Search for content in message boards

Ross Cemetery

Ross Cemetery

Diane Hancock (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2001 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Farmer and Roberts
I am looking for a website that may have the listings of burials at Ross Cemetery or possibly someone that does look ups. Any help is so appreciated! Thanks

Re: Ross Cemetery

Posted: 24 Aug 2001 10:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Aug 2001 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: FERGUSON IVEY TABOR BERRY UMPHREY JOLLY EBBS POOL
The museum in the courthouse basement in Baird has an index to the burials in Ross Cemetery. I visited the museum recently and copied the index. Give me the names you are looking for and I'll try to help you.

Re: Ross Cemetery

Posted: 8 Aug 2009 11:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Banks, Bowlus
Could you ck the Index for Ross Cem for a Henry Ira Banks
HI Banks... please
he is suppose to be buried there.

Henry Ira Banks b Feb 17 1838 NY d July 24 1889 Baird TX bur Ross Cem
son/o Nathan O’Banks/Oyseterbanks & Cynthia Irish b 7 SEP 1805 CT living 1870 Salina KS d 1877

he married

9Emma Bowlus b Apr 25 1860 Sandusky Co OH on her dad’s father in law’s farm living 1940 CA no dod for now (William Henry Bowlus & Barbary Ann Beck, Jacob Bowlus Jr1795 & Sarah LNunk, Rev Jacob Bowlus Sr1760 & Mary Beckenbaugh, Nicholas Bowlus1730 & wife Unk, ImmigrantHenry Bowlus 1700 Germany & wife Unk came to America w/4 sons)

He md a Tilla LNU first
then he married Emma Bowlus 1888 in Salina KS-no kids
then they returned to TX and he dies a yr later aft they md. I am not sure where Emma is buried but in 1940 I know she was alive and living in California. Although the Bowlus family was good about burying their folks at Ross so they could have done that with her so she might be there too esp if she is named in his 1889 probate, thats what I am thinking, if you find her there let me know please thanks kindly...I am related maternally.

[hes married to Tilla but no kids]
1880 United States Federal Census about Henry Banks
Name: Henry Banks Home in 1880: Pleasant Valley, Saline, Kansas Age: 42 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838 Birthplace: New York Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head) Spouse's Name: Tilla Father's birthplace: Canada Mother's birthplace: New York Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male
Household Members: Name Age
Henry Banks 42
Tilla Banks 48
Theadore Siffens 23 no relation, laborer

1880 United States Federal Census about Tilla Banks
Name: Tilla Banks Home in 1880: Pleasant Valley, Saline, Kansas Age: 48 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1832 Birthplace: Pennsylvania Relation to Head of Household: Wife Spouse's Name: Henry Father's birthplace: Tennessee Mother's birthplace: Tennessee

this is his probate-he and Emma Bowlus had no children
but he did have siblings in the area and other relatives.
Oddly in 1880 cencus he is married to a Tilla, dont know her maiden name.

Baird Weekly Star - Thursday October 10, 1889 NOTICE OF PROBATE:to the Sheriff or any constable of Callahan County Greetings:
You are herby commanded to cause to be published in some newpaper published in said county once a week for four consecutive weeks, previous to the return day here of the following citation:

The State of Texas:
To all persons interested in the estate of H I Banks, deceased, Emma Banks has filed in the County Court of Callahan County, an pplication to probate the nuncupative will of said H I Banks, deceased; said application alleging in substance, that said H I Banks died in Baird on the 24th day of July AD 1889, leaving real and personal property of the estimated value of eight hundred dollars, and a nuncupative will duly executed; that the testamentary words of said will were in substance as follows: I bequeath al my real and personal property to my wife, Emma Banks that the witnesses to said testamentary words were Emma Banks, W H [William Henry] Bowles [Bowlus] and Mrs. W H Bowles; that all of said witnesses to said will reside in the county of Callahan and State of Texas; that said H I Banks at the time of his death resided in Baird, Callahan County, Texas; that Emma Banks, the applicant is the surviving wife of said H I Banks and resides in Callahan County, Texas; that no executor was named in said will; that the names and residences of the heirs at law of the said H I banks were unknown to the applicant Which said applicaton will be heard at the Novembe term 1889 of this said court, to be holden on the first Monday in November, 1889 at the Court House thereof, In the town of Baird, at which time all persons interested in said estate may appear and contest said application, if they are proper. Herein fail not, under penalty of the law and of this writ make due return.
Issued the first day of October 1889
Witness L N Jackson clerk of said court and the seal therof at office in the town of baird the first day of Octboer 1889
J N Jackson clerk County Court Callahan County the foregoing is a true copy of original citation,
I certify. J W Jones? Sheriff Callahan Co. TX OCct 2, 1889
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions