Search for content in message boards

COFFEE/COFFEY

COFFEE/COFFEY

Sarah (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2001 9:23AM GMT
Looking for any info on the COFFEE/COFFEY family in Ireland.

Coffee family of Ireland

Posted: 5 Jan 2001 6:25AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:28AM GMT
Dear Sarah,

You didn't mention in your question posted on the FamilyHistory message board where your Coffee ancestors may have come from in Ireland.

But see the entry below about the name. The information is taken from a book by Edward MacLysaght entitled "Irish Families: Their Names, Arms And Origins."

Sincerely,

Dave Boylan
O)Coffey, Cowhig
In Irish this name is O Cobhthaigh, pronounced O'Coffey as in English: it is probably derived from the word cobhtach, meaning victorious. Coffey is one of those surnames which have not resumed the prefix O, dropped during the period of Gaelic submergence. Several distinct septs were prominent in mediaeval times, of which two are still well represented in their original homeland. These are O'Coffey or Corcalaoidhe in south-west Co. Cork, where local pronunciation often makes the name Cowhig or Cowhey, as in the place name Dunocowhey, called after them. This sept is of the same stock as the O'Driscolls. A second minor sept was a branch of the O'Maddens of Ui Maine, whose descendants are fund to-day in Co. Roscommon. A third, once of considerable importance but now scattered, belonged to Co. Westmeath where they were famous as a bardic family. The most distinguished of these was Dermot O'Coffey (fl. 1580), the Gaelic poet. Six other poets of this family are represented in Gaelic literature. In more recent times the Leinster Coffeys are represented by Charles Coffey (1700-1745), dramatist and actor, the first to introduce Irish airs in a play. George Coffey (1857-1916), the archaeologist, though his family has long associations with Dublin, was descended from the Munster sept. The place-name Rathcoffey occurs both in Co. Kildare and Co. Leix.

Re: COFFEE/COFFEY

Brenda Edman (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2001 9:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffey, Sullivan, Lavelle
Looking for information on Margaret Coffey, married Roger Sullivan. Possibly seven children in family but only have names of five: Bridget, Hannah, Mary, Roger and Matthew.
At time of Bridget's birth (May 1899) this family was living in Coolcummisk Ireland.

Re: COFFEE/COFFEY

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 8:47PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jun 2003 8:31PM GMT
I am struggling with my coffey part of the family tree and if anybody help I would be greatful,

My Grandfather was Richard Coffey born 1877 in England and I was told that he had an Irish father.

He lived all his life in the Manchester area.

From my research I have deduced that his parents were either

Catherine born approx. 1840/1850 Kilkenny Ireland
and Michael Coffey born approx 1840/50 Roscommon Ireland

or

John and Teresa Coffey both born about 1850
John was born in Ireland part unknown and Teresa was born in Lancashire.

I am having difficulty working out which of these 2 are Richards parents.

any help out there would be much appreciated

Re: Coffee family of Ireland

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 8:11PM GMT
Roscommon. I also know that my family came over from Ireland during the Potato Famine. I dont know if that helps.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Coffey, OCobthaigh
I believe I am of the West Meath clan of bardic Coffey's. I'm not for sure, but it's a possibility. I can't wait to find out for sure, though.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Coffey, OCobthaigh
I believe I am of the West Meath clan of bardic Coffey's. I'm not for sure, but it's a possibility. I can't wait to find out for sure, though.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic