Search for content in message boards

Nehemiah Harris Family

Nehemiah Harris Family

Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jun 2006 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS
Here's where part of the family (like many other Carteret County folks) went to southern Indiana--Posey County:

14 Aug 1850 Black Twp., Posey Co., IN census p. 195B and 195A lists
Josiah 67 NC farmer could read/write living with Nehemiah 28 NC farmer value $400, Esther 28 NC and children Harriet J. 10 in school, Josiah 7 in school, Mary 5 in school, and Miles 3 -- all children b. IN

Nehemiah Harris Family

Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Morse, Canaday, Russell, Owen, Macon
Looking for information on the family of Nehemiah Harris and Mary Morse. Their known children were:

Anna Harris (b. 5 Nov 1777)
Josiah Harris (b. 12 Oct 1779) m. 20 Aug 1805 to Nancy Canaday
Elizabeth Harris (b. 2 Oct 1781)
George Harris (b. 18 Apr 1783)
Daniel Harris (b. 11 Apr 1786)
Nehemiah Harris (20 Jan 1789-24 Sep 1794)
Mary Harris (b. 23 Oct 1791) m. 28 Aug 1814 to William Russell
Esther Harris (b. 20 Nov 1794) m. 23 Feb 1820 to James Owen
Sarah Harris (b. 9 Dec 1797) m. 3 May 1823 to Daniel Macon

James Owen

Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2005 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Owens
Thanks for checking.

Jean

James Owen

Surnames: Owen, Harris
I'm afraid the only info I have on James Owen is in the Marriage Bond Records of Carteret County, NC.

Groom: James Owen Bride: Esther Harris Date: 02/23/2820

Esther Harris & James Owen

Edited: 15 May 2005 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Owens
Do you have anything else on the James Owen who married Esther Harris. Do you know if he was from a different county?

Jean

Gideon Harris

Surnames: HARRIS, BELL, QUINN, BRADLEY, RUSSELL, CANNADY-CANADAY, MOORE, BREES-BREEZE, HANCOCK, WARD, DAVIS
I'm sorry I have no info on Gideon Harris & his family in IL. As for migration paths and groups, I have many, many families who seemed to follow the same paths from VA to Carteret Co., NC, then either through KY or TN to have their progeny meet up in southern IN (Posey County). Often families traveled together (a safe thing to do in those days as they pushed the boundary of the frontier). My main research line is BELL....and, for example, John Bell who m. Jenny Quinn in NC and then later m. her sister Sarah Quinn in TN....traveled with several Quinn brothers. From TN, John took his family to Posey County....while Loftin Quinn took his family to Shelby Co., AL. The BELLs and QUINNs are intermarried and inter-related to, among others, Bradley, Russell, Canaday, Moore, Brees (Breeze), Hancock, Ward, and Davis....and of course those families intermarried with many others both in NC and IN.
I shall keep the info you posted on Gideon in my file...and if I locate anything I'll let you know.

Josiah Harris Family

Surnames: Harris, Russell
I'd heard some Harris's were in Posey County, IN and suspected they were from Carteret County. Have you run across any information on a Gideon Harris? He appears on the 1850 Census for Perry County, IL as follows:

Harris, Gideon, age 40, Carpenter, born NC

Sarah, age 30, born TN

Mary, age 12, born IL

Nancy, age 7, born IL

Jane, age 4, born IL

Margaret, age 2, born IL

I know some Carteret County families who migrated to Posey County, IN moved on to Jackson County, IL. The Culleys for example. Perry County is adjacent to Jackson County. Gideon Harris stated in an affadavit in Jackson County in 1852, that he knew Mary Russell (nee Harris) and her husband William Russell when they still lived in NC. Gideon disappears from records in IL shortly after this. William and Mary moved from Carteret County, NC to Jackson County, IL in the mid-1830s.

Do you have any further info on the migration from Carteret County, NC to Posey County, IN and then to Jackson County, IL? It still amazes me how the families stuck together moving from place to place.

Culley/Cully Family

Posted: 28 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CULLEY-CULLY, RUSSELL, CANNADY, THOMAS, BREECE
I've compared the folks you listed with my file, and have some info to add....and, of course, some questions!
Phillip Culley was listed in 1810 Carteret census: male age 26-45, female age 16-26, 4 male children under age 10
Lucretia Culley b. ~1784 NC d. Aug 5 1844 Posey Co., IN m. in Carteret on Abt. Sep 13, 1805 to James Breece, Sr. b. 1781 Carteret d. April 10 1864 Posey co., IN (they had 8 children).
Which Thomas Culley is this???? There are:
Thomas b~1743 d. 1801-02 Carteret m. Lucretia/Lucreasa and had sons Joseph & Phillip and other children?
Thomas Cully m. Sarah (?) and had daughter Charity Cully b. ~1815 NC.
Thomas Cully Jr. m. Elizabeth/Betsey Cannady (b. 1787) NC and had daughter Charlotty Cully b. ~1804
Thomas B. Culley b. 1807 NC m. Sarah Thomas 7-10-1828 Posey Co. and m. Cassandria Thomas 1847 Posey Co. (Thomas B & Cassandra are listed with 4 children in 1850 Posey Co. census.

Another question: I have Charlotty Culley (dau. of Thomas Jr. & Betsey Cannady) m. William Russell Jr. Posey Co., IN 13 Dec 1822. However I have this William Russell Jr. as son of William Russell Sr. & Lucretia (?). Am sending a separate email attachment with desc. of Benjamin Russell...includes this lineage.

I don't have any info on the other Culley folks you list that are in IL and of younger generations. Have not traced this line forward.....

This, of course, is part of the dilemma when these folks are not the main lines we are researching....leaves lots of gaps and lots & lots of questions!!!!

Culley/Cully Family

Surnames: Culley, Cully, Canaday, Brees, Breece, Russell, Bradley, Carter
I'll have to dig into my files for source info on this data, but I show the following as the children of Thomas Culley and Lucretia.

Joseph Culley (30 Aug 1769-11 Jul 1841) married Jane Canaday
Phamy Culley (dates unknown) married William Russell
Phillip Culley (no other data)
Richard Culley (no other data)
Lucretia Culley (dates unknown) married James Brees/Breece
Thomas Culley
Samuel Culley

I have several indirect linkages to the Culley Family, but I've not researched them very thoroughly. Actually I'm amazed at how many connections I just found in my database. If you have any info on the following I'd love to exchange data. In most cases I have additional info on the spouse listed.

I'm connected to....
....Rebecca Jane Culley (23 Jan 1828-9 Mar 1902) who married James Hughes Bradley in Randolph County, IL on 2 Jul 1844. Rebecca Jane Culley was the daughter of Josiah Culley (b. 1802) who was the son of Joseph Culley (1769-1841).
....Nancy Elizabeth Paralee Culley (6 Dec 1854-14 Nov 1903) who married Thomas Benton Bradley in Jackson County, IL on 26 Mar 1874. I'm not quite sure where she fits in the Culley line but she is shown as born in IL.
....Jefferson K. Culley who married Harriet Bradley in Perry County, IL on 12 Dec 1895.
....Lucretia Culley (1857-1921) who married Francis Marion Russell in Jackson County, IL on 2 Oct 1879. Again, not sure how she fits in with the others.
....Jonathan Culley who married Jemima Russell about 1744 possibly in Craven County, NC.
....Charlotte Culley who married William Russell (son of William Russell and Phamy Culley) in Posey County, IN on 13 Dec 1822.
....Cornelius Culley (3 May 1840-27 Apr 1887) who married Martha A. Carter in Jackson County, IL on 2 Apr 1861. I show that this Cornelius was born in AR, but find it likely he is connected to the other Culleys mentioned.

re: William Russell & Sussanah Jarvis Lindsey

Surnames: Russell, Lindsey, Jarvis
I don't have a lot of info on this line of the Russells, but I'm fairly sure they are connected. From Currituck County Will books:

Will of Thomas Russell dated 4 Mar 1769. Lists wife Margaret, daughters Abigail Russell and Comfort Applestal Chandler. Two youngest sons William and Benjamin Russell. Granddaughter Love Russell. Executors were Abigail Russell and William Russell. Witnesses were Daniel Lindsey, W. Chandler Jr. and Samuel Spooner.

Will of Daniel Lindsey dated 8 Sept 1774 was witnessed by William Russell and Benjamin Russell.

Jonathan Jarvis Will dated 11 Mar 1775 names his daughter Susana Russell.

Will of Benjamin Russell dated 17 Nov 1814. Identifies
'Wife and her two children Susannah and Daniel Russell'
'My children' (not named)
Executor was 'My Brother Daniel Lindsey' (not sure if means Daniel Lindsey or Daniel Lindsey Russell).

Do you know what the documentation is that shows that a William Russell actually married Susannah Jarvis Lindsey? As with other surnames the given names William and Thomas, are repeated over and over again in these Russells lines. At present I'm sorting out 8 Thomas Russells and 10 William Russells who were born between 1650 and 1800 and lived in either Princess Anne County, VA; Currituck County, NC; Carteret County, NC and/or Onslow County, NC. There are probably more, these are just the 8 & 10 that I'm sure are seperate identities.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions