Search for content in message boards

Inherited photos without names

Inherited photos without names

Posted: 6 May 2012 9:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
I inherited about 200 photos without names. I am trying to figuire out the smartest way to get people to help me figuire out who they are. The pictures are from 1911 to my best guess is 1940. The bulk of the pictures are dated in the 1920s and 1930s in South Bend & Mishawaka, Indiana. There are a lot of photos but mainly of my grandfather and his siblings.
Is there a smart place to post them or should I just post them under my great grandfather here on ancestry?
Sonya

Re: Inherited photos without names

Posted: 6 May 2012 1:54PM GMT
I have the same situation. I have the best results posting my unidentified photos to my facebook. Long lost cousins and barely related to me people have helped me tremendously in identification of people.

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 4:34PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: rosindale/rosendale
hI I have just read this post, I found quite a few photo's without names on them in my Fathers papers, John Edward Rosindale, b 1902 in Hunslet Leeds.
I shall try this method of facebook help and see if it provides any names
thanks for the hint
Linda911

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:33PM GMT
One option is to post them to http://www.deadfred.com/

Another is to a Facebook page that was recently started... https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/GenealogyLostandFound/

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 10:55AM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2013 10:56AM GMT
I would seek out facebook pages for the specific areas and towns you think the photos were taken. I live in Boston and just about every neighborhood has its own facebook page, where current and former residents can "remember when". Many members of these pages are "old timers" who have moved out to area and may be able to place a name with the face. I had success doing this. I found out the names of a photo taken of my father and his friends in 1943. I know have the names of all his floor hockey team.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 2:26PM GMT
Maybe you can contact a library which may have photos, or names in the archive files, if not they can direct you in the right place, it's worth a try

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 4:53PM GMT
Talk to your older relatives first. Then if distance is a problem, I've had success on facebook.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic