Search for content in message boards

Folan/Green- Letterard, Carna Roundstone

Folan/Green- Letterard, Carna Roundstone

Posted: 24 May 2012 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
i am looking for any information about Folans/Greens in Letterard. The church is in Carna. Specifically looking for information aboout Michael Folan who maried Honor Green in 1868 in chapel in Carna. I have their marriage info. Their fathers were Mark Green and Thady Folan. I know Michael and Honor had a daughter Bridget born in 1872 who immigrated to Boston, Mass. at the turn of the century.

Re: Folan/Green- Letterard, Carna Roundstone

Posted: 24 May 2012 7:01PM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2012 7:08PM GMT
some siblings for Bridget from extracted records on FamilySearch :

Honor Folan, 21 Jun 1869, Roundstone No. 2 (district) , Co. Galway
John Folan, 21 Jun 1870, Roundstone No. 2, Co. Galway
(Bridget 1872)
Michael Folan, 07 Apr 1873, Roundstone No. 2, Co. Galway
Mary Folan, 20 Oct 1875, Co. Galway
Joseph Folan, 21 Jul 1877, Co. Galway
Anne Folan, 09 May 1879, Letterard, Co. Galway

The parents, Michael and Honor, would have been born before the start of civil records in 1864, so you would need to check into church records for baptisms. The marriage cert should show places of residences for them at the time, which should help figuring out which parishes to start the search in.

Marriages generally took place in the bride's current parish - so Carna is the place to start the search for your Green family, although she may have originally been from somewhere else.

Shane

Posted: 24 May 2012 7:22PM GMT
The civil parish for Carna and Roundstone etc is Moyrus which is also the name of the RC parish. Baptism and marriage records for the parish go back to 1852, so unfortunately probably not far back enough to show details of a baptism for Michael or Honor.

A film of the parish records seems to be available though FamilySearch/LDS - the reference are : 1279212 items 8-10

Shane

Posted: 29 May 2012 12:34PM GMT
Thanks. Yes, I had ordered the LDS records and am just waiting for them to come in. Really hoping I'll find someone else researching this family who found a way to go beyond the LDS records.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 2:00PM GMT
Surnames: FOLAN, GREEN
Sheila,

I have a bit more on your Folan / Green family, but it is difficult for me to respond in this forum. If you can send me an e-mail at daveriley1@aol.com, I will send you what I have.

Dave Riley
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
USA

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 3:45PM GMT
I do not know about the Folans,but my grandfather was Michael Greene,born approximately 1888. My grandmother was Margaret Jennings,also from Carna,born in 1892.They both emigrated to Boston,and were married I think in 1916 (my dad was born in 1917). I don't have a lot of information myself but I found on the 1901 census that their were Folan's and Greene's living on the same street.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 5:47PM GMT
Surnames: Folan green
My great grandfather, Joseph Foley (Folan) settled in Pittsburgh PA 1895 or so. married Anne Connelly (bIRE 1872) 1899. Joseph's father was Michael Folan his mother was Barbara Green. Family search records indicate he had a sister Barbara b.1870 Roundstone and a brother Michael b. 1866 Roundstone to the same parents. It seems that the Roundstone area was rich with Folan and Green families which intermarried frequently.
Any help in providing more info on the Folan/ Green families would be greatly appreciated.
Rich Tenney
Rich.tenney@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions