Search for content in message boards

Everything Jett

Everything Jett

Ernest Jett (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2005 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Now that I am unable to travel as much as I formerly did in the unending quest for Jetts, I have found myself relying on the computer for information concerning the Jett family and name. As an example I have found that there are several towns bearing that name, such as Jett, Kentucky, Jet Oklahoma, Also, there are several Rock Musicians out there who are either Jett descendants or have found the Jett name as a non -de-plume. Example, Joan Jett, Jett Williams.
There are several Jett Buildings in cities like Fort Worth, Biloxi MS. Also, Jett Halls on several University Campuses. Numerous Cemeteries or Grave yards, such as Jett Cemetery in Orange, TX. There is a Jett Island in Northumberland County, VA and numerous Jett Lakes and Jett Creeks. There is a Jett Mountain and a Jett Canyon in Arizona. Also, a Jett Prairie in Illinois. There are several past and present members of Congress along with Sheriffs, Tax Collectors, and other well known politicians named Jett. There is one astronaut, one former U.S. Consul, and many College Professors as well as many ministers . I have found that there are dogs, cats, horses, and other animals bearing this name. Last, but hopefully not least, there are numerous genealogists researching the name.

I am starting another file called Jett Nuggets and Trivia for information of this sort. I would appreciate and items you would like to submit. Thanks, Ernie Jett

Re: Everything Jett

Posted: 18 Aug 2005 10:10PM GMT
Hi, Ernie

I live in Stafford County, Virginia, where we have a Jett Drive, a Jett Street, a Jett Cemetery, and our current sheriff is Charles Jett - there is a Jett Creek in neighboring King George County. As a matter of fact, finding so many Jetts when I moved here was what got me started researching my family -

Posted: 20 Aug 2005 6:21AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2006 4:09PM GMT
Jett's Prairie in Bond Co., IL apparently became a town and had a post office as well.

"Jett, formerly Jett's Prairie, had a postal facility from 1893 to 1894." - http://www.greenvilleusa.org/akeith/towns.htm

Posted: 11 Dec 2005 2:09AM GMT
Hi Judith,

I lived in King George Co in Shiloh, and Jersey.

Where was Jett Creek? I believe That I lived near my roots. As a Child I explored those woods extensively.

The only Creek I new was Jeff's Creek.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 1:27PM GMT
If my memory serves me right there was a sign saying "Jett Mall" just as you entered the city of Frankfort, Ky. It was just a small strip of shops but it caught our eye. Haven't been there in years but it was neat.

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 8:30PM GMT
hello, I am looking for info about my grandfather --jesse dorris jett who was born to a julia jett in about1895 in illinois with 2 sibling. hi 1st marriage was to ida laverne prince then in about 1931 he married vera pearl dooley i believe he died in about 1970. he had 2 sons by ida --clarence & jesse carl. any help would be nice. by the way julia's maiden name may have been thurston. thank you ---jeanine

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 11:12PM GMT
From Illinois Marriage Index:
Jett, Albert H. married Mary J. (Julia) Thurston, Oct 28, 1894 in Bond Co., IL.

Julia Jett is in the 1910 Bond Co., IL census with children Jesse D., Allen (?), and Bertha, and her father Jasper M. Thurston.

In 1900, Jasper Thurston and son Thaddeus are in Bond Co.

In 1880, Jasper Thurston, wife Harriet (maiden name Dorris), children Mary J. (Julia),8, Thadius, 5, and Cordelia, 2 are in Jefferson Co., IL.

In 1920, Julia Thurston Jett is married to George Bryan and they are in Pulaski Co., AR. Julia was born in Arkansas about 1873.

I have not been able to find Albert Jett's parents yet, but will keep looking. I hope this is helpful to you.

Sandra

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 1:54AM GMT
Jeanine, here is a little more info.

The information I gave re: Julia's second marriage was incorrect. Evidently she married (2) William F. Smith and they stayed in Bond Co.

Jesse Doris (Dorris) Jett is buried in the Montrose Cemetery in Greenville, Bond Co., IL. He was born 25 Aug 1895, and died 18 Dec 1932 in Independence, MO. He was buried 19 Dec 1932.

He can be found on www.findagrave.com - it lists him as the son of Albert Hogan/Hazen Jett and Mary Julia Thurston Jett Smith.

Jesse's brother Allsie and sister Edna Josephine (died at age one) are also buried in the same cemetery, as is Julia (died 1955).

Sandra

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:43PM GMT
Thank you for the info!! According to info I have ---jesse remarried to Vera Pearl Dooley in 1931 or 32 & died in Jonesbero arkansas Sept 27, 1971. He also may have spent time in prison in the 30's for embezzalement. He had 2 sons with Ida L Prince---Clarence L & Jesse Carl. Ida remarried a Dingmanwho was killed in 1929 in KC Mo was a po;iceman. She later married Gabriel (max) Sellnik and she died in 1944. What I am trying to find out is if Jesse & vera had any children & if he was ever charged with any crime. Thank you for your time & info---------Jeanine

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:44PM GMT
Thank you for the info!! According to info I have ---jesse remarried to Vera Pearl Dooley in 1931 or 32 & died in Jonesbero arkansas Sept 27, 1971. He also may have spent time in prison in the 20's for embezzalement. He had 2 sons with Ida L Prince---Clarence L & Jesse Carl. Ida remarried a Dingmanwho was killed in 1929 in KC Mo was a po;iceman. She later married Gabriel (max) Sellnik and she died in 1944. What I am trying to find out is if Jesse & vera had any children & if he was ever charged with any crime. Thank you for your time & info---------Jeanine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions