Search for content in message boards

Double cousins

Double cousins

Posted: 8 May 2012 10:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather had double cousins. His uncle was his father's brother and his aunt was his mothers sister. I didn't realize this immediately so there are two family sets. Is there a way to avoid this? Probably not but as I find more info it's a pain to duplicate it in the other family so I've just been concentrating on one.
Just curious if anyone else had this problem.

Re: Double cousins

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 10:52PM GMT
I guess not.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 2:53AM GMT
One set of great grandparents were first cousins. My great grandmother is in the tree under her parents with her husband and my great grandfather is in the tree under his parents with his wife. Since they are the same family that means they are doubled up. At first, it seemed like a mistake.

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 3:41PM GMT
I have double first cousins in my tree. I am not sure what your question is but will attempt to answer. The only was to avoid having them in your tree 2 times is to check each name before you enter them but it may still happen.

If you have these people in your tree twice you can merge them. I start with the parents and then merge the children. The people will only be in your tree once but will show up on both lines in the tree.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 1:05AM GMT
Yes, when you set up the children for example:

If John married Angel and Angel's sister married John's brother then set up both families separate. Then after you have the two families in the computer you would go to the person tab and attach the sister to her husband, which is also her sister's "Angel's brother-in-law. If you have further questions my email address is angelbuddy01@bellsouth.net

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 6:49PM GMT
I have double cousins in my tree and from experience you definitely need to remove the duplication as this will cause major headaches in the future. My solution would be as follows;
Mary and Ann are sisters married to John and George respectively who are brothers. Simply break the link between all four and all their parents. Now merge the two parent sets of Mary and Ann. Obviously the less ancestors entered the easier it will be, but keeping the parent set with the longest ancestor line is your best bet. When this is done simply relink Mary and Ann to their "new" parents. Do exactly the same for John and George and "Bobs your Uncle".
REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR TREE BEFORE YOU START THE PROCESS.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic