Search for content in message boards

Wilson-Heffernan in Tullaroan

Wilson-Heffernan in Tullaroan

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 12:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Heffernan, Fitzpatrick
Hi,
I'm looking for information on the Wilson family from Tullaroan. Father, Michael, was a blacksmith. We think he was married to a Catharine Heffernan. They had about 12 children, some who went to NYC and some who went to Australia. The girls who went to NYC were Jane, Anna, Mary, Margaret, and Nellie (or Ellen). Son William stayed in Tullaroan to take over blacksmith shop. Daughter Hannah never married.

Jane immigrated in 1887 and married John Fitzpatrick from Thurles, Kilkenny, in 1889. They had 3 children: Willie (died at 7), Joseph William, and Margaret. John died sometime after 1910. Jane died sometime after 1930. She lived in Mt. Vernon, NY at the time of her death.

Re: Wilson-Heffernan in Tullaroan

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 5:25PM GMT
Hello shilbrecht,

I found the civil record birth indexes for four children of Michael Wilson and Catherine Heffernan at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Tipperary (North).

Before you start searching for indexes at the IFHF you’ll first need to establish a free account. Indexes are also free to search, but it costs 5 Euros to download individual birth/baptism, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions of the records you are interested in. I’ll have more information a little later about how to pay less than 5 Euros per transcription.

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

All of the births for the Wilson children were recorded in Littleton, Tipperary. The births are for William (1864); Hannah (1865); Ellen (1868); and Anne (1869).

The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Wilson (plus variants) William 1864 Parish: LITTLETON (CR)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
Surname: Wilson
First Name: William
Father's Surname: Wilson
Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname: Heffernan
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1864

Parish/District: LITTLETON (CR)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Wilson (plus variants) Hannah 1865 Parish: LITTLETON (CR)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

First Name: Hannah

Year: 1865

____

1 match for the search criteria: Wilson (plus variants) Ellen 1868 Parish: LITTLETON (CR)

First Name: Ellen

Year: 1868

____

1 match for the search criteria: Wilson (plus variants) Anne 1869 Parish: LITTLETON (CR)

First Name: Anne

Year: 1869

____

Ordering the individual birth transcription from four indexes would cost you 20 Euros. But you buy all four transcriptions from one index for 12 Euros. To do this access the index just as you see it below, without including the first names of the children or their years of birth:

4 matches for the search criteria: Wilson (plus variants) Parish: LITTLETON (CR)
The cost to view the full details of the 4 records that you have not yet viewed is €12.00

First Name:

Year:

____

I looked for the marriage index for Michael Wilson and Catherine Heffernan at the IFHF website, but didn’t find it.

Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 7:53PM GMT
Hi Dave,
Thanks for all the research you did on my behalf. I am wondering about my great-grandma because she is not one of the four children listed. There were several other children who are also missing.

Her name was Jane. According to the 1900 U.S. Census, she was born in March of 1866. Supposedly, there were around 12 children. Her known siblings were: Margaret, William, Hannah, Martin, Ellen, Anna, Nellie, Mary. We know for sure that Jane, Anna, Nellie, Mary, and Margaret came to the U.S. William stayed in Ireland and continued blacksmithing. Not sure about Martin. He many have ended up out West. That's the rumor but no facts. There were other brothers too, whose names we don't know, who went to Australia. The dates you listed for the four children are the same ones I have, so they are probably the same family. The Irish records are so haphazard, though, that it's hard to be sure.

Anyway, I will keep looking. One day, I might break down and pay to see the information when I know with more certainty that this is the right family.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to look this up for me! Thank you!!!

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 7:53PM GMT
Hi Dave,
Thanks for all the research you did on my behalf. I am wondering about my great-grandma because she is not one of the four children listed. There were several other children who are also missing.

Her name was Jane. According to the 1900 U.S. Census, she was born in March of 1866. Supposedly, there were around 12 children. Her known siblings were: Margaret, William, Hannah, Martin, Ellen, Anna, Nellie, Mary. We know for sure that Jane, Anna, Nellie, Mary, and Margaret came to the U.S. William stayed in Ireland and continued blacksmithing. Not sure about Martin. He many have ended up out West. That's the rumor but no facts. There were other brothers too, whose names we don't know, who went to Australia. The dates you listed for the four children are the same ones I have, so they are probably the same family. The Irish records are so haphazard, though, that it's hard to be sure.

Anyway, I will keep looking. One day, I might break down and pay to see the information when I know with more certainty that this is the right family.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to look this up for me! Thank you!!!

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 9:35PM GMT
You're welcome.

One of the reasons that only four children have been found to date is it's possible the IFHF hasn't compiled the births and baptisms for the churches and districts surrounding the place, or places where the Wildons had lived.

You may want to check back with the IFHF from time to time to see if any more records have been added.

Best of Luck.

Dave

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 9:51AM GMT
Hello. I am originally from near the village of Littleton, Co. Tipperary. There are Wilson's interred in Ballymoreen graveyard, which is just south of Littleton village.
The memorial reads:
Erected by HANNAH, JOSEPH and WILLIAM WILSON
in loving memory of their father
MICHAEL WILSON, Graigue died 10th October 1901 aged 78 years.
Also their mother CATHERINE, nee HEFFERNAN, died 2nd April 1911 aged 87 years.
And their brothers DANIEL and JAMES who died young.
Erected by HANNAH WILSON DOHERTY and children in memory of her parents
WILLIAM and MARY ANN WILSON and their children.
Rest in peace.

I have attached an image of this memorial.

Tullaroan is in Co. Kilkenny, not Co. Tipperary. Just advising on this point in that you are not chasing up a blind alley following Tipperary connections, instead of Kilkenny.
Regards
Pat
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 12:24PM GMT
You have brought me to tears and with one email answered so many questions! I cannot begin to thank you enough! I knew about Hannah and William but not Joseph or Daniel or James. I knew of the other sisters, Jane, Mary, Margaret, Anna, Nellie, all of whom came to America, but who left Ireland behind (too painful?)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for opening up a whole new avenue for me to travel down!

The photo of the memorial is deeply appreciated as well. Thank you for taking the time to go there, write it down, and email it to me! Your kindness is deeply appreciated!

Best,
Sharron

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 3:51PM GMT
Hi Sharron,

You're very welcome. If you go to the National Archives of Ireland website, and click on the link for the 1901 census returns, enter Wilson in the surname prompt, and Kate in the forename. For the DED enter Moycarky, and you will get two results, one for Kate aged 72, and one for her grand-daughter Kate, aged 9. You will be able to print off the census sheet.
Anyhow, Kate by this time is a widow, the census being taken on 31 March 1901, which suggests to me that Michael may have died in October 1900 as opposed to 1901, as it appears on the headstone. This type of error I have come across before.
Do the same for the 1911 census, but this time use Michael Wilson, and enter Moycarry for the DED....the transcriber erred in this respect. William's occupation is recorded as a "smith", so the family tradition continues.

Regards,
Pat

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 5:21PM GMT
Hi Pat,

I had seen the census before and was sure that these were my people, but there were still so many unanswered questions. One thing I did notice is how many children William and Mary Ann had and then had die. In 1911, she was listed as "insane." I would have been too, I think!

My grandfather, who was the grandson of Michael Wilson, went back to Ireland in the 1930s to visit. I have a picture that he took of the Wilson blacksmith shop and house. It is on my Ancestry page.

It was also our understanding that all of the girls except Hannah came to America, and most of the boys went to Australia. I can't imagine my family scattering to the wind like that.

My great-grandmother, Jane Wilson Fitzpatrick, was a force to be reckoned with from what we can tell. She also lost a child at a young age (Willie, 7 yrs, died of rheumatic heart) and her daughter died in childbirth. Jane didn't talk much about Ireland, so we don't have many family stories. Plus, my grandfather, Joe Fitzpatrick, moved to Kentucky when he was in his thirties, and you know what distance does.

Anyway, thank you so much, again, for the photograph. We have little else of our ancestors, and I treasure this!

By chance, are you related to the family?

Best,
Sharron

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 7:49PM GMT
Hi Sharron,

No, I'm not related. I was just browsing the message boards this morning using Littleton as a key word search, and came across your post. The images I posted were old, and from a word document file, hence the quality isn't great. I was going to take a better picture this afternoon, but it's raining heavily so it'll be some other day when I take it, and I'll post it up.

Silly of me not to consider that you had seen the census returns. If you don't mind I'll keep rooting around and you never know I might come across some other lead.... but I won't promise anything.

Regards,
Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions