What database does TMG use? Thanks.

Re: What is TMG's database?

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 4:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I believe they use Visual Foxpro.

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 4:32AM GMT
Thanks - I see that Microsoft has announced its EndOfLife as of 1/12/2010, a year from now. I wonder what direction TMG will go from there.

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 3:27PM GMT
While I have no official knowledge of their future plans I would expect them to go with whatever is the top of the line industrial strength relational database that Microsoft is offering at that time.

It was mentioned that TMG is working on Version 8 so maybe they have already chosen their path and it will be the first post Foxpro version... but this is only a guess on my part.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 7:07PM GMT
Version 8 looks like a 1994 version of Foxpro's interface ( Same icons, etc..) FoxPro can create much better applications than TMG v8 shows. What's going on?

Regards,

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 7:33PM GMT
Three years ago, I was researching the various Windows-based genealogy applications, and my evaluation included identifying what the underlying database was. A previous poster identified the db. as FoxPro, which had been end-of-life'd at the time of my query. So, I went with a different application, which I'm happy with. Thanks.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 7:44PM GMT
FoxPro is still a good relational DB, but the interface could be improved significantly (the program interface is still in the 1990's). The program (v8) cannot import current versions of popular genealogy file formats (ie, those in the past two years).

What app did you end up using?

Regards,

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 7:59PM GMT
After narrowing my choices down to a few contenders, I went with RootsMagic. My favorite feature is the ability to run RM on a thumb drive. And, I've learned quite a bit from their free webinars.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 4:15PM GMT
FYI, some time ago Microsoft extended support for VFP through 2015, but no updates are planned.

Posted: 22 Feb 2012 10:23AM GMT
FYI, I purchased FTM2012 and cannot get it to reliably function in XP. Based on the hundreds of messages in their board section, I would say I am not alone. I got my data out of it and into TMG's latest version. So far, it seems to have completed the process fairly well. I am not as happy with the interface as FTM2012 but it certainly works MUCH MUCH better.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions