard Marshall of St. Mary’s County to John Sanders of Charles County for 1,500 pounds of tobacco and 3 pounds sterling money a moiety or half part of a parcel of land called Synfous Supply also a moiety or half part of a parcel of land lying in Christian Temple Manor sold by Thomas Actifon deceased unto Gerard Browne deceased. (the quantity of land and courses and distances / location is not provided for this tract of land).

Book H 2 page 433 – 13 June 1721 – Thomas Sanders to Charles Sanders, whereas Edward Sanders brother to the said Thomas & Charles Sanders late of said county deceased by his last will and testament 17 September 1720 where he devised some of his lands to his brother Charles. Also mentions some land that Edward had formerly sold to his brother John Sanders. Some mention of a tract of land called Caine’s Purchase on the west side of Portobacco Creek containing 170 acres.

Book H 2 page 466 – 7 August 1721 – John Smoot and Susanna(?) his wife to John Sanders all of Charles County for 7,500 pounds of tobacco a tract of land being part of Christian Temple Manor that is to say where a Richd Coombs formerly dwelt and all the land on that the branch whereon the plantation lyeth which was bequeathed to the said Susanna(?it looks like Possumo but that can’t be) Smoot wife of the said John Smoot by her father in his last will and testament, being formerly in the possession of John Smoot and Susanna(Possumo) his wife but now in the possession of John Sanders.

Book L 2 page 348 – 18 November 1726 – Indenture – Thomas Sanders of Charles County from Elijah Wood of Stafford County Virginia for 2,400 pounds of tobacco all that parcel or tract of land called Lyndseys Purchase lying on the north side of Potomack River and on the west side of a creek formerly called Porto Coccao Creek but now called St. Thomas' Creek adjoining 200 acres of land lately surveyed to Job Chandler containing 50 acres.

Book L 2 page 447 – 5 November 1728 – Joseph Pollufus and Mary his wife to Thomas Sanders all of Charles County for 1,200 pounds of tobacco all that part of a tract of land called Littleworth being part of a tract called York containing 40 acres.

Book M 2 page 205 – 27 April 1730 – Indenture – Thomas Sanders the son of John Sanders to Robert Hanson for 300 pounds of tobacco for lott number 72 lying in Chanslor Town at the head of Pnonballo Creek formerly laid out for Jno Sanders father to Thomas Sanders. Signed Thos Sanders Junr.

Book M 2 page 323 – 16 February 1732 – Matthew Sanders planter to Rubin Elder and Handley Elder all of Charles County for 8,000 pounds of good sound merchantable tobacco and that Matthew is moving(?), a tract of land formerly laid out for Thos Cole on the south side of Piscattaway River and the east side of Saint Thomas Creek or Mattawoman Creek containing 150 acres.

Book O 1 page 149 – 1736 – Edward Sanders from Fidellimus Semmes (record unavailable)

Book O 1 page 202 – 1737 – Edward Sanders from Charles Bryn (record unavailable)

Book O 1 page 284 – 1738 – Edward Sanders from John Woodward (record unavailable)

Book X 2 page 52 – 26 November 1743 – John Sanders gent. of Portobello in Charles County to Joseph Noble sadler for 70 pounds current money part of a tract of land called St. Matthew where John now dwells containing 100 acres. Land is on the west side of Piscattaway Road adjoining 100 acres owned by William Sanders.

Book X 2 page 68 – 21 January 1743 – John Sanders planter to Alexander Macpherson jr. planter for 10,000 pounds of tobacco buys 100 acres being part of the tract called St. Matthews adjoining lands John sold to Noble.

Book X 2 page 120 – 14 March 1743 – Edward Sanders planter of one part and Thomas Sanders planter of the other part. Whereas Thomas Sanders planter now deceased and father to the above mentioned parties by deed on 9 June 1710 did purchase of Joseph Pallussas and Mary his wife a certain tract of land called Napping(?) on the west side of Portobacco Creek adjoining Garrett Smith’s land containing 100 acres. And also the said Thomas Sanders deceased by deed bearing date 10 November 1728 did purchase from Joseph Pallussas and Mary his wife another tract called Littleworth being part of a tract called York containing 40 acres. Whereas the aforesaid Thomas Sanders deceased died intestate and whereby the land aforesaid became the estate and property of the aforesaid Edward Sanders eldest son of Thomas Sanders deceased. Edward Sanders for and in consideration for the natural love and affection he has for his brother Thomas Sanders and in consideration of the sum of 10 shillings sterling transfer the above property.

Book X 2 page 147 – 29 February 1743 – John Sanders Gent. to James Mudd both of Charles County for 11,400 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called Matthews that remains of 400 acres left me by my father Thomas Sanders containing 200 acres.

Book Z 2 page 109 – 5 July 1746 – William McPherson Jr. planter and Eleanor his wife to William Sanders planter for 18,000 pounds of tobacco a tract of land called Wilkinson’s Throne in Portobacco Parrish containing 250 acres adjoining the tract called Littleworth.

Book Z 2 page 338 – 27 February 1748 – Edward Sanders to Thomas Sanders for 100 pounds sterling part of a tract of land lying on Portobacco or Saint Thomas’ Creek called Cain’s Purchase containing 175 acres.

Book Z 2 page 339 – 8 April 1749 – Bond – Thomas Sanders is bound unto Edward Sanders in the sum of 400 pounds sterling money. The obligation is such that if the above bounded Thomas Sanders do and shall at any time after his wife Anne Sanders arrives to the age of twenty and one years make over transfer and convey by special warranted unto the said Edward Sanders 100 acres of land called Napping and 40 acres being part of the tract called York but now in the records as LittleWorth then the above obligation to be void.

Book Z 2 page 344 – 3 June 1749 – Edward Sanders son of Thomas Sanders deceased to Wheadon Wallace late of Virginia but now of Charles County for 40 pounds sterling two tracts of land one called Lindsey’s Purchase being on the north side of Potomack River and on the west side of Portobacco Creek containing 50 acres and the other tract called Edward’s Addition containing 37 ½ acres.

Book Z 2 page 364 – 20 September 1749 – Deed of Gift – I Edward Sanders for the natural love and brotherly affection that I have for my beloved brother Charles Sanders who is a minor and under the guardianship of Joseph Doyne I give my Negro boy named Tom.

Book Z 2 page 406 – 26 July 1750 – William Sanders to Peter Hunout for 5,200 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called Wilkinson’s Throne containing 52 acres. Rebecca Sanders wife of William acknowledges her dower rights.

Book A 1 page 66 – 1 December 1752 – Mortgage – I John Sanders in consideration of the natural love and affection that I have for my two children Ann & Mathew and in consideration of the sum of 10,000 pounds of tobacco discounted with me by Joseph Clements grandfather to the aforesaid Ann and Mathew also for divers other good causes and valuable considerations me thereunto especially moving. To Ann one negro girl named Sarah one cow and calf one Eau and lamb one feather bed and furniture and to Mathew after my decease one negro man named Harry and negro girl named Bess.

Book A 1 page 92 – 15 March 1753 – Joseph Clements to John Sanders of Mattawoman both of Charles County for 40,000 pounds of tobacco a tract of land being on the south side of Mattawoman Creek or St. Thomas Creek and being part of Christian Temple Manor containing 65 acres and also part of a tract of land called Woodstock Bower on the south side of Collier’s Branch and also a tract called Whitland on the south side of Collier’s Branch. The third tract of land to go to my grandson Mathew Sanders upon the decease of John Sanders.

Book A 1 page 113 – 10 May 1753 – John Sanders of Mattawoman Charles County and son and heir to John Sanders of Mattawoman deceased to Bayne Smallwood for 10,000 pounds of tobacco and that I am moving, a tract of land 100 acres being part of Christian Temple Manor and also a tract of land containing 50 acres lying on the south side of Gites’s or Collins Branch being part of a tract called Woodstock Bower formerly taken up by the aforesaid John Sanders deceased. Jane Sanders wife of John acknowledges her dower.

Book A 1 page 120 – 21 June 1753 – Priscilla Sanders widow to Thomas Sanders both of Charles County for 7,000 pounds of crop tobacco for her right of dower or one third part on a certain tract of land whereon her deceased husband Charles Sanders lately lived called by the name of part of Caines Purchase.

Book A 1 page 222 – 1754 – Joshua Sanders – page is unavailable and book ends at page 134.

Book A 1 page 322 – 1755 – William Sanders - page is unavailable and book ends at page 134.

Book G 3 page 50 – 13 November 1756 – Thomas Sanders planter to Walter Hanson merchant, witnesseth that whereas Priscilla Sanders widow and relict of Charles Sanders deceased did sell her one third dower to Thomas Sanders. Now is selling the part of Caines Purchase for 7,000 pounds of tobacco. Anne Sanders wife of Thomas acknowledges her right of dower.

Book G 3 page 79 – 25 May 1757 – Bennett Hanson Clements and John Sanders of Mattawoman planters to Bayne Smallwood for 12,000 pounds of crop tobacco one moiety or half part of a tract of land called Simpsons Supply lying on the south side of Piscattaway River in the area of Mattawoman on St. Thomas Creek adjoining Christian Semple Manor containing 100 acres.

Book G 3 page 98 – 5 August 1757 – William Sanders to Peter Harrout for 3,410 pounds of crop tobacco part of a tract of land called Wilkerson’s Throne containing 31 acres. Rebecca Sanders wife of William acknowledges her right of dower.

Book G 3 page 166 – 15 October 1757 – Thomas Sanders planter to Hugh Mitchel for 245 pounds sterling and 1,000 pounds crop tobacco part of a tract of land in Portobacco on St. Thomas Creek containing 170 acres being part of what Thomas bought from his brother Edward Sanders. The tract of land now being known as Caine’s Purchase. Ann wife of Thomas acknowledges her right of dower.

Book G 3 page 261 – 16 December 1758 – John Manning planter to William Sanders planter for 80 pounds current money for 100 acres of land being part of a tract called Saint Mathews laid off by the directions of the last will and testament of Thomas Sanders deceased. Near Piscattaway Road.

Book G 3 page 357 – 28 July 1759 – Joshua Sanders to Henry Davis for 14 pounds Virginia gold or silver currency part of a tract of land called Eatons Delight containing 40 acres.

Book G 3 page 361 – 8 August 1759 – Thomas Matthews Sanders to Bennett Hanson Clements both planters for 50 pounds sterling part of a tract of land called St. Matthews which was devised to the said Thomas Matthews Sanders by the last will and testament of Thomas Sanders father of the aforesaid Thomas Matthews Sanders containing 200 acres and also 80 acres near St. Matthews.

Book G 3 page 362 – 28 July 1759 – Joshua Sanders to Benjamin Gray for 54 pounds 4 shillings sterling of Great Britain part of a tract of land called Eaton’s Delight containing 160 acres.

Book L 3 page 258 – 19 February 1763 – Jacob Morris and Eleanor Sanders widow to Alexander McPherson for 100 acres part of a tract of land called Saint Matthews for 20 pounds current money and 1800 pounds of tobacco. Adjoining Joseph Nobles land that he purchased from John Sanders.

Book L 3 page 260 – 1762 – (badly damaged) Eleanor Sanders widow to Jacob Morris for 6,000 pounds of crop tobacco part of a tract of land called Saint Martha. (based on some of the verbiage Jacob is related to Eleanor).

Book L 3 page 349 – 25 May 1757 – Bennet Hanson Clements and John Sanders of Mattawoman planters to Bayne Smallwood for 12,000 pounds of crop tobacco containing 100 acres.

Book O 3 page 226 – 11 March 1767 – John Sanders and Matthew Sanders planters to Francis Roberson for 25 pounds currency part of a tract of land called Whitland adjoining the Main Road that leads from the head of Mattawoman and Chickamuxen containing 29 acres.

Book O 3 page 254 – 18 August 1767 – John Sanders and Matthew Sanders in Durham Parrish planters to Bayne Smallwood for 129 pounds ten shillings current money of Maryland part of a tract of land lying in Durham Parrish called Whitland containing 173 acres. Jane Sanders wife of John Sanders acknowledges her right of dower. (no mention of Matthew’s wife being interviewed).

Book V 3 page 224 – 7 June 1777 – Edward Sanders to Leonard Hamilton, that whereas by the last will and testament of Thomas Sanders deceased it was ordered that William Sanders the executor of the said deceased should lay out 100 acres from the tract called Saint Matthews to be sold and the money applied to the debts of the deceased. On 12 December 1742 the surveyor William Hanson on application of William Sanders did survey and lay out the 100 acres on the west side of Piscattaway Main Road. This land was then conveyed to John Manning and it was then purchased by the aforesaid William Sanders father to Edward Sanders who is now in possession of this land as heir at law to William Sanders. For 78 pounds 19 shillings and 6 pence common current money. Joshua Sanders is one of 2 witnesses and justice of the peace for this deed, the other being Walter Hanson.

Book V 3 page 379 – 5 July 1779 – John Brooke to Joshua Sanders Gent. and wife Ann Sanders for 682 pounds 10 shillings sterling money, during the natural life of said Ann part of 3 tracts of land joined together and known by the name Westwood Mannor, Charles Borough and Inlett containing 325 acres. Mary Brooke wife of John Brooke acknowledges dower.

Book V 3 page 501 – 18 July 1780 – Edward Boarman to Joshua Sanders planter for 2,025 pounds of crop tobacco part of a tract of land called Boarman’s Mannor on the east side of Zekiah Swamp adjoining a tract called Ann’s Delight now in the possession of Joshua Sanders containing 27 acres.

Book Z 3 page 81 – 31 July 1784 – Luke Woodard of Fauquier County Virginia to Joshua Sanders for 65 pounds current money part of a tract of land called Ann’s Delight being part of Boarman’s Mannor on the south side of Zekiah Swamp. (no mention of quantity or courses and distances in this deed)

Book Z 3 page 248 – 14 April 1786 – Release – Whereas Thomas Sanders deceased did on 1 January 1746 mortgage to William Sanders now deceased 2 tracts of land one called Napping containing 100 acres and one called Littleworth being part of York containing 40 acres and whereas the said Edward Sanders heir at law of the deceased William Sanders has this day by deed released to Thomas Sanders heir at law to the said deceased Thomas Sanders all his the said Edward Sanders right and title to the said mortgaged lands thereunto belonging to the said Thomas Sanders.

Book Z 3 page 291 – 3 April 1786 – Thomas Sanders Gent. to Ignatius Adams for 10,000 pounds of neat inspected tobacco and 80 pounds current money of Maryland two tracts of land which his father Thomas Sanders deceased mortgaged to William Sanders deceased called Napping containing 100 acres also other tract called Littleworth part of York containing 40 acres.

Book D 4 page 294 – 22 December 1777 but not recorded until 28 May 1788 – an agreement was entered into by Henry Digges Sr. and Edward Sanders concerning the purchase of a tract of land called Wilkinson’s Throne the property of Edward Sanders which Digges agreed to pay 35 shillings sterling per acre and whereas Henry Digges has gone to the court of chancery to compel Edward to convey the land in fee simple. The chancery is yet undetermined but Henry and Edward have reached a compromise. The above mentioned agreement is now null and void and Edward Sanders will now take in possession of his former land and Henry Digges to pay Edward 5,000 pounds of crop tobacco and also to convey to him a negro girl aged about 14 on account of the former use and occupation of the said land. It is agreed that the suit at chancery shall be struck off at the next term each party paying his own costs.

Book D 4 page 369 – 5 December 1788 – Deed of Gift – I John Sanders for the natural love and affection that I have for my son-in-law Richard Wheeler and Mary Ann his wife one negro girl named Milly about 3 years old and her increase except the first child that Milly may have which I do by these presents give unto my daughter Ann Hariot Sanders.

Book D 4 page 383 – 14 November 1788 – John Sanders planter to Edward Sanders planter for 98 pounds current money part of the tract called Caine’s Purchase containing 37 acres 1 rod and 20 perches.

Book D 4 page 440 – 9 April 1789 – Bill of Sale – Benedict Sanders to William Atchison for 10 shillings current money one negroe man named Ben aged about 25 years.

Book K 4 page 138 – 20 August 1790 – Hoskins Hanson to Edward Sanders for 262 pounds 10 shillings current money of Maryland part of Caine’s Purchase on the west side of Port Tobacco Creek and being the same land that was willed to Catherine Miller by her father Hugh Mitchell deceased which she conveyed to Hoskins Hanson containing 100 acres.

Book D 4 page 637 – 11 September 1789 – John Sanders Esquire late one of the Coroners of Charles County to William Kelty agent on behalf of the state of Maryland. Whereas the state of Maryland to satisfy a judgment obtained in the general court for the Western Shore at October term 1786 against Francis Ware one of the securities of Charles Mankin formerly a collector of the taxes in Charles County for the sum of 14,000 pounds current money and 533 pounds of tobacco costs. The writ from the court directed John Sanders to attach and levy against the following property; a tract of land called Hawkin’s Barrens containing 115 acres, part of Lickomi containing 225 acres, part of Come by Chance containing 60 acres, negroes Basil and Margaret and sundry other goods and chattels. John Sanders was then directed to sell all the goods lands and chattels and William Kelty became the purchaser on behalf of the state of Maryland. This was done by an Act of Assembly entitled Empower the Governor and Council to compound with the discoverers of British property.

Book K 4 page 410 – 9 March 1792 – Deed of Trust - John Sanders planter to Alexander Hamilton of Prince Georges County on behalf of 7 other partners of John Glassford and company for 5 shillings and also 43 pounds 6 shillings 8 pence current money the following parcel of land, negroes and stock; part of Caine’s Purchase lying on Portobacco Creek containing 112 and 3/4 acres, 1 negroe man named Jesse aged about 36, 1 negroe woman named Sarah about 40 years, 1 negroe woman named Monica aged 19 years, 1 negroe boy Nace aged 4 years and the son of Sarah, 1 negroe boy named Charles the son of Monica aged 2 years, 3 cows and 3 calves, 1 cow with calf, 2 oxen about 8 years old, 3 yearlings, 3 sows and 12 shoats, 1 mare about 7 years old, 1 mare colt her daughter about 2 years old, 1 mouse colored horse about 11 years old, 1 iron grey horse about 10 years old and 1 bay horse about 13 years old and their increase.

Book N 4 page 139 – 14 September 1793 – Thomas Sanders and Catherine his wife as executors of the last will and testament of Thomas Shircliff deceased to Nathaniel Freeman. Whereas Thomas Shircliff did in his will devised unto his daughter Catherine Shircliff all the land he then possessed so long as she lived single and unmarried, if she were to marry then the lands to be sold and the money to be divided between his 4 daughters; Ann Shurburne, Mary Clements, Martha Dant and Catherine Shircliff. One tract called Reeve’s Range containing 100 acres and the other tract the Addition containing 64 acres for 164 pounds current money.

Book N 4 page 446 – 22 August 1795 – Edward Saunders to Michael Jenifer Stone for 266 pounds 18 shillings 8 pence current money part of Wilkerson’s Throne containing 165 and 3/4 acres.

Book IB 2 page 300 – 26 January 1798 – Alexander Hamilton of Prince Georges County to Edward Sanders, whereas a certain John Sanders did convey unto Alexander Hamilton a certain part of a tract of land called Caine’s Purchase containing 122 and 3/4 acres. The land went at public sale and Edward Sanders was the highest bidder at 186 pounds 9 pence current money lying on Portobacco Creek.

Book IB 3 page 132 – 14 January 1800 – Ann Sanders, Edward Sanders and Henrietta Sanders his wife, Charles Wheeler, Zachariah Green and Elizabeth Green his wife and Raphael Wheeler to William Wheeler for 410 pounds current money of Maryland part of a tract of land called Planter’s Delight which belonged to Clement Wheeler deceased which was devised to him by his father Luke Wheeler last will and testament done 30 November 1740. Henrietta Sanders is the wife of Edward Sanders. Land descended from Clement Wheeler deceased to his children Ann Sanders, Teresa Simmes, Henrietta Sanders, Charles Wheeler, Elizabeth Green, Raphael Wheeler and Bennet Wheeler, children of said Clement and to John, Clement, and Ignatius Wheeler grand children of said Clement by his son Ignatius deceased, and the said John, Clement and Ignatius are minors and cannot convey their right being one eighth part and whereas Bennet Wheeler has not conveyed his right to the same living now on the eastern shore of Maryland and whereas Teresa Simmes is now with her husband Thomas Simmes in the state of Georgia.

Charles County Land Surveys/Patents:

1689 – Matthew Sanders – Sanders Pleasure – 164 acres
1719 – John Sanders – Christian Temple Manor
1722 – John Sanders – Woodstock Bower – 200 acres
1734 – William Sanders – Hazard – 250 acres
1735 – Thomas Saunders – Cow Branch – 176 acres
1741 – William Sanders – Eaton’s Delight – 200 acres – in Wiliam’s name due to Joshua Sanders being yet a minor.
1743 – William Saunders – Saunders Addition – 25 acres
1743 – Thomas Matthew Saunders – Cow Branch – 205 acres (document lists Henrietta and Sarah Saunders as daughters to Thomas Sanders and Eleanor Sanders (Eleanor is abbreviated Eli with a raised r after the i)
1758 – Thomas Sanders – Twelfth Tide – 74 acres
1758 – Edward Sanders – Edward’s Addition – 37 1/2 acres

Re: Early Maryland Records (1648-1801 Kent County)

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 1:02PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2011 1:23PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Saunders
Sanders found in Kent Co., Maryland Deed Books (1648 - 1801)(the date given if available was the date of the agreement and not its recorded date)(all Sanders parties were from Kent County unless otherwise specified)

Book JS W page 256 – 12 July 1722 – Phillip Holeadger and Jane his wife to George Sanders for 100 pounds sterling a tract of land called Pryor’s Neglect lying on the south side of Sassafras River and adjoining Swan Creek containing 350 acres.

Book JS W page 268 – 1 July 1722 – George Sanders to Edward Mitchell for 1,000 pounds of tobacco part of a tract of land called Cox’s Foal lying on the south side of Sassafras River adjoining Swan Creek containing 50 acres. Selenea Sanders wife of George relinquishes her right of dower.

Book JS W page 270 – 17 September 1722 – George Sanders planter and Selenea his wife to Edward Mitchell for 2,300 pounds of tobacco a tract of land called Pryor’s Neglect lying on the south side of Sassafras River beginning at the mouth of Swan Creek containing 40 acres.

Book JS 16 page 37 – 17 March 1729 - Thomas Sanders petitioned the justices of Kent County to examine the boundaries for a tract of land called Pryor’s Neglect now in possession of Thomas Sanders. The deposition of Thomas Sanders planter aged 60 years on 15 May 1830 swore on the Holy Evangelists of Almighty God that in the year 1702 William Sanders and this deponent were going from the Sanders’ plantation at the head of Swan Creek and William Sanders showed him a bounded tree standing in a small valley which runs down to the main road. It reads as though one of the original bounded trees no longer exist to mark one of the boundary points.(too bad it doesn’t state the relationship between William, George & Thomas).

Book JS 23 page 429 – 27 May 1742 – Thomas Sanders and Mary his wife to William Sanders for 100 pounds current money of Maryland all their right to a parcel of land it being part of a tract of land called Pryor’s Neglect containing 100 acres.

Book DD 4 page 330 – 15 April 1774 – William Carmon son and heir of Mica Carmon to Thomas Sanders for 178 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence current lawful money of Pennsylvania a parcel of land being part of Mitchell’s Chance on the head of Swan Creek and Sassafras River containing 57 acres and one sixth part of an acre.

Book BC 3 page 1 – 25 January 1790 - Abraham Sanders and Margaret his wife quit claim over to Thomas Empson and his wife Sarah all the parts of following tracts of land; part of Rich Level, part of Wilmer’s Chance and part of Adventure adjoining Herring Branch containing 116 and one half acres (no mention of money changing hands).

Book BC 3 page 313 – 2 April 1792 - Thomas Empson and his wife Sarah quit claim over to Abraham Sanders and Margaret his wife part of a tract of land called Rich Level along the Herring Branch containing 116 and one half acres. (appears to be the same property and no mention of money changing hands).

Book TW 1 page 411 – 4 February 1800 – Thomas Sanders and Ebenezer Sanders, sons of Thomas Sanders deceased, to James Pearce for 250 pounds current money part of a tract of land called Mitchell’s Chance, it being the same land Thomas Sanders left his son Thomas by his last will containing 50 acres.

Book TW 1 page 522 – 26 January 1801 – Thomas Sanders, son of Thomas Sanders deceased, to James Pearce for 200 pounds current money part of a tract called Mitchell’s Chance left me by my deceased father Thomas Sanders by his last will situated between Pryor’s Neglect, that Pearce purchased of my brother Ebenezer Sanders, and the Mill Pond containing 50 acres.

Patents / Land Grants for Kent County:

1683 – 150 acres – The Hopewell Unity – Howell, John, Charles James, J. Frisby, G. Wardner, J. Hopkins, W. Perce, W. Pullen, E. Blackestein, B. Guury, E. Blay, R. Saunders and John James.

1685 – 100 acres – Saunders Addition – Saunders, William

1716 – 725 acres – Addition to Freith Land – Coole, Benjamin, George Whitehead, Abraham Lloyd, Richard Stafford, William Doune, John Sanders, Charles Harford

1751 – 120 acres – Bostick Addition – Saunders Bostick (last name is Bostick)

1754 – 120 acres – Bosticks Addition – Bostick, Sanders

May 20 1771 – 1 3/4 acres - Johns Lott – Sanders, John

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions