Search for content in message boards

TOWNSHIP OF RIVES

TOWNSHIP OF RIVES

Posted: 21 Jun 2008 1:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am doing some family research and have relatives that lived in RIVES, Prince George County, VA. According to the census the family lived there from 1860 until 1930. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE RIVES IS IN PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY. Is the township still there? WHAT CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT RIVES.
Does anyone have any ideas about whom I can contact to find out about Rives.
All help greatly appreciated
Thankyou!!
Linda Oviatt
Great Falls Montana

Re: TOWNSHIP OF RIVES

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 3:44PM GMT
Rives is a district for Prince George County and is used for voting and other county business. Virginia doesn't have townships and this district is not very historically relevant. It is adjacent and south/ southeast of City of Petersburg. The road Rives Road Petersburg, VA is within the Rives District and is the only other thing currently names Rives.

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 10:35PM GMT
Thank you for the information.
Do you know if there is a cemetery in the area of Rives? All these relatives (they are in the "Lee" family)lived in this area and died in the area so they had to be buried there. Does a county office have control of these cemeteries - if there are any - that I can get in contact with to find out when some of the relatives died and where they are buried. Or is there any books with the names of the cemeteried and who is buried there in Prince george county? Do they have a Historical Society or a Genealogy Society in Prince George County?
Thank you for any information you can give me.
I live in Montana so I live a great distance from Virginia.
Linda Oviatt

Posted: 10 Jul 2008 3:00AM GMT
Linda: You probably are aware of the book, Reliques of the Rives. If not, try to find it. (Think I ordered a copy from Border's. Might check Amazon.com, also.) Think there is a Blandford Cemetery in or near Petersburg. (The Rives came from Blandford Forum, Dorset, England) I'm checking Rives of Petersburg also. Hope this helps you. saa

Posted: 11 Jul 2008 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: lee
There isn't a genealogical society for PG but there is a new historical society but not sure the help that will be. There are many church cemeteries and Blandford is the largest and one of the oldest in the area. The best bet is the Virginia Library and census records. PG County (http://www.princegeorgeva.org/Index.aspx?page=38) doesn't have much before the Civil War as it was burned as many in the area were.

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Collings
My Collings relatives were living in Rives, Prince George, Virginia during the 1880 Census. From what I can tell, it was just south of Petersburg...maybe a township or unincorporated area.

George Collings
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions