Search for content in message boards

Wife of Edward Walden of Wenham (who is Joan Crib?)

Wife of Edward Walden of Wenham (who is Joan Crib?)

Posted: 25 Aug 2002 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Apr 2004 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: Walden, Crib, Witteridge, Waldron, Haggett
Hello,

I'm trying to resolve a puzzle about the wife of Edward Walden of Wenham (immigrant, d. 1679). Many family trees posted online claim that he was married to a Joan Crib of Burrington, Somerset, England. If anyone has a source for this reference I would be much obliged.

The only reference to a wife of Edward that I have found is from the Wenham Presentments for June 1671: "John Witteridge, for being disguised with drink. Witness: Tamesin Waldron, wife of Edward Waldron, and Henry Haggett,sr." This doesn't rule out the possibility of Edward having been twice married, but the fact that he had a daughter named Tamesin indicates to me the probable existence of at least a wife Tamesin.

Children of Edward Walden, per his will, are Mary, Thomasin (Tamesin), Nathaniel, John, Ruth, Hannah, Naomi, Theophilus, Elizabeth.

Thanks in advance if you can help with any source material for the Joan Crib connection.

Wes

Re: Wife of Edward Walden of Wenham (who is Joan Crib?)

Posted: 31 May 2011 11:54PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2011 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: Walden, Crib
This is a reply to a very old post. I have to agree with you Wes regarding the wife of Edward Walden of Wenham, MA. I have spent several days now scouring the Essex Co. probate and court records, and nowhere do I see mention of a wife other than the one you posted and her name was Tamesin. I have found NOTHING on Joan Crib, except what has been posted over and over again on all connecting family trees, none of which have proof of their marriage. Where's a FACT stating his wife's name was Joan Crib. No wife is mentioned in Edward's will, so even Tamesin apparently was dead by 1679. Does any one have access to the Essex co. land records that could do lookups to see if any wife shows up there? That's the my last resort for facts of this immigrant.

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 3:49PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2011 12:56PM GMT
Surnames: Crib
I, too, am searching for Joan Crib without success. Please let me know if you find proof of the wife of Edward.

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 5:58PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2011 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: Walden, Crib, Witteredge, Waldron, Haggett
Several researchers, including LDS, state Edward's wife was Joan Crib (b. 1633 Burrington, Sommerset, Eng.). However, there is on record at the Salem Quarterly Court, Wenham Presentments for June 1671, a single sentence: "John Witteredge, for being disguised with drink. Witness: Tamesin Waldron, wife of Edward Waldron, and Henry Haggett, Sr."

I have found NO EVIDENCE whatsoever, that he had a wife of Joan Crib and I have spent hours/days/weeks searching. As stated above, whether Tamesin was his first/second I cannot say, but she was his wife in 1671. This is the only evidence found for any wife of Edward. I really get tired of people copying over and over what they themselves can't prove. And if they can, where is the evidence regarding Joan Crib.

Daisy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions