Search for content in message boards

At My Wits End for the Atkinson Line......

At My Wits End for the Atkinson Line......

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching my Family Tree and have run into a brick wall. John Atkinson, s/o Roger Atkinson and Ann Pleasents, born around 1726 in Dinwiddie County, married Mildred Dickerson and died around 1789 in Danville, Virginia. Their son, John Atkinson, born March 1759 or 1760 ends up in Johnston County, N.C. where my Family Tree Starts. I keep finding bits and pieces of info but nothing that ties them all together. The lastes being the U.S. Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications. Any help, info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Richard Atkinson

Re: At My Wits End for the Atkinson Line......

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: ATKINSON
Are you looking for information that John is Roger Atkinson's son or something else?
Nancy Smith

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: ATKINSON
I have usually found the DAR records more useful than the SAR records. But DAR only lists John Atkinson's descendants that have been proven and a son John is not one of them. I was hoping that you needed Johnston Co. info as so much of it is available on-line. It sounds like you need Roger's will and while looking at the Dinwiddie, Virginia collection in the Family History Library Catalog it looks like not much is available before 1830. The loose wills they have record of said pieces were missing etc.

However, have you used their microfilm of the Bristol Parish Register 1720-1794 and Vestry Book 1720-1789 FHL US/CAN Film [30625] ? It states that Bristol Parish included Dinwiddie and Prince George counties. This might include birth and christening records. I have never found what I wanted in the VA parish registers I was looking at, but I thought if you were desparate you might give it a try. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Nancy Smith

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Atkinson
Are you sure John born 1760 was not from the Atkinson line in Cumberland Co., Va? Son of Thomas Atkinson and Sarah Hghes Atkinson acquired land in Johnson Co., NC in the 1740s.

This line of Atkinson and that of Roger from Dinwiddie Co., VA do not appear to be related, in America, any way.

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Atkinson
1746 - John signed deed recorded in Goochland Co., VA, showing him as A resident of Johnston Co, NC

1748, Oct 06 - John Atkinson petition for 100 acres in Johnston Co., NC

Mars Secretary of State Record Group Land Office: Land Warrants, Plats of Survey, and Related Records Johnston County

Title File No. 0233, John Atkinson
Years: 1748
Creator: Office of Secretary of State Office of the Secretary
Languages:
Call Number: S.108.760
MARS Id: 12.14.78.4130 (Folder)
Other Ids:
Physical Description:
Quantity: 2 Item(s)
Other Copies:
Related Materials:
Abstract:

Source / Donor:
Note:

Land Grant Information
Acres: 100
Grant No:
Issued:
Surveyed:
Warrant No: Entry No: Oct. 22, 1748
Entered:
Book No: Page No:

Tom Atkinson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions