Search for content in message boards

Morgans, Maryland, St Mary's, Dorchester, other nearby counties

Morgans, Maryland, St Mary's, Dorchester, other nearby counties

GHanlan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2006 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is only the basic information I have on this family, so far. Just found William Sledmore Morgan information in previous posting yesterday and entered it right away. If any one has any more information to share that might fill in some holes please share it. Please!!!

Edward Morgan Sr, arrived in Maryland in 1670's, died about
1718, St. Mary's County MD.

Wife #1: Mary Crane, daughter of Robert, died about 1710.
Previously married to William Guyther, son William
Guyther Jr mentioned in will of Robert Crane.
Children: Edward Morgan Jr
Jane Morgan per will of Edward Sr.
John Morgan
Mary Morgan
Sarah Morgan
Benjamin Morgan

Wife #2: Mary Manning, daughter of John, died abt 1726.
Children: Eliza Morgan
Elinor Morgan
William Morgan

Families of children:
Edward Morgan Jr.: born after 1687 and died about 1748.
Wife #1: Margaret Sledmore: born bef. 1700, died abt 1740.
Children: Edward Morgan III
William Sledmore Morgan
Jane Morgan
Wife #2: Elizabeth Unknown, died about 1755
Married second to Griffin.
Children: Joshua Morgan, born before 1747.

Jane Morgan: about 1690-1746
Husband: Clement Cheverill (NOT John. John was his father
and his mother was also named Jane)1680-1743.
Children: Jane Chiverill: born abt 1718
Clement Chiverill
Hannah Chiverill (many variations on spelling)

John Morgan: abt 1693-1740
Wife: Mary Watts??

Mary Morgan about 1696-1742
Husband: John Sikes, died 1749, will mentions Joshua, son
of Elizabeth Griffin and Benjamin, son of William.

Sarah Morgan: about 1698
Husband: Unknown Green

Benjamin Morgan: born abt 1702.

Eliza Morgan, born between 1711 and 1715
Elinor Morgan, born between 1711 and 1715

William Morgan, born between 1711 and 1715
Wife: possibly Ann ???
Child: Benjamin, born before 1749, mentioned in John Sikes
will 1749.

William Sledmore Morgan and Edward Morgan III:
Twins John Sledmore Morgan and Thomas Morgan both served in the Am Rev War and received pensions. Both lived in St. Mary's and Dorchester Counties and moved from Maryland to Kentucky. John in about 1794 and Thomas about 10 years later.
The twins are not the sons of William Sledmore Morgan as the previous posting shows that he had only under age son Richard in 1769 when he died. They could, however, be his grandsons, sons of John Sledmore Morgan Sr, as family in Kentucky has claimed. They could also be sons or grandsons of Edward Morgan III. William Sledmore Morgan was named for Margaret Sledmore's grandfather. Her father was named John Sledmore. Either William or Edward III may have named a son John Sledmore Morgan. Help!!

Re: Morgans, Maryland, St Mary's, Dorchester, other nearby counties

Posted: 18 Feb 2006 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: Morgan, Hignut, Davis
Not sure if this is connected to your line.

Unknown Morgan married to Sarah (maiden name unknown) who, on his death married Unknown Hignut, followed by Unknown Davis. When she died in 1756 Dorchester County MD, her inventory on 14 Oct 1756 listed these children: John Morgan, Solomon Morgan, Elizabeth Morgan , James Hignot, Habakuk Morgan ; granddaughters: Lucy Morgan, Mary Devan. Ex: Hobokuk Morgan

In addition, we believe she had a son named Benjamin Morgan who is listed as kin to Habakuk, and also to John Morgan.

Habakuk Morgan is my ancestor.

From Magruder's Maryland Colonial Abstracts, Wills, Accounts, and Inventories 1772-1777, compiled by James M. Magruder Jr., page 66:
---
MORGAN, HABAKUK - Caroline County MD - 19 Feb 1775 / 8 Mar 1775

To son: Habakkuk Morgan, dwelling plantation, Addition to Goospond, 121 acres with warrant of Resurvey.
To sons: James and John Morgan, tract near Marshy Hope called Morgan's Addition to Rogues Bequiles, 228 acres, equally.
To daus: Deborah and Charlotte, land where Smith Rumbley lives, part of Edmonson's Reserve, 35 acres with the Addition shall be sold and money put at interest, equally divided between them.
Rents from my dwelling plantation for six years to maintain my small children.
To 5 children: Habakkuk, James, John, Deborah and Charlotte personal estate equally afters wifes thirds are deducted.
Wife, Deborah Morgan, Excx.
Test.: Nath'l Potter, James Hopkins, Edward Eaton, Samuel Ireland, Jr.
WILLS 40, f, 220
ACCTS. *
Inventory of Habakkuk Morgan, Caroline Co. 12 May 1775. Appraised by David Woolford, George Bldes. Kindred, Bengmon Morgan, Elizabeth Hobs. Sum of 105/17/4 1/2 (pounds, shillings, pence). 3 July 1775. Deborah Morgan, Excx. Creditors, Abraham Collins, Edard Rumbley.
INV. 120, f. 292.
---

See any connection?
Charlie Hartley

GHanlan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2006 10:41PM GMT
It is a different family. I have been gathering information on your family as well because some members of my family went from Saint Mary's to Dorchester County, were in Caroline County and then with this death notice of William Sledmore Morgan, may have been in Talbot County. I suspect that William Sledmore Morgan's land was just across the river from Talbot in the part of Dorchester which became Caroline County in 1774, however. There was another William Morgan in Dorchester area before 1700 and he had a son William Jr. William Jr had three daughters so that family died out.
Have you gotten any clue as to what was the maiden name for Sarah Hignutt Morgan Davis?
Spent a couple of days doing research locally and haven't sorted it all out yet.

Posted: 18 Feb 2006 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: Morgan
I have no clue on Sarah's maiden name.

If you are interested, there is a picture of habakuk Morgan's great-grandson, Samuel, located on this web page:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gensoup/photos/morg...

Posted: 19 Feb 2006 1:02AM GMT
Is the correct marriage data for Sarah-Hignutt, then Morgan, then Davis? I found some Morgan info in Dorchester land transactions Friday. It is a 7 volume set with information on land transfers and found several Morgans if you can use the info. Please feel free to contact me directly to compare notes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic