Search for content in message boards

Help, looking for Ira Shirley Descendents!

Help, looking for Ira Shirley Descendents!

Posted: 22 Oct 2006 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shirley, Cooper, Harris
Looking for anyone with info on IRA SHIRLEY, son of Daniel Edward Shirley and Mary or Martha Elizabeth Harris.

Ira married Edna Kimberlin, they had four children in which two of those children were twin boys.

Ira is reported to have died in 1998 possibly in New Mexico.

Ira is the grandson of John Shirley and Temperence Cooper

Ira's siblings are as follows:

Gertie Mae Shirley, b: abt 1902
d: 1928 in Marshall, Texas

Lizzie Shirley, b: 1902-1916
d: as a teenager in Oklahoma

James Isom Shirley, b: 3 Feb 1907 (Oklahoma)
d: 10 Dec 1940 (Arizona)

Otis Lee Shirley, b: 27 Sept 1950 (Oklahoma)
d: 28 Apr 1950 (Oregon)

Mary Frances Shirley, b: abt 1912 (Oklahoma)
d: abt 1918 (Oklahoma)

I have been told that one of Ira's daughters has a family bible the once belonged to James Isom Shirley with names and dates in it and I am desperate to find her. I only wish to ask about the names in the family bible, but I do not know her name, only that she lives in California. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Help, looking for Ira Shirley Descendents!

Posted: 23 Oct 2006 6:36PM GMT
Tina, you didn't mention when Ira SHIRLEY was born; however, I found the family indexed for the 1920 census (Kiamichi, Pushmataha, Oklahoma) and see that he was born circa 1915 in OK.

Having the birth year (or approximation) is helpful in confirming a probable match in the Social Security Death Index. No Ira SHIRLEYs are indexed with birth year 1914-1915-1916, but two are indexed with birth year 1913:

Ira N. Shirley 21 Jun 1913 16 Dec 1992 Panorama City, Los Angeles, California [This individual may have been born in Arkansas, per a possible match in WWII draft cards.]

Ira Shirley 23 Mar 1913 16 Dec 1993 Calhoun, Gordon, Georgia

Some directories and the US Public Records index show an Ira SHIRLEY of the correct age resided in Farmington, NM. You might contact the appropriate county's

An Edna SHIRLEY of Farminton, NM, is mentioned in the following KIMBERLIN obituary.

Calvin C. Kimberlin

KIMBERLIN, CALVIN C., 81, of Irving, died Jan 25, 2005 at an Irving nursing center. Born Oct 11, 1923 in Princeton, Texas, he retired from Sam's Club in Dallas after fifteen years. Preceded in death by his wife, Geneva Kimberlin in 1992. Survivors include daughter, Carolyn Speake and husband Jim of Euless; son, Clifford Kimberlin and wife Sandra; son, Johnny Kimberlin and wife Kay, all of Irving; sisters, Edna Shirley of Farmington, NM and Ira Powell of Prideville, OR; six grandchildren and one great granddaughter. The family will receive friends 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Thursday at the funeral home. Service 1:00 p.m., Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at Donnelly's Colonial Funeral Home Chapel. Rev. J. D. Alexander officiating. Burial to follow at Oak Grove Memorial Gardens in Irving. Donnelly's Colonial Funeral Home 606 W. Airport Frwy. (972) 579-1313 www.donnellyscolonial.com
Published in the Dallas Morning News on 1/27/2005.

Tina Tirrell (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2006 7:55PM GMT
Mary,

Thank you for answering my query. I already have the items that you mentioned, plus alot more. The SSDI Records that you have posted are not my Ira Shirley.

I have attempted contact with Edna Shirley in New Mexico many times and have received no response. I was hoping one of their children would respond instead.

We do know that Ira is buried in Farmington, NM and that he died there. Ira was born 18 Mar 1914 in Arkansas or possibly Oklahoma.

I appreciate all of your help!

Posted: 24 Oct 2010 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Shirley, Kimberlin
Hi, Tina.

This reply is a few years late, but I just happened to come across your original query. Edna (Maiden name: Kimberlin) Shirley is my great aunt and a wonderful, sassy lady. :) She does live in New Mexico with one of her surviving daughters, Pamela, and we think the other, Angela, lives in California. They also had twin sons, who are both deceased, both from diabetes-related illnesses.

Ira Shirley is deceased, several years ago. I would have to dig through my records to try and find dates.

I can get my mom to call Edna if you still need specific information. I think she talked to her this past summer. We're not in contact too often, but they do keep in touch. My grandmother, Martha Kimberlin (Edna's sister-in-law) died last December, so we talked then, too.

Hope I can help,
Kristina Kimberlin

Posted: 13 Nov 2010 11:20AM GMT
Thanks for answering my query!

Desperating seeking info on Ira's grandparents and supposedly the daughter in California has the family bible that has the names.

I just would like to know the names so that I can further my research. I've been stuck on John Shirley for years and have not come up with anything new.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic