Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2012 will not open

Family Tree Maker 2012 will not open

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been having the same problem. I am running FTM 2012. It installed and worked for over a month. I am running XP SP3 and am logged in as administrator.
When I start FTM is says the previous run was not shut down properly and that I need to compact. Then is just disappears. Nothing in the Task Manager. I tried repairing, reinstalling, rebooting and bells and candles. No joy.
I went to a second computer, installed FTM 2012, opened the database remotely, compacted and exeted. No problem. But still no joy on the original machine.
I uninstalled a previous version of FTM (actually FTW 16 which I still use occasionally) using both Windows uninstaller and Revo, and uninstalled FTM2012. Reinstalled 2012. This time it came up OK but it wanted to install an update which I did not do. I did not install the update.) Then I closed and reopened FTM and installed the update. After the update, it came up again, but said the previous run had not been closed down properly and I needed to compact. Déjà vu all over again. But it came up and seems to be working. Of course I have wasted one of the two allowed installs.
Before all this collapsed originally I noticed several ooddities. In Family view, the little lines connecting ancestors and children disappeared. So did the little arrows to the left of the children. And in Web Search, I would mergedata, for example showing a parent, but then in Family view, the parent wasn’t there.

Overall I would say Borland/FTM has some problems to fix. This particular one seems to have been going on since at least March last year. Overall this is a great product, but perhaps because there is little competition they are resting on their laurels.

Re: Family Tree Maker 2012 will not open

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 6:20PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2012 6:32PM GMT
When this happens, it is a problem with your data file not the program itself.

Have your restarted (shut down not sleep or hibernation) and then started up the machine?

I think you also need to install all patches when you are asked to, as some are required and if you do not, then the program will NOT start.

You stated that this problem has been going on since last March, but 2012 was not released until last November?

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 6:34PM GMT
I am now having the same issue too. FTM starts to open, but them closes. Splash screen doesn't show. I've also tried to open differnet data files directly from explorer with no luck. Nothing has changed on my machine since yesterday.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 6:36PM GMT
What did Borland have to do with it?

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 7:13PM GMT
It seems to be an issue with my windows profile. If I log on as a different user, FTM2012 opens. Application Log shows a .net exception and closes the app. FTM2011 opens fine. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 8:06PM GMT
Borland was the publisher back with version 3 (~1994).

Regards,

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 10:23PM GMT
If it's a data [roblem then why did it work same data on another machine?
Yes, I didn't just sleep it, I rebooted it. Eg, shut down, [oser off, then restart.
I install all patches when they are called for.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 10:25PM GMT
No idea how to fix that. I only log on as one person, same person, administrator. I still had the problem until I spent 10 hours rebooting, reinstalling reairing, etc. The uninstall of all old versions and reinstall seems to have worked. At least for today.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 10:29PM GMT
I believe Borland now owns Family Tree? If not, I apologize to Borland and put it on Family Tree Maker, whever owns it.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 10:31PM GMT
Since March 2011..
Yes, I know 2012 came out after that. Look for the thread by the same name as this, but with 2011 instead of 2012. I didn't bother looking back further.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions