Search for content in message boards

Delaware Land Records - Civil Engineer Question

Delaware Land Records - Civil Engineer Question

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
I know I have seen this somewhere in the discussion of Delaware Land Records but can't find the thread for it.

When you have Jones and Warren, Civil Engineers, Do you consider this a company or do we key blank Jones and Blank Warren?

Charlotte

Re: Delaware Land Records - Civil Engineer Question

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 3:44AM GMT
Hi Charlotte,

That question is on the discussion page of wiki but unanswered.

I would key them as it doesn't say "& Co" etc, it is their job.

See if someone else agrees.

Kerrie.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 3:48AM GMT
Thanks Kerrie. I will wait for more people to chime in here. I have been keying them but then started questioning myself. Didn't want to be adding stuff in that wasn't right.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 4:42AM GMT
If you're waiting for me... All i can say is i havn't been working that project.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 5:50AM GMT
That's a tricky one. I have keyed and reviewed quite a bit on this project and thankfully, that example does not come up often. I don't know if I'm correct in my thinking, but I don't key such an example of civil engineers. If it were one name, even if only the surname was listed and it said civil engineer, I would key it. Something about two surnames listed together strikes me as a business. I did run across an example today which ran something like "adjoining the estate of Bates and Curry" and I keyed that so go figure!

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:25PM GMT
I sent this question to Anna for clarification. Will post when I have the official word. I will also update the wiki discussion board too.

Charlotte

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 2:16PM GMT
The official answer to this is: "Even with company names that have the names of individuals included in them, you shouldn't be keying any company names. If you believe that to be a company name, whether or not it has the names of people on it, don't key it in."

The key here is "If you believe that to be a company name". I feel that partnership's are company names and we should not be keying them in. Does everyone agree with that theory?

However, we still should be keying individual Civil Engineers like: Tom Jones, Civil Engineer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic