Search for content in message boards

Kennedy, in Borrisokane, Tipperary

Kennedy, in Borrisokane, Tipperary

Posted: 7 Apr 2007 5:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Oct 2011 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: O'Meara
My greatgrandfather was Bartholomew Kennedy born in Borrisokane, Tipperary in 1854 of parents James (b.1810) and Mary Mara, Or O'Meara (b.1814). There is at least one other son, James born in 1851. Does anyone have any connection with Kennedys in Borrisokane, Tipperary? Thanks!
Cathy

Re: Kennedy, in Borrisokane, Tipperary

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 1:33PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 9 Oct 2011 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy Carroll
Noticed your interest in Kennedy and Borrisokane. Any connection with Kennedy/Carroll marriage about 1840.
Regards
Paul

Posted: 23 Oct 2011 4:26PM GMT
Sorry, I have no information about Kennedys in Borrisokane but a great great great grandmother was born there, Nora Cadwell who married William Carroll around 1810 or so. The daughter, Jane was born in Annagh a few miles to the northwest so it may be the same Carroll family.
josio from Philadelphia

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 4:20PM GMT
i have a Malachy Kennedy born around 1827-1830 in Borrisokane. He married a Mary o'Brien. That's all i know.

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 10:35PM GMT
Well Borrisokane is a small area. Look in the Griffiths valuation for all those names Kennedy, Carroll, O'Brien. My husband and I are going there in the summer. I hope to get more info while there. I will post any good sources. josio

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 11:29PM GMT
*My first posting regarding my Kennedy family was 2007. Since then I have more information. Last poster Paul, might find the last Kennedy family of interest because it lists Honor Carroll as a baptism sponsor. My ggrandfather's parents were James and Mary Mara Kennedy. They had nine children each of which I have only the baptism info: John born 1834, Not Recorded 1835, Anne 1839, James 1841, Mary 1844, Catherine 1848, Patrick 1851, Bartholomew 1854 (my ggrandfather), Cornelius 1857. Sponsor last names include: Cahalin, Cahalan, White, Mara, Kennedy, Brown.
* Another Kennedy family from Coorevin, Borrisokane is Bartholomew and Ellen Dwan (Dunne?)married in 1856. Children were: John 1856, Philip 1858, Michael 1859, Anne 1861, Judy 1864, Mary 1866, Sarah 1868, James 1871. Sponsor last names include Cleary, Gleeson, White, Dwan, Kennedy.
* Another Kennedy family from Coorevin, Borrisokane is John and Mary Kennedy who have 3 children listed: Hugh 1830, Michael 1833, Bartholomew 1835. Sponsor names include Honor Carroll as well as Kennedy.

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 4:10PM GMT
I too have a connection to Kennedys in Borrisokane, Tipperary.
John Kennedy and Mary Ryder Kennedy, with children
Anne, James, William, Mary and John, that I know of.

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:15AM GMT
Did you get any info in Ireland? I have a ggrandfather and grandmother from that area. Malachy Kennedy and Mary O'Brien. I have not been able to confirm parents. Thanks

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 4:18PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy
We did not find any new information except verification of where they all lived. We saw the family (Carrolls) in the graveyard at Loorha and our Stanleys in the Aglish village graveyard (Borrisokane). My great great grandfather died in Ballyquirke in Borrisokane. We could not find the house as it's a townland area not a village--out in the country where most of the populace was. It was all very moving. In the tiny village of Loorha there are two ancient priories with graveyards. The ruins are beautiful Gothic abbeys. Nearby is a Kennedy Castle, Redwood or Caslain Rua in the Irish. This is located north of Borrisokane in the Loorha Parish. This area was the Kennedy chieftains territory in the old days. Our Carrolls were also chieftains but from further east where they had been pushed out of their terrioty and numerous castles. It is a beautiful but still very remote area with narrow and sometimes dangerous roads--almost had a head on with someone passing on a curve. However it's worth a visit. Stay in Terryglass a beautiful old village on the Shannon.

I have also done research in Dublin. If you know the village or church there are records and lovely people who will direct your research into them. All free at the Public Records of Ireland located in the center of Dublin.

I was given the name of a researcher in the Tipperary area by a women in the church office at the RC church in Birr. I'll dig it out if you want it. I thought I'd use her for these elusive ancestors that I cannot seem to find.

Well, I hope this all helps a bit on your search. Mary Jo

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 9:00PM GMT
Thanks for answering. Did you happen to get a picture of the Kennedy castle? Short of a trip to Ireland what do you find the most helpful way to get info about that area?
Pam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic