Search for content in message boards

Sappony Creek

Sappony Creek

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 1:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone tell me where Sappony Creek is in Dinwiddie Co.?
Thanks Marty Restivo congen1993@gmail.com

Re: Sappony Creek

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 1:50PM GMT
I don't know the area at all but when I googled Sappony Creek, Dinwiddie Co., VA and checked the page for National Register of Historic places in Dinwiddie Co. VA it brought up Sappony Church S of Sappony Creek off VA 692 in City or town of McKenney, and gives latitude and longitude coordinates. Maybe this will help.

Nancy Smith

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 11:42PM GMT
Thanks

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 11:23PM GMT
Hello

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 7:46PM GMT
my family lived on sappony street on pocahontas island in dinwiddie which is now part of petersburg. it was the largest settlement of free black people in the united states and the archaeological evidence in that place dates back 6.5 million years. the island was given to pocahontas and john rolfe's son by pocahontas' father chief powhatan. he told his grandson he could do whatever he wanted with it and his choice was to open it up for residence and business enterprise among free black people. it is a very rich history associated with black people being proud of a community of their own. in fact, petersburg/dinwiddie was the inspiration for free black communities all over the united states. even harlem and other northern cities took their cue from pocahontas island. it still stands today. there is a street there called sappony.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic