Search for content in message boards

Emily (Hughes) Shinn

Emily (Hughes) Shinn

Posted: 18 Jun 2010 2:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
My name is Nelson Bennett IV. I am the great grandson of Luetta (Shinn) Pinkstaff (daughter of Emily Hughes and Elias Shinn). Emily died of the H1N1 flu epidemic at the age of 94 in Pinkstaff Illinois after nursing the entire family through the illness. I have several pictures of her. My brother (David S Bennett) has done extensive genealogical research on the family. Emily was an "Apprentice Doctor". She provided medical care to many in her community and was frequently called "Doctor" by those she helped (although she was not formally educated as an M.D). Emily and Elias were from Zanesville OH and are buried in the East Pinkstaff cemetery in Pinkstaff Illinois.

Re: Emily (Hughes) Shinn

Posted: 18 Jun 2010 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: Shinn
Hello Nelson, My name is Darlene Steffens and Elias Shinn was my second great-grand Uncle. I too have been conducting extensive research on descendants of Samuel Shinn, who I believe was Elias's father, although the famous Shinn book doesn't make that connection. I am the 3rd great-granddaughter of Samuel through his son Amos Wesley Shinn (Elias's next older brother). I agree that Emily and Elias married in Ohio as you say, although I only had Morgan County and they had a large family of 11 children where your Mary Luetta was their youngest. I would be interested in learning more about Emily's "doctoring" story. Do you perhaps have her obituary? Any information about Elias that you may have is also of interest to me. Would you happen to have his obituary? I have to offer a slight disagreement with where you say they are buried. The book "Cemeteries of Lawrence County, Illinois" by Bessie Irene Black, pub 1976 has it that Elias, Emily and their youngest son Charles are all buried in the Otterbein Cemetery, Lawrence Co., Illinois. Would we have different/conflicting sources? I am excited about possibly exchanging information with you and your brother. My research has lead me to learn that a number of Elias and Emily's offspring were interesting prople indeed. My personal email is dsteff4246@hotmail.com. I welcome you to write.

Posted: 18 Jun 2010 8:41PM GMT
About the cemetery......I've been to all those cemeteries, as I've been to Pinkstaff more times than I can remember (my father and his sisters spent every summer in Pinkstaff as children) and I'm in touch with the family. I've been to Emily Hugh's grave many times. I thought it was in the East Pinkstaff cemetery, but I can check. Many cemeteries in Pinkstaff were severely vadalized within the last 10 years. Many formerly marked graves are now unmarked. I can check with my cousin Donald Davis who farms my land in Pinkstaff to verify where Emily is buried. I was intrigued once to notice during a brief trip through Zanesville OH that there is a Shinn street there. I have a piece of furniture which once belonged to Emily Hughes...it has a label on the back from the Ritterskamp Furniture Company in Zanesville. My grandmother (who was 24 when Emily Hughes died) was quite close to her and relayed most of the stories to me. My grandmother died when I was 24.

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 5:47PM GMT
Surnames: Shinn
What we may have here is a case of incorrect source material. I know that occasionally happens. I have only verbal confirmation from a volunteer who told me what the book had to offer. I haven't personally seen this book. I have never been to the Lawrence County area either so I appreciate your personal experience and want to thank you for sharing. You are lucky to have stories to share. My branch of the family moved West ages ago, taking little to no memorabilia items with them. You are lucky to have that piece of furniture, pictures, etc. Those who have handed-down family bibles, diaries and the like are also so very lucky. If you check with your cousin regarding Emily and Elias Shinn's grave, a photo of any remaining grave marker would be wonderful.

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 3:16AM GMT
Hi there, We corresponded a while back about Emily Hughes Shinn (my grandmother's grandmother). You were correct about her burial site. Please let me know if you have any other questions about her. As I said, I have a few things that actually belonged to her. Do you have any pictures of her or Elias Shinn? I have photos of Emily at various ages. I also have a pair of pastel portraits that were done of both Emily and Elias from life sittings.
Sincerely,
Nelson Bennett, IV

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Shinn, Hughes
Hello,

It is so good to hear from you again. Thank you for confirming the burial location for Emily and Elias. Have you noticed that a photo of their headstone is now on Find-a-Grave? I would be very pleaded, thrilled actually, to have a photo or a copy of the portraits you have. Would also like a copy of their headstone that I can add to my family tree. You can send whatever you would like to share to my email account at dsteff4246@hotmail.com. Also do you know of any family bible or other record that ties the relationship of Elias to his father Samuel Shinn?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions