Search for content in message boards

Parentage of Daniel Lane b. 1725 d. ca. 1800

Parentage of Daniel Lane b. 1725 d. ca. 1800

Posted: 5 Sep 2010 11:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LANE, YANCEY, DUMAS, DRURY, NEWSOM, BARTLETT, FOUNTAIN
EUREKA!

Many people are wondering as to the parentage (and birth location) of Daniel Lane (1725-1800), father of Richard Lane (b. about 20 Jan 1760 in Goochland County, d. Spotsylvania).

As you know, Richard Lane m. Sarah Yancey, grand-daughter of Charles YANCEY and Miss BARTLETT.

I was working on (what I thought was) a completely different Lane family line, that of William Sandidge Lane, who is great-great-grandson of Thomas LANE and Jane FLOOD, and great-grandson of Thomas LANE and Mary NEWSOM or Mary DRURY).

William Sandidge Lane (1781-1866) is also the great-grandson of a Jeremiah Dumas, who married a Unity Smith. They had a daughter, Temperance Dumas (b. 1711) who married Robert Yancey, who is the son of the aforementioned Charles YANCEY and Miss BARTLETT! (Richard Lane's wife's grandparents.)

So Richard Lane, son of our mysterious Daniel Lane, was brother-in-law of this Temperance (Dumas) Yancey. Temperance DUMAS just so happens to be the great-aunt of William Sandidge LANE.

It seems to me that William Sandidge LANE and Fountain H LANE (1794-1872) are second cousins.

I believe that William S. Lane is son of Littleberry Lane, son of Edward Lane (who m. Elizabeth Dumas), son of Thomas Lane (who m. Mary Newsom or Mary Drury), son of Thomas Lane and Jane Flood.

And I believe that Fountain H Lane is son of Richard Lane, son of DANIEL LANE (who m. Ann Fountain and Margaret Turner), son of Thomas Lane (who m. Mary Newsom or Mary Drury), son of Thomas Lane and Jane Flood.

I also have absolutely no doubt that Daniel Lane was indeed married to an Ann Fountain from whom my -other- Lane family descends, given the surname has been passed down.

It seems to me that the connections between the YANCEY, LANE, and DUMAS families must have happened in Goochland, Louisa, and/or Spotsylvania counties.

Thoughts? Questions? Anyone wish to see the pedigrees of particular individuals for better visualization?

Re: Parentage of Daniel Lane b. 1725 d. ca. 1800

Posted: 5 Sep 2010 1:21PM GMT
Jany. 23, 1793. Edwd. Hyde & Co. to Daniel LANE. £140 curr. 200a., part of tract purchased of Robert Young in Berkely Par., Spots. Co., etc., etc. John Andrew, John Purcell, Austin SANDIDGE. March 5, 1793. --------- Austin Sandidge is the first cousin of Daniel's sister-in-law (his brother's wife). The Sandidge Family, before residing in Spotsylvania, resided in New Kent, where some researchers believe Daniel Lane was born. It seems to me that the Lane, Sandidge, Dumas, and Yancey families were close. Difference is, my Daniel Lane most definitely married an Ann Fountaine. I can't help but wonder if there are two Daniel Lanes floating around. One may indeed be from Ireland and married a Margaret Turner but the father of my Richard Lane does not seem to be that one.

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 6:53AM GMT
I must make a correction. The Daniel Lane I was researching I thought may have married Margaret Ann Turner, but this is not correct. There is another Daniel Lane in the area who married Margaret Turner. Perhaps that is the Daniel Lane of Irish descent.

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 2:34AM GMT
Hi,
I hope this makes some sense.

I'm a direct descendant of the "Scotch-Irish" Daniel Lane who was married to Margaret Turner. I've been doing alot of research on this line of Lane's from Hanover County, Va. and I have come to the conclusion that their were 2 different Daniel Lane's in that area.

The first Daniel Lane from my line, was father of James, Garland, Turner, Gilman, and I believe Richard as well. They lived in Hanover County, Va, I found a period article about one of Richard Lane's grandsons that states "On the paternal side Dr. (Albert) Lane comes of protestant scotch-irish stock." I also found a reference that Fountain H. Lane (father of the above Albert) had a brother Daniel, who moved to Kentucky. So if thats the case Richard Lane had a daughter named Margaret and a son named Daniel. I can send you the links.

The second Daniel Lane, I believe was the son of William Lane b.1705 who married Anne Crews and was an ardent quaker. This William Lane was a brother of Thomas Lane Jr. b.1715 who married Ann Garrett. There are many land deeds in the upper Louisa/Spotsylvania associated with William Lane, Edward Lane, Dumas Lane, and Thomas Lane Jr.

The Daniel Lane that witnessed a deed with Thomas Jr. in 1767 I believe is this Daniel, son of William. not my "Scotch-Irish" Daniel. He is also the same Daniel I believe was married to "Ann" who bought land in the same area as Thomas, Edward, and Dumas. This Daniel and his family was in Guilford County NC by 1790 with his father William, and other brothers.

I have submitted a DNA sample at Family Tree DNA which certainly shows that my line is of Scotch-Irish ancestory. A descendant of Dumas Lane from Thomas Lane's line also submitted a sample and there is no relation at all.

I have alot more info I'd love to share with you.

Chris Lane
cjl315@comcast.net

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 1:49AM GMT
the General Store at Frederick Hall 1756 ledger in Virginia shows there were two Daniel Lane in the area. One was a carpenter and one was a miller.+

Posted: 14 Apr 2011 4:49AM GMT
And now it is time for me to admit I was wrong! I was able to tract down a known Lane descendant of Richard Lane, son of Daniel Lane. They agreed to take the DNA test at Family Tree DNA and after a few weeks the results came in...Not a match...so there were in fact 2 Daniel Lane's in Hanover County, Va. at that time.

My Daniel, father of James, Garland, and Turner was not related to the Daniel Lane who was father of Richard and Gilman Lane. My Daniel was most likely the "carpenter" listed in the Fredericks Hall record. So I would like to eat my humble pie now. LOL!

Chris Lane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions