Search for content in message boards

John W. Sanders, War of 1812, South Carolina

John W. Sanders, War of 1812, South Carolina

Posted: 18 Oct 2008 11:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sanders
The Sanders Cemetery in the Kyles Community, Jackson County, Alabama, was dedicated as a cemetery by Jesse Elbert Sanders (1831-1906). It's a small cemetery and most of the people buried there are close relatives. One of the burials,though, seems rather puzzling:

Sanders, John W.,War of 1812, Pvt. in Captain Clement's Company South Carolina militia. Died 15 Feb, 1815 and buried Sanders Cemetery, Jackson County, AL. He was married to Nancy Griffin 15 March, 1808 in the Spartanburg District of South Carolina. Marked by the Thomas Gold Chapter A.S. Daughters of 1812 in February, 1960.(From http://alabamatrailswar1812.com/Veterans%20Buried/S.htm)

According to Jane Nichols, who provided an online transcription of the Sanders cemetery at Kyles, John W. Sanders is not buried in the cemetery: "He died and was buried in SC. Someone had a headstone put there for him in the 1960s. I don't know the relationship of him to this family."

It seems improbable that he would have been buried on the property forty or fifty years before it was donated as a cemetery, but there must be a story about why someone erected a monument to him in this cemetery. Does anyone have further information about this John W. Sanders?

Re: John W. Sanders, War of 1812, South Carolina

Posted: 19 Oct 2008 2:19PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2008 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: sanders
Good Morning Gary,

I checked findagrave for the cemetery, and while it is listed at: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=...

John W. has not been memorialized there. I suggest, that you do so and request a photo. that might (?) give some clues. The only Sanders memorialized there is Talley, Kitty Nellie Mae Sanders. So you might make memorials to any Sanders you know of there also. There is another Sanders Cemetery in Skyline with two Procters listed, but no Sanders. I notied there are Procters at the Kyles location also.

Just for info, I have found some of our relatives at SANDERS (MILL CREEK) CEMETERY in Skyline (different from the other), and have requested the memorials be transfered to me, but the current owner is recalcitrant and I have a request to by pass him in to FAG. That takes months, so I wait.

Chuck

Posted: 19 Oct 2008 2:28PM GMT
Hi Again Gary, I forgot to mention, that John W., died about ten days before my GGG Grandfather David, who supposedly died of "Camp Fever" or as result of wounds in New Orleans (War of 1812). I have been unsuccessful in finding his grave, as he was probably buried in a mass grave in New Orleans area. Could that be the same fate of John W. and he is not buried in S.C.? That might explain the memorial stone.

Chuck

Posted: 19 Oct 2008 4:28PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2008 6:58PM GMT
Hi Chuck,

Here are the online transcriptions of the three Sanders cemeteries in Jackson County:

Sanders Cemetery, Kyles Community:
http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/sanders1...

Sanders MillCreek Cemetery, Skyline:
http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/sanders2...

Sanders Cemetery, near Skyline on Highway 79:
http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/sanders3...

The third cemetery is small, less than 20 graves. It has no sign and one can easily miss it while driving past. The second cemetery, Sanders Mill Creek, is the largest of the three and has graves of many of our Sanders and related families.

Cemetery no. 1 is on land dedicated by Jesse Elbert Sanders. The mystery is why anyone would erect a monument there to someone who has no known connection to our Sanders and who died decades before the first burials were made in the cemetery.

Or,is it possibly that John W. Sanders of South Carolina died in what was to later become Jackson County and that his relatives, not knowing exactly where he died, thought it appropriate to erect a monument to him in a cemetery where other Sanders were also buried? This is just speculation on my part, of course.
--Gary

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 6:20PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2009 7:09PM GMT
Your group was quite right in commenting re. date discrepency in posting for John Sanders. Several others
also have commented. The February 1815 is the date his
service ended. He appears to have come to Jackson County
later. It might be helpful to check census records. I doubt that either he or his wife Mary lived until 1851 because I could not find a pension application. 1851 was the year when they began offerring pensions to 1812 veterans and their widows. The SC service record checks out. The record I have indicates that the Thomas Gold Chapter of the Alabama Society of Daughters of 1812 received a request from a family member to dedicate a marker in the Sanders Cemetery and did so in or about Feb of 1860, the date given for the report (filed Feb, 1960) The member of the Thomas Gold chapter who is responsible for filing the report is a Mrs. Jesse Proctor of Scottsboro, Jackson County, AL. I have no way of determining whether she was related to the Sanders family. I would think that someone in the Sanders family submitted John W. Sander's record to the VA (a precondition of the VA providing a Veterans Marker) and asked the Daughters of 1812 to mark and dedicate the grave. Unfortunately, there is no other record, nor anyone we can ask. The Thomas Gold Chapter of Daughters of 1812 no longer exists. It members appear to have died out or off without their being able to interest younger people in the community in becoming members. That present day Sanders may not be able to identify John W.Sanders or determine any relationship does not surprise me. I am assuming that this may be the case -that someone may have asked current family members associated with the cemetery if they knew anything about a John Sanders buried in the cemetery and received a negative. I have learned from experience that the past is often forgotten as also are those whose past actions made what we have in the present possible. In many families no one can go beyond identifying grandparents and MAYBE a couple of their great-grandparents. I will be correct the entry on the web page to indicate that John Sander's service ended in February of 1815. At that time the Battle of New Orleans was over and Sander's having been killed by anyone would be extremely unlikely. Hope this helps. Please address any additional questions or comments to me to the address given on my alabamatrailswar1812.com web site: mshabo@yahoo.com.

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 7:07PM GMT
Correction to original post: The period of John Sander's service from 15 September 1814 to 15 Feb 1815 would be typical of the 3 and 6 months enlistments required at this time. The Battle of New Orleans would have occurred afterward, but not while Sanders was in service.

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 1:26PM GMT
The Battle of New Orleans occurred on Jan. 8, 1815. If John W. Sanders time of service was Sep. 15, 1814 to Feb. 15, 1815, he would have been in service at the time of battle.

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 1:56PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders, Watson, Chappell, STancil, O'Neal, Hines, Clark(e), EVans
He was probably sent back their from the war of Raisin in Minnesota or the near midwest, many people were destroyed that fought against Great Britain.

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 9:17PM GMT
This is a follow-up to an old post, but I would like to mention that I have a Find-A-Grave memorial to John W. Sanders which contains information from Nancy Griffin Sanders' pension application:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=63...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions