Search for content in message boards

Sollien, Vennesla

Sollien, Vennesla

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 2:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stenersen
My great grandfather Aanen Stenersen is listed in the 1900 census on the Sollien farm in Vennesla with his wife and five children. I can't find much information about this farm anywhere. I understand he was a "maker of watchers and clocks" but have little information to go on from there.

Kristin

Re: Sollien, Vennesla

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:02AM GMT
Vennesla is located in Vest-Agder, not Akershus. What exactly are you looking for?

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:07AM GMT
Here they are in the 1910 census, where he is working in a paper factory.

Data on domicile:
Census year: 1910
Municipality: Vennesla
Municipality number: 1014
Name of domicile: Sollien
Number of persons in this domicile: 5
Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity
Aanen Steners. hf g Arbeider paa papirfabrik 07.10.1868 Hægebostad
Selle Gurine Steners. hm g Arbeiderhustru 07.11.1864 t
Inger Steners. d ug Datter hjælper til i (huset) 30.03.1896 t
Olga Steners. d ug Datter 18.06.1899 t
Stener Steners. s ug Søn 14.07.1901 t
Norwegian Historical Data Centre (NHDC)
The Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Tromsø N-9037 Tromsø, NORWAY
Updated: November 10th 2004

But Vennesla is not in Akershus.

Birth of Aanen Stenersen

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:19AM GMT
Born 6 Dec 1867 in Hægeebostad, Vest-Agder
Aanon
Father: Stener Aanonsen
Mother: Oline Olsdatter
Residence: Birkeland

Kildeinformasjon: Vest-Agder fylke, Hægebostad i Hægebostad, Ministerialbok nr. A 5 (1864-1886), Fødte og døpte 1868, side 7.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6205&i...

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:16PM GMT
I have letters that discuss my Great Grandfather Aanen dealing with gypsies with his "jewelry store or clock/watch business". My grandmother and mother returned to Norway and they discuss the area where their home used to be but they don't specifically state the town or area. All I know is the last census where Aanen and Sella were living which I think states that they were living on the farm Sollien (Gard?). I do not understand Norwegian and have to rely on the Internet translation.

Perhaps it is not the same farm or I have not interpreted the Census correctly.

Kristin

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:21PM GMT
Yes, I noticed this census as well and decided that he must have left his clock/watch/jewelry business by that time. My mother was given a clock which was the last thing remaining from the store that my GGrandfather Aanen supposedly earned his keep. Unfortunately, we have two very different clocks - neither of which have any markings on them and I don't know if either of them isthat particular clock. I was hoping to narrow down the area of Norway that the store/business might have been located in by following the 1900 Census where he is listed as a cattle seller and maker of watches on Sollien.

Kristin

1900 Census

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:27PM GMT
Here is the 1900 census you mention:

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

the farm Sollien is in Vest-Agder. He is not listed as a clock maker - but as a clock merchant.

Re: 1900 Census

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 3:37PM GMT
That makes me feel better, given the quality of the clocks! Thank you for putting so much time into this search.

Kristin

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 4:51PM GMT
There is a message board for Vest Agder, where this took place. You may have better luck asking for help on that message board, which may likely be followed by people with more local knowledge there.

Posted: 3 Sep 2013 12:48PM GMT
Thank you for letting me know this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions