Search for content in message boards

Jefferson Davis's mother's family

Jefferson Davis's mother's family

Bill Pearman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2000 12:19PM GMT
Looking for information on family of Jane (Simpson)Cook, mother of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy.

Have info stating that Jefferson Davis and my ggggrandfather, Sebert Pearman, were first cousins. Have traveled to Kentucky, Georgia, and Mississippi over last ten years trying to prove or disprove this.

Found out that Samuel Emory Davis, Jeffersons father, was an only child so it could not come from his side. For this to e true then, one of Jane Cook's brothers or sisters had to marry a Pearman related to Sebert and possibly Randall Pearman.

Can anyone provide me lead on where I can find this information. Jane Cook born c. 1760.

Thanks

Jane Simpson Cook

Posted: 23 Dec 2000 8:00AM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2002 12:18AM GMT
I have a book written by Hary A Davis, titled
"The Davis Family (DAVIES and DAVID) In Wales
and America", published in 1927 that lists
her as wife of Samuel Emory Davis but does
not really answer your search in the book.
Mr. Davis book indicates Jane Simpson Cook
was dau of William Cook, of 96, later
Edgefield District, SC, born the latter part
of the year of 1759 in North Carolina and
whom he had met during her residence in
Wilkes Co, GA. Her brothers and sisters as
listed by Mr. Davis were: William, Elizabeth,
John and Naomi.

Jane Simpson Cook

Posted: 23 Dec 2000 11:35AM GMT
Thomas

Thanks very much. This will certainly help me narrow down my search. The only way Jefferson Davis and my gggf could be first cousins was for one of Jane Cook's brothers or sisters to marry a Pearman. Now I just have to search for her four brothers and sisters and try to find out who they married. Have been trying to prove or disprove this for past 10 years. Thanks again
Posted: 31 Dec 2000 4:31PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2001 5:16AM GMT
I'm searching for my ggrandmothers' people. I have the name of John Peerman (I don't know if I have the correct spelling), but he was from Tennessee and was the father of my ggrandmother Martha Jane (Peerman) Patton. I have the maternal side of Martha Jane's ancestors but I can't find anything on John Peerman...
Dean Alley

John Peerman

Posted: 2 Jan 2001 6:37PM GMT
Dean,
Sorry, nothing in my recores on Pearmans in Tennessee. The ones I know about were Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and Georgia.

Re: Pearman

Bruce Pearman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2001 10:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
What period of time are you referring to in your search for John Peerman ? I have an ancestor, John Pleasant Pearman who was the father of a female (All we have are the initials M. J.) in the 1850 Census of North Carolina. She disappears in the 1860 Census, (we assume she married and from Rockingham County, NC to Tennessee would not be a far stretch). If this sounds like your relative, please feel free to respond to my E-mail address.

Re: Pearman

Posted: 25 Aug 2002 6:28AM GMT
Surnames: Pearman, Benton
Mary Jane Pearman did indeed get married after the 1850 census. Her last name is listed on the marriage bond as "Pierman" to a James M. Benton on April 4, 1855 in Rockingham County, NC. She had five children with this husband. Something happened after that and I haven't been able to determine what it was. She reappears in the 1870 Census report for Rockingham County, NC living right next door to Pleasant Pearman (Her Father), but she is missing her husband and two oldest children ?? If anyone has information about what happened to James Benton and his two oldest children, please let me know.

Re: Jefferson Davis's mother's family

carol adams (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2003 3:54AM GMT
Surnames: Davis/Fowler/Simpson/Roach
SC NC TN MI
Davis/ Fowler/Simpson/Roach
l805 SC to l880 Cocke Co, Tn to
l895 Knoxville.Carol Adams
Blisshouse@webtv.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions