Search for content in message boards

William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 10:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kenndy, Walthew, Ryan, Halloran, Shedy, Fox
Looking for the marriage of William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland. They have 2 children living in Australia, that i have found.

John Kennedy,B 1837 D abt 1908 and Anne Sheedy, B1834 had Children in Lancefield, and Broadford in Victoria. Mary b 1860, Willaim B1863 John B1867, Thomas b1869, James b1873, and Michael B1875.

They were married 1858, at St Francis Catholic Church in Melbourne. There usual residence in 1858 was Richmond, Victoria.

John had a small land holding in Broadford of 160acres, which was sold after his death Abt 1809.
Anne Sheedys parents were John Sheedy and Mary Ryan. Anne was also born in Tipperary.

I have ancestors decendent from Knocknemerough, near keeper in Tipperary, and can see that there is a Walthew on the Griffiths valuation of Ireland, in that region

There were witnesses at the marriage. Bridget White, and what looks like Jeramiah (perhaps and .... Sugg.. to hard to read. definately a long name with GG in the middle

There was a brother Edward, Born 1827, Tipperary. Died 1887, at Koorooman, Victoria, which is near Leongatha in South Gippsland. There is a Inquest which I havnt got yet, as he was felling a tree when he died. He was unmarried, but left his property to his brother John farmer of Broadford.

Signitures match Johns on Edwards will. Parents of Edward as listed on his Death certificate was William Kennedy and Catherine Walthou. The informant being the local Constablary at Mirboo North.

It states 21 years in the colony of Victoria, does not mentioon any time spent in Tasmania.

Living near John Kennedy and Anne Sheedy, in Broadford, is Rody Kennedy, or Roderick. Farming at Donnybrook, Victoria.

He married a Margaret Halloran in 1854, at St Francis Catholic Church in Melbourne. Roderick B 1824 (by marriage cert), Died 1905 (84yrs) on death certificate.

Witnesses Vinity Ryan? and Ellen Kinney.

Rody's parents were John Kennedy and Margaret Shedy. He was born Co Tipperary.

Margaret Hallorine Parents William H Hallorine and Mary Malony. Margaret was born in Co Clare, Ireland.

Suspect that Rody was a convict, coming to Tasmania at the age of 20 on the Duke of Richmond, with other kennedys from Tipperary. John 7 yrs, Phillip Life, Rody 7 yrs, James 14yrs John 14yrs, all from tipperary and all on the Duke of Richmond in 1844.

Also in the region. Edward Kennedy. B1841 in Newport Tipperary, the son of Andrew Kennedy and Margaret Corbet. Edward came to Australia, and also went to NZ for the gold rush for a short time where he was reasonably succseful. He bought property at Moranding Kilmore. Upon his return from New Zealand he married Ellen Tereasa MORRISSY in 1867. It was a double wedding, his sister Margaret Kennedy, B1839 Co Tipperary, to a Michael Conway.

Ellens parents Thomas Morrisy, B 1803 Tipperary and Margaret Fennell Babt 1813 Tipperary.

I believe that Edwards father was the brother of my GGG Grandfather Hugh Kennedy, M Jane Fox, Doon Limerick, Ireland.

Looking for any ties to the family of Andrew Kennedy and M N Carey, Knocknemorough, Tipperary Ireland.

Or any information in general about these Kennedy families.

Happy to send certs.

thanks in anticipation.

Paul Barrett

Re: William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

Posted: 4 Jan 2012 11:31PM GMT
Hello Paul,

I’m not a descendant of the Kennedy and Walthew clans, but I found the baptism indexes for three children of a William Kennedy and a Catherine/Kitty Walthew at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Tipperary (North). None of the three baptism indexes however, pertain to John or Edward.

The baptisms are for Thomas (1820); Mary (1823); and Judy (1826). The three children were baptized in the Newport Catholic Church.

Before searching for indexes at the IFHF you’ll first need to establish a free account. Indexes are also free to search, but it costs 5 Euros to download individual birth/baptism, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions of the records you are interested in. I’ll have more information a little later about how to pay less than 5 Euros per transcription.

The three indexes are below. You’ll notice that the index for Thomas lists his mother’s first name as “Kitty.” The IFHF search engine would not accept her name Catherine. I had to guess as to the spelling variant of her first name to uncover this index. The name Kitty is probably original to the baptism index, and transcribed as such by the IFHF staff:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Thomas 1820 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
Surname: Kennedy
First Name: Thomas
Father's Surname: Kennedy
Father's First Name: William
Mother's Surname: Walthew
Mother's First Name: Kitty

Year: 1820

Parish/District: NEWPORT (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1823 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

First Name: Mary
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1823

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Judy 1826 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Judy
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1826

____

If you order the three baptism transcriptions individually, you would pay 15 Euros. But you can order all three from one index for 12 Euros by accessing the index as you see it below, without including the first names of the children, or their years of birth. Also, don’t include their mother’s first name as it is not spelled the same way (as noted earlier) in one of the three indexes:

3 matches for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 3 records that you have not yet viewed is €12.00

First Name:
Mother's First Name:

Year:

____

While I didn’t locate the baptism indexes for William and Catherine Walthew Kennedy’s sons John and Edward, the three indexes above may pertain to John and Edward’s parents.

Next I found what I believe to be the 1817 marriage index for William Kennedy and Margaret Walthew in the Newport Catholic Church. However, the search engine would not accept Margaret as the first name of William’s wife. And so, I accessed the indexes using the name Walthew as the primary partner in the marriage. The index came up with the name Mary Walto.

The index looks like this:

Source Surname First Name Year County

Church Marriage Walto Mary 1817 Co. Tipperary
____

What this means is that Mary’s maiden name in the marriage register is spelled Walto, and was transcribed as such by the IFHF staff for Tipperary North. But, because the IFHF utilizes a Soundex-type system for surnames, the alternate spelling of Walthew is also accepted by the search engine.

Concerning her first name, Mary may also be Catherine. It’s possible her middle name was Mary. Or her first and middle names may have been Catherine Mary or Mary Catherine. It’s also possible that the priest or parish clerk wrote her first name as Mary, rather than Catherine in error. But, this is a guess on my part. In any event, I think there’s the possibility Mary is Catherine Walto/Walthew.

The full marriage index is below, again utilizing Mary as the primary marriage partner in the index:

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Mary 1817 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
Surname: Walto
Spouse's Surname: Kennedy
Spouse's First Name: William
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1817

Parish/District: Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
____

Paul, I think Walto may be the way folks for Tipperary pronounced Walthew. You can actually see how that might happen, just the way a person from Thurles, Tipperary, may pronounce the place as Turless, or Cloughjordan as Clock-Jordan.

When I did a general search of baptism and marriage indexes at the IFHF search engine for Tipperary (North), for the early 19th century, several Walto surnames turned up. One of the marriage records was for a Jacob Walto, whose marriage was recorded in the Newport Catholic Church in 1795. Marriage indexes don’t automatically provide you with the first and last names of the marriage partner. You either have to know their names, find their names through additional research, guess as to what their names are, or buy the transcription to find out. The marriage index for Jacob Walto, minus his wife’s name, is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Jacob 1795 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Jacob
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name:
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1795

____

Next, I tried to guess as to the first name of Jacob’s wife. Starting with women’s first names beginning with the letter A, and son through the alphabet, I finally worked my way down to the letter W. The search engine accepted her first name as Winifred. The revised marriage index for Jacob Walto and Winifred is below:

Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Winifred
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Now I wanted to know what Winifred’s maiden name was. There’s really no way to guess at this as there are too many Irish names to choose from.

I then accessed Griffiths valuation for Newport, Tipperary North, to see what surnames were listed in the town, which was located in the Civil Parish of Killvelane. I did this because I figured there would still be people living in or around Newport who may have shared the same last name as Winifred, and who may have actually been related to her.

The valuation for Newport was completed by 1848

On the first of several pages of Griffiths Valuation, the last and first names below were recorded in Newport:

RYAN MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT DALY CHARLES TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT SHEA WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT BRADSHAW THOMAS TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPOR
BARRETT ANNE TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
CULLEN JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
CAREY LANGERT TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT

CHURCH AND YARD TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
SHEA WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
WALLER WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
RYAN MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
COFFEY MICHAEL CULLEN JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
SHEA WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
FITZGERALD JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
COFFEY MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
COFFEY MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
RYAN MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
HANRAHAN MARY HICKEY JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
KENNEDY PATRICK TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT HICKEY JOHN
____

I went back to the IFHF search engine and tried each of the surnames found in Griffiths Valuation above, and typed each into the Spouse’s Surname box for Winifred. After going through a little over half the names, the search engine accepted Winifred’s maiden name, Fitzgerald.

The second revised marriage index follows, reflecting the first and maiden names of Jacob Walto’s wife, Winifred Fitzgerald:

Spouse's Surname: Fitzgerald
Spouse's First Name: Winifred
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

With the information above I next looked for IFHF baptism indexes of any children of Jacob Walto and Winifred Fitzgerald. The indexes revealed three names. These are the baptisms for Michael (1797); Catherine (1798); and Edmund (1803). The Catherine in the baptism index may be the future wife of John Kennedy, but that’s just a guess on my part.

The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Michael 1797 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Michael
Father's Surname: Walto
Father's First Name: Jacob
Mother's Surname: Fitzgerald
Mother's First Name: Winifred

Year: 1797

____

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Catherine 1798 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1798

____

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Edmund 1803 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Edmund

Year: 1803

____

To order the three baptism transcriptions for the reduced cost of 12 Euros, access the index for the Walto children just as you see it below, without the first names of the children or their years of birth:

3 matches for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 3 records that you have not yet viewed is €12.00

First Name:

Year:

____

THE SHEEDY/RYAN CONNECTION

Next I looked for the IFHF marriage index of Anne Sheedy’s parents, John Sheedy and Mary Ryan, but didn’t find it. But I did find the baptism indexes for seven of their children, all baptized in the Newport Catholic Church. None of the indexes is for Anne, however.

The children include Michael (1813); Bridget (1816); John (1819); Judy (1822); Mary (1825); Nancy (1829); and another daughter named Nancy (1831). I’m wondering if the Nancy born in 1831 could be your Anne. That there are two baptism indexes for children named Anne, means the first-born child named Anne had died:

The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Michael 1813 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Surname: Sheedy
Father's Surname: Sheedy
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: Ryan
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1813

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Bridget 1816 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Bridget

Year: 1816

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) John 1819 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: John

Year: 1819

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Judy 1822 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Judy

Year: 1822

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Mary 1825 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Year: 1825

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Nancy 1829 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Nancy

Year: 1829

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Nancy 1831 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Nancy

Year: 1831

____

You can order the seven baptism transcriptions for the children of John Sheedy and Mary Ryan by accessing the following index, without adding the first names of the children or their years of birth:

7 matches for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 7 records that you have not yet viewed is €20.00

First Name:

Year:

____

KENNEDY AND SHEEDY

In your message to Ancestry.com you noted that Rody Kennedy’s parents were John Kennedy and Margaret Shedy.

I located an IFHF marriage index for John and Margaret, showing they were married in the Borrisokane Catholic Church in 1832.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) John 1832 Parish: BORRISOKANE (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Sheedy
Spouse's First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1832

Parish/District: Parish: BORRISOKANE (RC)
____

I also found the baptism indexes for three children of John Kennedy and Margaret Sheedy. I didn’t locate the baptism index for Rody, however. The three children are Mary (1833); Anne (1840); and John (1845). The children were baptized in the Cloughjordan Catholic Church:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1833 Parish: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)

Mother's Surname: Sheedy
Mother's First Name: Margaret

Year: 1833

Parish/District: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Anne 1840 Parish: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)

First Name: Anne

Year: 1840

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) John 1845 Parish: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)

Year: 1845

____

The index to order the three baptism transcriptions for the children of John Kennedy and Margaret Sheedy is below:

3 matches for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants)

First Name:

Year:

____

THE KENNEDY/ CORBET FAMILY

Your information shows that Edward Kennedy’s parents were John Kennedy and Margaret Corbet. I located their marriage index at the IFHF website, showing they were married in the Kilcommon, Tipperary, Catholic Church in 1829.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Andrew 1829 Parish: KILCOMMON (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Corbet
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: KILCOMMON (RC)
____

I also found 10 baptism indexes for the children of John Kennedy and Margaret Corbet, all baptized in the Newport Catholic Church. These children include: Ellen (1829); Mary (1831); Mary (1832); Andrew (1834); Joanna (1836); Margaret (1838); Edward (1840); Michael (1843); William (1845); and Jeremiah (1847).

The Edward Kennedy born in 1840, may be the same Edward you mentioned in your message to Ancestry.com.

The 10 indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Ellen 1829 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Ellen
Father's First Name: Andrew
Mother's Surname: Corbet

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1831 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kenedy (plus variants) Mary 1832 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Surname: Kenedy
Father's Surname: Kenedy

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Andrew 1834 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Andrew

Year: 1834

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Joanna 1836 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Joanna

Year: 1836

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kenedy (plus variants) Margaret 1838 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1838

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Edward 1840 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Edward

Year: 1840

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kenedy (plus variants) Michael 1843 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Year: 1843

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) William 1845 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: William

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Jeremiah 1847 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Jeremiah

Year: 1847

____

You can order the 10 baptism Kennedy baptism transcriptions for 20 Euros by accessing the index below:

10 matches for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 10 records that you have not yet viewed is €20.00

First Name:

Year:

____

MORRISSEY/FENNELL

Next is the IFHF marriage index for Thomas Morrissey and Margaret Fennell. The index shows they were married in the Clogheen, Tipperary, Catholic Church in1831. Clogheen is in the Tipperary (South) Ridings, rather than the Tipperary (North) Ridings. All of the previous indexes are from the North Ridings of Tipperary:

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Thomas 1831 Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
Surname: Morrissey
Spouse's Surname: Fennell
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)
____

I also found the baptism indexes for two of Thomas and Margaret’s children. These are William (1839) and Elen. In searching for Elen’s index, the IFHF search engine didn’t accept any individual baptism year in the 1800s or even in the 1900s. After submitting various years into the search engine, it finally accepted the year 2000, probably a key-stroke error made by the person who transcribed the record for the IFHF.

This Elen may refer to Edward Kennedy’s future wife.

The index for William shows he was baptized in the Cahir (pronounced “Care”) Roman Catholic Church, while Elen was baptized in the Clogheen Catholic Church, where her parents were married

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) William 1839 Parish: CAHIR PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
First Name: William
Father's Surname: Morrissey
Father's First Name: Thomas
Mother's Surname: Fennell

Year: 1839

Parish/District: CAHIR PARISH (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Elen 2000 Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)

First Name: Elen

Year: 2000

Parish/District: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)
____

To order the two baptism transcriptions for 8 Euros, don’t include the first names of the children, their years of birth, or the name of the parish where they were baptized:

2 matches for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants)
The cost to view the full details of the 2 records that you have not yet viewed is €8.00

First Name:

Year:

Parish/District:
____

HUGH KENNEDY AND JANE FOX

Thus far the IFHF for County Limerick doesn’t allow an Advanced Search for a husband and wife combination in the marriage indexes, but only provides marriage indexes for individuals, not their spouses. But, because the Doon Civil Parish as well as Catholic Church parish of Doon is co-existent in both Limerick and Tipperary (North), I wondered if there may perhaps be a marriage index for Hugh and Jane in Tipperary. I didn’t find a marriage index for them, but did uncover a baptism index for their daughter Mary, who was baptized in the Kilcommon Catholic Church in 1841.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1841 Parish: KILCOMMON (RC)

Father's First Name: Hugh
Mother's Surname: Fox
Mother's First Name: Jane

Year: 1841

Parish/District: KILCOMMON (RC)
____

If you look at a Catholic parish map of Tipperary, you can see where Doon is located in the southwest portion of the county. You can also see its geographical association with the surrounding parishes, where many of your ancestors had attended church, including Newport, and working your way north, Nenagh, Cloughjordan, and Borrisokane.

To view a Catholic parish map of Tipperary North, go to the Irish Times newspaper website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ti...

I next went back to County Limerick to see if I could find any children of Andrew Kennedy who were baptized in the Doon Catholic parish for that county. Because the Advanced Search option is not available for Limerick, the search engine doesn’t include spaces for the mother’s maiden or first names.

But, I did find two baptisms for sons of High Kennedy, registered in the Doon Catholic Church. These are for Andrew (1843) and Jeremiah (1845):

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Andrew 1843 Parish: DOON (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Limerick
First Name: Andrew

Year: 1843

Parish/District: DOON (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Jeremiah 1845 Parish: DOON (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Limerick
First Name: Jeremiah

Parish/District: DOON (RC)
____

I believe you would have to order the birth indexes for Andrew and Jeremiah separately.

I didn’t find information about Margaret Halloran or her parents William Halloran and Mary Malony. The IFHF has not transcribed any records to date for County Clare. I also looked for information about the Hallorans in Tipperary, but without success, and searched for them at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website but didn’t find information about them at that site either.

Paul, I can’t really be sure how many of the above indexes pertain to the Irish families of your ancestors. The indexes were located based on the names you supplied in your message to Ancestry.com. You’ll probably know, just by looking at the indexes, if they are your line or not.

If you haven’t used the IFHF website before, you may have to experiment with it, as I find it challenging at best.

Cheers,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 12:03AM GMT
Hi Dave,

Trying to read this whilst camping on the Murray, with an I Phone, so will respond next week, also need my book open.

You have uncovered a number of variations
Which I have missed. Most of these records I have purchased, and documented, it seems variations for Waltho, Walthew, Walton, were confused by people compiling the
Records, they note on the transcriptions the possibility that they got it wrong.

This is also the case in the book, " from Bun Ciamalta to NSW" where father Rody Kennedy cant deciede.

Itseems you are right about Catherine parents and have a number of baptisms for That family, in Nenagh.

Exellent work on the Hugh Kennedy Jane fox baptisms as I ha not noted that variation, will have to have a good look once I am home.

I have a lot of these baptisms which I
Have indexed on a spreadsheet, if you like will email a copy for
Tour perusal.

So without the details briefly, it seems that the son Edward, which I found no baptism, but gave his death cert, and a brother John, came to Aus. Inlocated the will, of Edward who left his Estate to John and confirmed signatures on marriage and probate records.

The book tells us of the family of Long Andrew Kennedy. And his children, which I have been confirming on this index, it seems that Denis Kennedy and Mary Kennedy, Mary being the Daughter of Catherine Walto, married and lived in Keeper.

I am thinking that there son William, and 2 others came to Victoria the same region as Edward. There is an Edward witness on there marriage cert and a Catherine (Edwards sister)?

Possibly Hughs Cousin.

Too difficult to do here but would love to discuss further. If you send me an email.

paulbarrett06@bigpond.com

Will send you what I have so you can see what you think.

Have located a couple of photos help, with family resilience.

Apologize for brief reply.

Paul Barrett

Posted: 9 Jan 2012 7:37AM GMT
hi dave,

well very intreguing, and thanks again for your searches, nice to met someone like minded who spends a lot of time in that data base, and trying to figure out its contents.

So as you have found, i have also found the same regarding Jacob Walto and Winifred Fitzgerald. Including Jacob Walto B 1800.

I have it as follows;

1. Jacob Waltho-1 was born about 1778 in Gortnaskhey, Tipperary, Ireland.
Winifred Fitzgerald was born in 1780 in Ireland.
Jacob Waltho and Winifred Fitzgerald married. They had the following children:
i. Michael Waltho was born in 1797 in Gortnaskhey, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on
17 Feb 1797 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[1].
ii. Catherine WALTO / WALTHEW[2] was born in 1798 in Tipperary, Ireland. She was
baptized on 30 Oct 1798 in Newport, Tipperary Ireland[3].
iii. Jacob Waltho was born in 1800 in Gortnaskhey, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on
12 Dec 1800 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[4].
iv. Edmund Waltho was born in 1803 in Gortnaskhey, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on
31 Jul 1803 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland.

In regards to William Kennedy and Catherine Waltho, Walto, Walthew and Walton variations, you have found 1 extra being Thomas 1820. This is a bit of a problem, as Thomas does not fit the naming pattern...... Will have another look at him.

If you add the children for the variation Walton, then you will get the following children;

n Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[2].
Catherine WALTO / WALTHEW daughter of Jacob Waltho and Winifred Fitzgerald[1] was born in
1798 in Tipperary, Ireland. She was baptized on 30 Oct 1798 in Newport, Tipperary Ireland[3].
William Kennedy and Catherine WALTO / WALTHEW married. They had the following children:
i. Winifred Kennedy was born in 1822 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland[4]. She was baptized
on 03 Feb 1822 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[5].
ii. Mary KENNEDY[6] was born in 1823 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. She was baptized on
23 Mar 1823 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[7].
iii. Edward Kennedy was born in 1824 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. He died in 1887 in
Kooriman Victoria, Australia. ( no baptisim)
iv. Judy Kennedy was born in 1826 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. She was baptized on 24
May 1826 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland.
v. Michael Kennedy was born in 1827 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on
10 Aug 1827 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[8].
vi. Patrick Kennedy was born in 1829 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on
08 Feb 1829 in Newport Tipperary, Ireland[9].
vii. Catherine Kennedy was born in 1831 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. She was baptized
on 29 Nov 1831 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[10].
viii. William Kennedy was born in 1833 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on
13 Feb 1833 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland[11].
ix. John Kennedy[1, 12] was born in 1834 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 12]. He was baptized
on 23 May 1834. He lived in Broadford Victoria in 1900 (owned 160 acres of land and
house close to the Broadford Township. The land was advertised for Sale in the local paer
1908.)[1, 12]. He died about 1908 in Broadford Vic Australia[1, 12].
x. David Kennedy was born in 1836 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland. He was baptized on 07
Apr 1836 in Newport Tipperary, Ireland[13].
xi. Margaret Kennedy was born in 1838 in Bleanbeg, Tipperary, Ireland[14]. She was baptized
on 04 Jan 1838 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland.

So now quite interested i have bought the record of the marriage of Mary Walto.

Now for a bit of info, using my research of the Kennedys in Australia, I eventually came across a copy of a book titled "From Bun Ciamalta Vale to New South Wales" it was a study of Kennedy families from the hills of Keeper, compiled from the research of a Father Roger Kennedy, Niative. It talks of both the Family of a Long Andrew Kennedy, and Father Rodys family, and there are links, as well as other info from the region. All these I have entered in my tree.

Another Kennedy Author, Brian Kennedy, has written a book "The Irish Kennedys". he is related to the same family, i have incorporataed part of his research into the tree.

So I guewss the short of it is, Whilst trying to uncover other possible family members to my GGG Grandfather Hugh Kennedy, I found this Edward Kennedy, Child of William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, living in the region

Also A william Kennedy, whos Parents were Denis Kennedy and Mary Kennedy Kennedy, and siblings who all came to the same area.

Using the book, I have been trying to place this Denis and Mary. Unfortunately, due to the naming pattern, there are a lot of Denis Kennedys, (2 principles) and they both married Mary Kennedy/ Kennedy........ frustrating, so I have been tralling all the baptisms and using the naming pattern, trying to figure out whose children are whose.

(note these baptisims are listed at Ballinahinch, not Newport. In th ebook Bun Ciamalta Father Rody says he does not list Ballinahinch as they sometimes confused the names of the places)?

The book tells us that Long Andrews children, when he inherited Tour, after the death of John Berkery, who was married to Mary Kennedy, that his oldest Andrew got Knocknemouragh, John got Tour, and William got Keeper. The family offshots from there.

So, This William Kennedy, born 1795 son of William and Bridgit Ryan, there is a baptisim in Blean Beg/Newport that matches, if these are the parents of William who married Catherine, then they would be a seperate family than the Long Andrew Kennedy's, probably related, born 1775, lets say Brother to Long Andrew. (Guess)

The Wife of Berkery, I dont know how inheritence of land at the time works, but why did Long Andrew inherite Tour? Berkerys wife was a Mary Kennedy, so maybe Sister or Mother to Long Andrew???

If we look at the baptism of William Kennedy B 1796, parents William Kennedy and Brigid Ryan They also had margaret and Joanna.

The notes tell us;

[PRIEST NR] L * GULIELMUS L ** GULIELMUS L **** GULIELMUS

does this mean that *William/Guliemus (latin), **father was William and 4 x father was ****William?

Well as you found, there seems to be no other baptisms for William Kennedy and MARY Walto, there is a variation in Limerick, Mary Walton.....

So drumroll.

the marriage certificate is William Kennedy of Keeper, marries Mary Walto of Garranebeg?? is this Limerick? No mention of Catherine anywhere.

The witness is; James Walto Mick Walto

we have a michael, brother, no James.

of note however;

E GRAHAM [PRIEST]
E ** WM
****** JOHN KENNEDY.

So does this mean that Wililams father was William, and his 3 x great grandfather was John?

This is the first time I have seen a John at the end of that many *'s

Just to make it interesting, William Kennedy son of Long Andrew Kennedy who got Keeper, had a wife Mary Unkown. (could this be Mary Walto)?

He is also the only William son of William in the tree, that has been substanitiated. (unless you guess that William who married Brigit Ryan was brother to long Andrew).

The book talks of three children for this William. I have traced them and there marriages as described in the book. They are as follows;

William Kennedy-1[1, 2, 3] was born about 1792 in Knocknamoheragh[1, 2, 3]. He lived in Keeper, (Bun
Ciamalta), Tipperary, Ireland about 1802 (William got Bun Ciamalta, Which was later divided between
his 3 children. William Denis and a sister Mary, who married Matt Fogarty.)[2].
Mary? Unknown[3] was born about 1797 in Tipperary[3].
William Kennedy and Mary? Unknown married. They had the following children:
i. Denis KENNEDY was born abt. 1813 in keeper, Tipperary, Ireland.
ii. William Kennedy[2, 3] was born about 1817 in Keeper, Limerick/Tipperary[2, 3]. He lived in
Keeper, Tipperary, Ireland[2].
iii. Mary Kennedy[2, 4] was born in 1821 in Keeper, Tipperary, Ireland[2, 4]. She lived in Foilduff,
Abington, Co Tipperary, Ireland in 1824 (from marriage certificate)[4]. She married Mathew
(Matt) FOGARTY on 02 Mar 1824 in Kilcommon, Tipperary, Ireland (Matt & James
Kennedy witnesses)[4].

The other thing of note is;

When researching all of this I have tried to incorporate the naming pattern to prove who is who.

In studying William Kennedy, Son of Denis and Mary Kennedy, who came to Sale, Victoria. you uncover a viariation to the naming pattern where the first born Sons alternate between William and Edmund, or Edward. Every other generation.

Also, if I am to look at the Children of Long Andrew Kennedy, then it seems, his oldest son Andrew was the only one to reuse Andrew as his first born son. The rest used variations?

This I have not been able to find out how it works.

All very frustrating for an amature im afraid. But it seems to me that there are a long line of William Kennedys in the region, and for some reason, regardless of the term land "ownership" if it means leasing or ownership, either way seem to be bucking the trend especially those of the penal laws regarding recording births, and owning or leasing more than small portions of land.

In the book from Bun Ciamalta Vale, it lists the bequeths of Berkery, including 5 pound to William Kennedy, Parich Priest, this is 1757.

There is supposedly numerous members of the clergy, including a bishop.

In the family bible of my GG Grandfather Andrew Kennedy, there is a picture of a Priest, dressed in regalia from the 1800's?

Anyway thanks for your interest and help. I will continue looking at the other things listed in your post.

Regards,

Paul Barrett

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 11:32PM GMT
Hello Paul,

Your welsome and any thanks for your emails and the detailed research you have accomplished with your Walthew ancestors. You indeed have a good handle on your genealogy, and have a lot of information that other family historians wish they had. You can tell that you've done a great deal of research and that a lot of the research has paid off, in spite of the difficulies Irish research presents.

Again, thanks for writing Paul, and best of luck with your continued research.

Dave

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 1:36PM GMT
Hi again Dave and thanks for your king comments.

Finally back yo follow up on your posts.

Re Andrerw Kennedy and Margaret Corbett. Nicely secured. The Book Bun Ciamalta vale tells us that most of the siblings moved to Australia or the states, except 1. Andrew died;

Andrew Kennedy Date of Death: 07-Mar-1868
Address: Moheraugh County: Co. Tipperary
Graveyard Informant
Graveyard: Relationship: Householder
Parish: Name: Patrick Crowe
County: Address: Moheraugh
Notes:
CAUSE OF DEATH - INPRESSION OF CHEST - 10 DAYS - NOT CERTIFIED X ****

Andrews Daughter Mary, married Patrick Crowe. Described here as informant on the death record.

these are the ones I found to date;

*Andrew KENNEDY-1[1, 2, 3] was born in 1801 in Knocknamerough, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2, 3]. He died on
07 Mar 1868 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland[4].
Margaret Corbett daughter of John CORBETT and Eleanor UNK[3, 5] was born in 1809 in Limerick or
Tipperary[3, 5].
*Andrew KENNEDY and Margaret Corbett were married in 1829 in Kilcommon, Tipperary, Ireland.
They had the following children:
i. Ellen KENNEDY was born in 1829 in Tour, Tipperary Ireland.
ii. Mary Kennedy[3, 6] was born in 1832 in Morough, Tipperary, Ireland.[3, 6].
iii. Andrew Kennedy[3] was born in 1834 in Knocknamoraugh, Tipperary, Ireland[3].
iv. Joanna KENNEDY was born in 1836 in Morough?, Tipperary, Ireland..
v. John KENNEDY was born in 1838 in Morough?, Tipperary, Ireland..
vi. Margaret Kennedy[3, 7, 8] was born in 1839 in County Tipperary, Ireland[3, 7, 8]. She married
Michael Conway on 22 Apr 1867 in St Patricks Church, Kilmore, Victoria, Australia. She
died in 1906 in Kilmore, Victoria, Australia[3, 7, 8].
vii. Edward KENNEDY[9, 10, 11, 12] was born in 1841 in Morough,Tipperary, Ireland[10]. He
married Ellen Tereasa MORRISSY on 22 Apr 1867 in St Patricks Church, Kilmore, Victoria,
Australia (witnessed by Thomas and Mary Agnes Kennedy (nee Dunn)). He died on 13 Apr
1917 in Kilmore, Victoria, Australia[10].
viii. Michael KENNEDY was born in 1843 in Morough?, Tipperary, Ireland..
ix. William KENNEDY was born in 1845 in Morough, Tipperary, Ireland..
x. Jeremiah KENNEDY[3, 13] was born in 1847 in Morough, Tipperary, Ireland.[3, 13]. He
married Susan Carey Lim/Tpprry? 7 Chldrn(Gortnaskea then Australia?). He died in
Killeen, Tipperary, Ireland[3, 13].

Thomas Morrisy and Margaret Fennell:

Not sure how I missed William. Must have been that it was because he died on the boat out. Nice work again;

Thomas MORRISSY-1[1, 2, 3] was born about 1803 in Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2, 3]. He died on 11 Oct 1879
in Wahring,Moira,Victoria,Australia[1, 2, 3].
Margaret FENNELL[1, 3] was born about 1813 in Tipperary, Ireland[1, 3]. She died on 26 May 1889 in
Wahring, County of Moira, Vic, Australia[1, 3].
Thomas MORRISSY and Margaret FENNELL were married on 09 Feb 1831 in Clogheen Parish,
County Tipperary, Ireland[1]. They had the following children:
i. John Morrissy[1, 2] was born in 1836 in Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2]. He married Catherine
Kenneally in 1859[2]. He died on 07 Jun 1900 in Wahring, Nagambie, Moira, Victoria, Aust[1,
2].
ii. William MORRISSY[4] was born in 1839 in Cahir Parish, Tipperary, Ireland[4]. He died on
11 Jun 1841 in aboard the ship England[4].
iii. Margaret MORRISSY[5] was born in 1841 in Melbourne Victoria (registration 36185)[1, 3, 6].
She married James Cahill on 31 May 1868 in Kilmore East, Victoria, Australia[6]. She died
in 1908 in Murchison, Victoria (BDM registration NO:11122. Aged 66)[1, 6].
iv. Ellen Tereasa MORRISSY[1, 7, 8, 9] was born in 1846 in Murray River, Victoria[1, 9, 10]. She
married Edward KENNEDY on 22 Apr 1867 in St Patricks Church, Kilmore, Victoria,
Australia (witnessed by Thomas and Mary Agnes Kennedy (nee Dunn)). She died in 1930
in Victoria[10].
v. Cornelious Morrissy[1, 11] was born in 1849 in Tocumwal, New South Wales, Australia[1, 11].
He married Ellen McCarthy in 1883 in Victoria, Australia[11]. He died about 1915 in Victoria,
Australia[11].
vi. Mary Morrissy[1] was born in 1851 in Australia[1].
vii. Kate Morrissy[1] was born in 1853 in Australia[1].
Sources

There is more than meets the eye with this marriage. I believe that there would have been connections with the family in Tipperary.

Kilmore and surrounds seem to be simpathetic with the plight of Tipperary, evident in the newspaers of the time, which have been invaulable.

Seems Edward was a model farmer, with a small holding of abt 130 acres. His interest in the breeding of racehorses was succesful. He was involved with a number of regional champions, including Soldier boy.

His son William went on to be jockey and then trainer and was a man of note in the Melbourne racing scene.

Now saving the best until last. Isnt it funnt how you can start looking at something, one thing leads to another, then you end up missing it alltogether.

So not sure on how I have missed the baptisims all this time, but thanks so much for the post, as you have found something that I did not know.

Mary Kennedy Date of Baptism/Birth: 05-Oct-1841
Address: Cummergar Parish/District: KILCOMMON
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Father: Hugh Kennedy Mother: Jane Fox
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: Daniel Ryan Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Ally Fox
Notes:
[PRIEST NR]

Andrew Kennedy Date of Baptism/Birth: 31-Dec-1843
Address: Ballycoshown Parish/District: DOON
Father: Hugh Kennedy Mother: Ajne Fox
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: Patk. Ryan Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Mary Dea
Notes:

Jeremiah Kennedy Date of Baptism/Birth: 15-Dec-1845
Address: Dark Island Parish/District: DOON
Father: Hugh Kennedy Mother: Jane Fox
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: Conor Harrigan Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Biddy Ryan
Notes:

All three baptisms contain adresses. 2 of which I have located. Wow, not sure how I have missed it in the past. one i am not sure on.

Not sure what it was that had Hugh moving around, but by 1848, he was arrested for stealing 28 pound and some clothes.

Tried in Limmerick and sent to Spike Island, Dublin Castle, prior to being transported to Australia for 7 years.

His wife Jane and Mary Andrew and Jeremiah were sent out to join him in 1858. Also on board were children of Phillip Kennedy, who I have not figured out as yet.

so thanks again for the hint, a real boost to the research.

Paul Barrett

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 9:03PM GMT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your latest communication.

If you recall from my first posting I found the IFHF baptisms for two of Thomas Morrissey and Margaret Fennell’s children, William (1839), and Elen (2000). I’m not sure what the actual year for Elen’s baptism would be, as her year of baptism was transcribed incorrectly. But the indexes for William and Elen show they were baptized in the Clogheen, Tipperary (South) Catholic Church.

After receiving your very detailed last posting, I revisited this family again at the IFHF website, and found a baptism index I appear to have missed before. This too is for Ellen Morrissey, only the index shows that her baptism took place in the Clogheen, Waterford Catholic Church in 1832. I believe the Clogheen Catholic Church in South Tipperary and the Clogheen Catholic Church in Waterford pertain to the same location, on the border of both counties.

This Ellen would have died before the family left for Ireland, as your records show that Thomas and Margaret had another daughter named Ellen born in Murray River, Victoria, in 1846.

The index for Ellen is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Ellen 1832 Parish: CLOGHEEN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Waterford
First Name: Ellen

Parish/District: CLOGHEEN (RC)
____

Whereas Thomas and Margaret were married in 1831, Ellen may have been their first child, though I’m not sure why her baptism was recorded Clogheen, Waterford, and not also in Clogheen, Tipperary South Ridings, as they appear to have been the same parish church.

I encountered a similar occurrence when I looked for the baptism index for Margaret Fennel, as I found an 1814 index for a Margaret Fennell recorded in the Clogheen Catholic Church, Waterford, and an 1815 baptism index for a Margaret Fennell in the Clogheen, Tipperary South Catholic Church.

In the 1814 index, the IFHF search engine accepted Joseph as Margaret’s father, while in the 1815 index, James is recorded as having been her father.

The two indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Fennell (plus variants) Margaret 1814 Parish: CLOGHEEN (RC)

Surname: Fennell
Father's Surname: Fennell
Father's First Name: Joseph
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1814

____

1 match for the search criteria: Fennell (plus variants) Margaret 1815 Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)

Surname: Fennell
Father's Surname: Fennell
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1815

____

I also uncovered cross-border baptism indexes for two children named Thomas Morrissey. The first index below shows a Thomas Morrissey baptized in the St. Mary’s Clonmel Catholic Church in 1798. The IFHF search engine accepted James as his father’s first name.

The second index shows a Thomas Morrissey baptized in the Cahir Catholic Church, Waterford, in 1810. The search engine accepted Thomas as his father’s first name. As far as I could determine, there is no Catholic parish in Waterford named Cahir, and so I am guessing that the parents of Thomas in the second index had lived in Waterford, but baptized their son in Tipperary.

The indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Thomas 1798 Parish: ST MARY'S PARISH, CLONMEL (RC)

Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1798

Parish/District: ST MARY'S PARISH, CLONMEL (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Thomas 1810 Parish: CAHIR (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Waterford
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1810

Parish/District: CAHIR (RC)
____

See the Catholic parish map for South Tipperary at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ti...

The Catholic parish map for Waterford can be found at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/wa...

Paul, I’m not sure if either of the baptism indexes for Margaret Fennell and Thomas Morrissey pertain to your ancestors. You may want to keep these indexes on the back burner for future reference.

Concerning the Morrisseys, and based on your information, I located what may be the ship’s passenger list for Margaret and her children, plus other Morrisseys arriving at Port Phillip Bay, on the ship England, on 17 July 1841. Thomas is not amongst those on the ship’s list, which was found at Ancestry.com:

Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923

Catherine Morisey abt 1838 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England

Mary Morissey abt 1840 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England

Cornell Morrissey abt 1805 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Emma Morrissey abt 1808 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Mary Morrissey abt 1809 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Margt Morrissey abt 1813 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

John Morrissey abt 1833 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Ellen Morrissey abt 1835 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

John Morrissey abt 1836 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish
____

The “Cornell” Morrissey on the list may be a reference to a man named Cornelius. Emma may be his wife, or perhaps his sister.

With reference to Hugh Kennedy, and again from information you provided in your last reply, I found the transportation index for 33 year old Hugh Kennedy. The record shows he was transported out of Ireland on the ship Lord Dalhousie, in April of 1852. The record also shows that his wife Jane had petitioned to have his sentence commuted. You may already have this record, but if not I found it at the National Archives of Ireland’s, “Ireland-Australia transportation database,” which can be found at: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/topics/transportation/search0...

The record is below:

Last name: KENNEDY
First name: HUGH
Full name: HUGH KENNEDY
Sex: M
Trial place: Co. Limerick
Imprisonment place: Spike Island, Dublin
Trial date: 10/07/1848
Crime desc: Burglary
Sentence: Transportation 7 yrs
Ship: LORD DALHOUSIE, 00/04/1852
Petitioner: Jane Kennedy
Relationship: Wife
Document ref1: TR 8, p 106
Document ref2: CRF 1851 K18
____

Also concerning Hugh Kennedy, I found a record of him at Ancestry.com’s, “New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859,” database. This record is dated for the 1854-1855 time period, and notes that the time since Hugh’s conviction has been 5 years and 11 months. This record is from Tasmania, though I believe Hugh would have called this place “Van Diemen’s Land.”:

New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859

Name: Hugh Kennedy
Vessel: Lord Dalhousie
Province: Tasmania
Title: Pardons
Year(s): 1854-1855
Place of Conviction: Limerick
Period Since Conviction: 5 11/12

Source Citation: Class: HO 10; Piece: 63.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.

Original data: Home Office: Settlers and Convicts, New South Wales and Tasmania; (The National Archives Microfilm Publication HO10, Pieces 31, 52-64); The National Archives of the UK (TNA), Kew, Surrey, England.
____

More information about the database from Ancestry.com, follows:

About New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859
This database contains convict pardons and tickets of leave from New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia from 1834-1859.

Pardons were generally given to convicts with life sentences and shortened the sentence by granting freedom. There were two types of pardons – conditional and absolute. Conditional pardons required that freed convicts remain in the colony. Absolute pardons allowed freed convicts to return to the U.K.

Tickets of leave allowed convicts to live and work for their own wages wherever they wanted to within a certain Police District. Tickets of leave were generally given to convicts with good behavior. Convicts became eligible for a ticket after a certain amount of their sentence had been served. Generally a convict became eligible after 4 years for a seven year sentence, after 6 years for a fourteen year sentence, and after 8 years for a life sentence. Once a year the convict had to report in at the ticket of leave muster or else the ticket was revoked.

Pardons and tickets of leave contain similar information. Some of the information you can find on these records includes:

• Convict’s name

• Ship of arrival

• Date of arrival

• Birthplace

• Trade or occupation

• Trial/conviction place

• Trial/conviction date

• Physical description

• District to which confined
____

I can see why Hugh and his family may have moved from place to place when they were altogether in Ireland, especially during the Great Famine, ( in Irish “an Gorta Mór”) from 1845-1851. After the famine started it was probably difficult, if not impossible for Hugh to find work, hence, he probably stole the money and the clothes to feed his family and to keep them warm during the winter months.

Paul, the best book I’ve read concerning the Irish Famine is actually authored by an English woman, named Cecil Woodham-Smith, called, “The great hunger: Ireland 1845-1849.” The book was first published in 1962, and has gone through several editions since that time. This is not a very easy book to read, as it shows the terrible hardships our Irish ancestors went through during the famine. In this book you’ll be able to envision what Hugh Kennedy and his family, as well as your other Irish ancestors had experienced, if they lived during this time period, and even after the famine ended, as the famine affected the population of Ireland well into the 20th century.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

Thank you again for writing Paul.

Dave

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 12:29AM GMT
Hi Davenport,

Thanks for your reply. I had a great day yesterday, it's an intriguing history, one that has been quite consuming the last few years, but yesterday's new finds, really caused a breath of fresh air and new interest.

The last months have been difficult at times trying to cover such an extended look at the Kennedy family in this region, straying from Australia shores ond pushing the boundaries of what I would normally think to do

Still it is slowly giving me an understanding of how the clan system worked. With the blending of different branches of the principle families. It's a lifetime of work it seems, in this case a few lifetimes.

So it was a real pleasure to be closer to home, including spending a bit of time back on Ausie shores was a bit of a comfort.

I have got Hugh a little better prepared now, he had an amazing life.

I have a copy of his convict record from Australia, but would love to learn more of his offence and trial in Ireland, as the convict record ismnot very detailed.

How wouldmit be possiblemto view that reel, I spent some time looking yesterday, butmgave up when I realised it was hard copy.

I will look at Brian Kennedys references from the bookvhe "the Irish Kennedys" today, to try and clear up another convict, Philip Kennedy, Hugh's brother.

Like Hugh it seems Philip went south, want get into detail till I reach the other computer.

The shipping record, and I'll have to get some books out, shows that when Jane Fox came out she boug the children of a Philip Kennedyvwith her, but not trace have Imfound of any of them here.

The book Bun Ciamalta Vale, which I believe is about to be republished i here, tells of Philip, and that he went to Garavane, does not give his wife, but mention that his daughter Catherine married a "Boney"?

I have located Catharines baptism, but it seems that there is only 1, will post details. I thought that it was because it was Limerick, not Tipperary where I originally looked. But it seems not.

I am a little bit confused now with places, as names can be so similar. I have them mapped out on google earth, but it is FHA laying at times.

I am a little uneasy about Philip, he only convict possibilities that I have found in the past have been for deeds that you would hope were not him.

Still rounding up on him it seems.

The other can of worms was the Fox family. He witnessmat Mary Kennedy birth for Hugh and Jane fox, an Ally Fox, I found an Ally, in Dublin, with a brother James, father ...... rex I think, and other kids, but jame sis tovyoung tovbe Janes father... Ther eare 2 Ally Fox as well, Ivthought maybe it was a typo at firt.

Strange how the marriage index works, I had to buy 2 before I realised that it was right.

SovHughcand Jane married 1841 at St Johns Parish, then moved to Cummergar, parish of Kilcommon. This I have not been able tovlocate, apart from 1 other old post, for a marriage.

Anyway, best get on, will post he details of the new finds yesterday.

Regards,

Paul barrett

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 2:33AM GMT
sorry still asleep before, a late night.

Intersting about the Morrissy, and was my thinking that there was more than meets the eye. There is a dispute some time in the future betwwen Edward, and Thomas Morrissey about hte race horse Soldier Boy. There may be some confusement about the birth of Ellen. I have just had a look, and it appears there needs to be a purchase of a death certificate. But looks like 2 families.

Ellen has a Cornelious, who marries an Ellen.

Will as you say copy and paste this for now, as it is too dangerous to start looking at that. When I first pieced the Kilmore lot together, I deceided to go back to Ireland to get a better idea of the base families, the end game will be a better idea of these famlies and there expansion into the colonies.

I have a saying.

"to many bloody Kennedys"

Noted here so if anyone rights a book, its my vote for the title.

touching base on yesterdays finding;

Descendants of *Hugh KENNEDY
Generation 1
1. *Hugh KENNEDY-1[1, 2, 3, 4, 5] was born in 1814 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2, 3, 4]. He was
baptized on 19 Jun 1814 in Newport Church, Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland (Sponsors John
Kennedy & Mary Kennedy)[1, 3, 4]. He lived in St Johns Parish, Limerick in 1841 (Residence as listed on
the marriage certificate of Hugh Kennedy)[6]. He lived in Cummergar, Parish of Kilcommon. in 1841
(From the Baptisim record of Mary, the Last Kennedy of our Clan to be born in Tipperary.)[1]. He lived
in Ballycoshown,Tipperery,Ireland in 1843 (The birht place named on Andrew Kennedys baptisim.)[7].
He lived in Dark Island, Limerick, Ireland in 1845. He lived in Australia on 03 Jul 1858 (Free Pardon,
Granted, as reported in The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880))[1, 3, 4, 8]. He lived in
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia in 1866 (was still in Launceston when Andrew Kennedy married
Catherine Sullivan)[9]. He arrived in Victoria, Australia in 1875 (in 1889 from Hughs death certificate,
had been in Vic 14 years.)[1, 3, 4]. He died on 22 Sep 1889 in Holey Plains, Sale, Victoria, Australia
(Buried in Sale Cemetery)[1]. He owned As listed in the gippsland Tiems bereavments, His funeral
procesion was to start at his property and pass through Longford at 12 in 1897 in "Coolongoola",
Holey Plain, Rosedale, Victoria, Australia.
Jane FOX daughter of James FOX and JANE[1, 10] was born in 1823 in Limerick, Ireland[1, 10]. She lived
in Rosedale, , Victoria, Australia in 1903 (Old Age Pensioner). She lived in Rosedale, , Victoria,
Australia in 1909 (Old Age Pensioner)[1]. She died on 04 Jan 1914 in Queen Street Rosedale,
Victoria, Australia[10, 11]. She arrived inp (Settle in Port Sorrell with Hugh)[1].
*Hugh KENNEDY and Jane FOX were married in 1841 in St Johns Prish, Limerick, Ireland[12]. They
had the following children:
i. Mary KENNEDY was born in 1841 in Cummergar, Tipperary, Ireland (Baptisim record from
the Kilcommon parish Church.). She was baptized on 05 Oct 1841 in Kilcommon,
Tipperary, Ireland[13].
ii. Andrew Kennedy[14, 15, 16] was born in 1843 in Ballycoshown,Tipperery,Ireland[1, 15]. He was
baptized on 31 Dec 1843 in Doon, County Limerick, Ireland[17]. He arrived in Tasmania,
Australia on 18 Jul 1858 (From Gravesend onboard 'Constance' CB7/12/1/8 p254
CB7/2/1/1)[15]. He married Catherine SULLIVAN on 26 May 1866 in St Joesephs Church,
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia (Witnessed John Meek of Meer, Ellen Turney or Turner).
He lived in Dutsun, Sale South, Victoria, Australia in 1903 (1903 Electoral Role, shows
Andrew as Dutsun)[18]. He lived in Longford, Victoria, Australia in 1909 (Grazier)[19]. He
lived in Dutson, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia in 1913[15]. He lived in Longford, Sale South,
Vic, Australia in 1914 (Grazier). He lived in Longford, Victoria, Australia in 1919 (1921
Electoral Role sows Andrew as Longford.). He died on 08 Oct 1922 in Longford, Vic,
Australia[1, 15].
iii. Jeremiah KENNEDY[20, 21, 22, 23, 24] was born in 1845 in Dark Island, Limerick, Ireland
(Residence as described on Baptisim certificate)[20, 21, 22, 23, 24]. He was baptized on 15 Dec
1845 in Doon, County Limerick, Ireland[25]. He arrived in Holey Plains, Sale, Victoria,
Australia about 1873 (Left Port Sorrell area. May be moved onto Dandenong?)[20, 21, 22, 23, 24].
He married Mary Anne BOURKE on 17 Apr 1873 in Stratford, Victoria, Australia (Register
No 56)[26]. He owned 33 acres Bow Worung, about 1 1/2 miles noorth East of Stephensons.
on 26 Aug 1885 in Stratford Land Board, Before Messers Watson and Duncan. He lived in
Coongulmerang, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia in 1903[23]. He lived in Lindenow, Gippsland,
Victoria, Australia in 1914[20]. He lived in Sale, Victoria, Australia in 1919[20, 21, 22, 23, 24]. He
lived in Lindenow, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia in 1924[20]. He died on 06 Jun 1929 in
Sunbury, Victoria, Australia[20, 21, 22, 23, 24].
iv. Hugh KENNEDY was born before 1841 in Gortnaskhey, Tipperary, Ireland. He died on
Unknown in Deceased. Unable to find record. this information has come from family lore.
Page 1 of 3 Sunday, 15 January 2012 12:46:51 PM
Descendants of *Hugh KENNEDY
Generation 1 (con't)
v. James KENNEDY[10, 27, 28, 29, 30] was born on 14 Apr 1860 in Port Sorrell, River Forth,
Tasmania, Australia[10, 30]. He arrived in Holey Plains, Sale, Victoria, Australia about
1873[30]. He married Margaret BREEN on 05 Feb 1880 in St Mary's Sale (Register number
5)[30, 31]. He lived in Longford, Victoria, Australia in 1891 (Cert #: 3783)[30]. He lived in
Rosedale, Gippsland, Victoria, Australia in 1903[30]. He lived in Rosedale, Gippsland,
Victoria, Australia in 1909[30]. He lived in Dandenong, Flinders, Victoria, Australia in
1924[30]. He lived in Berwick, Flinders, Victoria, Australia in 1931[30]. He lived in Berwick,
Flinders, Victoria, Australia in 1936 (Farm labourer)[30]. He died on 24 Aug 1939 in
McFarlane Rd, Lyndhurst, Victoria, Australia

Still of interest. The Carey Family, and how they all fit in.

The Fox Family, and who they are.

note these new indexes;

Church Marriage Record
Date of Marriage: 28-Feb-1841
Parish / District: ST. JOHN'S County: Co. Limerick
Husband Wife
Name: Hugh Kennedy Jane Fox
Address: St. Johns Parish
Denomination: Church Of Ireland Church Of Ireland
Husband's Father Wife's Father
Name: Kennedy Fox
Address:
Denomination:
Husband's Mother Wife's Mother
Name:
Address:
Denomination:
Witness 1 Witness 2
Name:
Notes:

previous note re Ally Fox as informant;

Ally Fox Date of Baptism/Birth: 06-Jun-1810
Address: Old Chapel Lane Parish/District: ARDEE
Father: Alex Fox Mother: Ann Murphy
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: John McGee Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Ann Fay
Notes:
/ /

Possible Jane Fox Baptism?;

Jane Fox Date of Baptism/Birth: 08-Jan-1821
Address: Glassdoole Parish/District: KINGSTOWN
Father: James Fox Mother: Anty
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: William Oaks Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Mary Oaks
Notes:

This is just confusing:

Michael Fox Date of Baptism/Birth: 16-Oct-1839
Address: Princes Street Parish/District: FERMOY
Father: Thomas Fox Mother: Ally Moore
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: Michael Fox Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Mary Egan
Notes:
E PRIEST: REV DOCTOR BARRY PP

So stepping back a bit here is what I have on Andrew Kennedy and Mary N Carey, parents of Hugh;

Andrew KENNEDY-1[1, 2, 3, 4] was born in 1780 in Knocknamoheragh, Kilnarath, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2,
4]. He owned Sells his Property to Thomas Kennedy, and a Lees. goes on living at the property until
1855, when he moves into one of the outbuildings with his wife.Where he dies.. in 1845 in keeper,
Tipperary, Ireland.
Mary N CAREY daughter of Edward Carey and Catherine Gore[1, 2, 5, 6] was born about 1785 in Ashroe
near Banquay, Ireland[1, 2, 6]. She died before 1868 in on Bun Ciamalta, Tipperary, Ireland (Keeper)[1, 2,
5, 6].
Andrew KENNEDY and Mary N CAREY were married in Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2]. They had the following
children:
i. *Andrew KENNEDY[1, 2, 7] was born in 1801 in Knocknamerough, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2, 7].
He was baptized on 25 Mar 1801 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland (Sponsors Jeremy
Kennedy & Catharina Casey)[1, 2, 7, 8]. He married Margaret Corbett in 1829 in Kilcommon,
Tipperary, Ireland. He died on 07 Mar 1868 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland[9].
ii. *Michael Kennedy[1, 2, 10] was born in 1803 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2, 10].
He was baptized on 03 Jan 1803 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland (Sponsors Roger Kennedy
& Maria Kilmartin)[10].
iii. *Margaret Kennedy[1, 2, 11] was born in 1812 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2, 11].
She was baptized in 1813[1, 2]. She died about 1832 in Toorenbrien[1, 2, 11].
iv. Timothy KENNEDY[12] was born in 1814 in Knocknamoheragh,Tipperary, Ireland[12].
v. *Hugh KENNEDY[1, 2, 13, 14, 15] was born in 1814 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland[1, 2,
13, 14]. He was baptized on 19 Jun 1814 in Newport Church, Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary,
Ireland (Sponsors John Kennedy & Mary Kennedy)[1, 2, 13]. He lived in St Johns Parish,
Limerick in 1841 (Residence as listed on the marriage certificate of Hugh Kennedy)[16]. He
married Jane FOX in 1841 in St Johns Prish, Limerick, Ireland[17]. He lived in Cummergar,
Parish of Kilcommon. in 1841 (From the Baptisim record of Mary, the Last Kennedy of our
Clan to be born in Tipperary.)[13]. He lived in Ballycoshown,Tipperery,Ireland in 1843 (The
birht place named on Andrew Kennedys baptisim.)[18]. He lived in Dark Island, Limerick,
Ireland in 1845. He lived in Australia on 03 Jul 1858 (Free Pardon, Granted, as reported in
The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880))[1, 2, 13, 19]. He lived in Launceston,
Tasmania, Australia in 1866 (was still in Launceston when Andrew Kennedy married
Catherine Sullivan)[20]. He arrived in Victoria, Australia in 1875 (in 1889 from Hughs death
certificate, had been in Vic 14 years.)[1, 2, 13]. He died on 22 Sep 1889 in Holey Plains, Sale,
Victoria, Australia (Buried in Sale Cemetery)[13]. He owned As listed in the gippsland Tiems
bereavments, His funeral procesion was to start at his property and pass through Longford
at 12 in 1897 in "Coolongoola", Holey Plain, Rosedale, Victoria, Australia.
vi. *Catherine 'Kitty' Kennedy[1, 2, 4] was born about 1816 in Ireland[1, 2, 4]. She was baptized
on 12 May 1816 in Newport, Tipperary, Ireland (Sponsors Rev Thos Morrissy)[1, 2, 4, 21]. She
married John Keogh on 17 Oct 1834 in Newport Tipperary, Ireland (Witnesses Denis
Sullivan and Mary Morrisy E OSaugnasey Priest. Noted as 6 x Catherine Kennedy).
vii. *Jeremiah Kennedy[1, 2] was born in 1819 in Knocknamoheragh, Tipperary, Ireland
(Described on baptism record as Morough.)[1, 2]. He was baptized on 01 Jul 1819 in
Newport,Tipperary, Ireland (Sponsors John Kennedy & Mary Molony)[1, 2].
Page 1 of 3 Sunday, 15 January 2012 12:57:43 PM
Descendants of Andrew KENNEDY
Generation 1 (con't)
viii. Mary KENNEDY[22, 23] was born in 1821 in Morough, Tipperary, Ireland.. She was baptized
on 06 Jan 1822 in Newport, Tipperary Ireland[24].

So the extended family as described in the book, From Bun Ciamalta, and other research describing this andrews parents ong Andrew, and MArgaret Cormick;

Long Andrew Kennedy-1[1, 2, 3, 4, 5] was born about 1736 in Limerick/Tipperary[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. He lived in
Toorataggart, Ireland in 1756 (Inherited from James Berkery around 1756 and held town lands at
Knocknamohergh & Killeen, County Tipperary.)[3]. He lived in Toor, Ireland in 1802 (Held property at
Toor, Keeper, Gleann, where he employed Cliffords as dairymen and herdsmen, and Killeen.)[1, 3, 5].
Margaret Cormick daughter of Michael? Cormick and Margaret?[1, 2] was born about 1741 in Ireland[1,
2].
Long Andrew Kennedy and Margaret Cormick married. They had the following children:
i. Unknown Kennedy[2] was born about 1779 in Knocknamoheragh[2].
ii. Andrew KENNEDY[1, 2, 6, 7] was born in 1780 in Knocknamoheragh, Kilnarath, Tipperary,
Ireland[1, 6, 7]. He owned Sells his Property to Thomas Kennedy, and a Lees. goes on living
at the property until 1855, when he moves into one of the outbuildings with his wife.Where
he dies.. in 1845 in keeper, Tipperary, Ireland. He married Mary N CAREY in Tipperary,
Ireland[1, 6].
iii. John KENNEDY[2, 8] was born about 1790 in Knocknamoheragh?[2, 8].
iv. William Kennedy[2, 3, 4] was born about 1792 in Knocknamoheragh[2, 3, 4]. He lived in
Keeper, (Bun Ciamalta), Tipperary, Ireland about 1802 (William got Bun Ciamalta, Which
was later divided between his 3 children. William Denis and a sister Mary, who married
Matt Fogarty.)[3].
v. Philip Kennedy[2, 9] was born about 1794 in Knocknamoheragh[2, 9]. He lived in Garavane,
Limerick, Ireland[10].
vi. Ellen Kennedy[2, 5] was born about 1797 in Tipperary[2, 5]. She married Charles Ryan
between 1837-1841 in Knockfune?[5].
Sources

Note there is a mention in the book, of the writings of Archbishop Butlers visits to the region, regarding Berkery, and his Wife Mary Kennedy. I note that with a subscription the catholic church has a rendition of theses works, which is available online, need to get this work and reveiw it to try to dicern who mary Kennedy was, and why Long Andrew ended up with her land upon the death of her Husband?

"We in the Archdiaces of Cashel and Emily are very fortunate of haveing the handwriten reports of Archbishop Butlers visit to the different parishes of his dioceese in 1758.
They were published in recent years. In the account of his visit to the parish of Kiloscully-Newport (the one RC Parish since 1752). FR William Kennedy PP gave a lot of space for the Will of James Birhagra, (Berkery)of Tooratagart, whos wife was Mary Kennedy. Witnesses to the will were. David Brazil, Denis Ryan and Denis KEnnedy.

Note previous correspondence regarding naming pattern and the variation that has first born sons alternating bewtween William and Denis, rather than the fathers name?

So will now try to uncover a little more about this phillip, and these misterious children.

Patrick Lawerence and Eliza. These names are more associated with other Clans. Touhy is mentioned along the way. Hmm

Regarding Phillip Kennedy, possible convict (Hughs Uncle, not Brother as previously stated).

Catherine Kenedy Date of Baptism/Birth: 14-Jan-1815
Address: Not Recorded Parish/District: NEWPORT
Father: Philip Kenedy Mother: Margaret Tuohy
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: Js White Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Gillon Contlon
Notes:
[PRIEST NR] E * CATH E ** PHIL E *** MGT

This could be him, the notes would suggest that E (phillip) would have a grandmother Margaret? this is possible

When Jane Fox/Kennedy travels to Australia she has three other children. Patrick B 1840. Lawerence Born B 1842, and Eliza B 1844. These children must have been born in Tipperary, todays focus .

Anyway thanks again for your continued interest, a strange platform, but maybee these posts will provoke like minded contributions.

Regards,

PAul Barrett

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 3:27AM GMT
Hi Dave,

just got my copy of "archbishops Butlers visitation book"
that might be an interesting read with any luck

PB
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions