Search for content in message boards

MILLER- HIGHLAND, COUNTY, OHIO - 1800s

MILLER- HIGHLAND, COUNTY, OHIO - 1800s

Sue Renkert (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MILLER
Jonas Miller, John Miller (2), Daniel Miller, Absalom Miller are in 1840 census of Highland County, Ohio. Does anyone have information on any of these families? Looking for family of Sophia Miller.

Re: MILLER- HIGHLAND, COUNTY, OHIO - 1800s

Posted: 29 Oct 2001 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Miller
I am looking for a Jonas Miller born abt. 1807. Married a Mary. Was living in Fairfield Co. Ohio in the 1840's 1850's later moved to Allen Co. Ohio. Their chldren's names were
Jacob b. 1850, Tobias b.1841, John b. abt. 1847, Elizabeth b. ?, Abraham b. abt. 1839, Sophie b. abt. 1840, Epharaice, b. abt. 1845. Any connection?

darlene (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 6:50PM GMT
Hi Marilyn, Do you have any more info on the children of Jonas? I am looking for a John Miller b.1845, I have seen some census records with the birth of 1846. I am looking for his parents' names. He lived in Pa. I am thinking Ohio not far from the Pa. line, just maybe they were from Ohio. I am looking into any possibility, as looking for MILLERS, and the right ones, is nearly impossible. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
darlene

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2001 12:24AM GMT
Hi Darlene, I have John son of my Jonas born abt. 1847, he had one daughter and ended up living in Huntington, Indiana.
Other siblings are: Tobias, b. 12/5/1841, Eli b. (1834), Elizabeth, she had 6 children, Abraham b.(1839), Sophia b. 1840, Epharaice (male) b(1845). They lived in Fairfield Co. Ohio for a time, moving to Allen Co. Ohio, on the 1850 census. That is all I have. I hope this helps you.

marilyn

darlene (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2001 1:40AM GMT
Thanks Marilyn, but I believe it is the wrong line. My John had 9 children. Thanks for sending a reply, anything helps when trying to locate the MILLER linage.
darlene

Posted: 26 May 2005 1:56PM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2005 5:23AM GMT
Surnames: Miller, Stalter
I'm looking for the same Jonas Miller. They passed through Hocking County, as his daughter Isabelle was born there (she doesn't appear with him in the 1850 census in Allen County because she was already married by then).

I have the children as Isabelle, Eli, Sophia, Abraham, Tobias, Ephraim, John and Jacob. Eli and Tobias are buried in the Spencerville Cemetery in Allen County, Ohio. John & Jacob are both buried near Huntington, Indiana, though in different cemeteries; John is in Mt. Hope while Jacob lies in Mt. Calvary. Haven't found burials for the other children, though Isabelle is reportedly in Markle, Indiana - apparently without a marker.

I think there might be another daughter, Mary, who married in Hocking County to a Josephe Stalter? It's a bit confusing, since Jonas' wife was also a Mary Stalter, apparently the daughter of a Christian & Mary Stalter.

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2005 7:20PM GMT
Yes we are hunting for the same family! My gggrandfather was Jacob Miller. I didn't know they were in Hocking Co. for awhile. They ended up in Allen Co. Ohio. Spencerville. Jonas and Mary Cettee were married in Brush Creek Twp in Highland Co, Ohio in 1827. Mary's name is spellled different ways (Setty was most common)
I didn't know about his two daughters Isabelle and Mary as I have not foound any reference to them where I have looked.

stepfull (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2005 11:38PM GMT
Can you please explain how you come to the conclusion that the Jonas & Mary Miller who married in Highland County were the parents of Jacob?

Here is the trail for the information that I have, which runs contrary to yours re: the name of Jonas Miller's wife:

Isabelle (Miller) Davis' obituary (1908) names her parents as Mr. & Mrs. Jonas Miller, and her brothers as Rev. John Miller, Jacob Miller (both of Huntington, IN - Jacob living on Briant Street) and Tobias Miller of Spencerville, Ohio. It gives her place of birth as 'Hawking' County, OH (which doesn't exist, we infer they meant 'Hocking'). It gives her birthdate as 1839, which is not consistent with anything else we've found (including a prior death notice which states she was nearly 75 years old at the time of her death in 1908). I've concluded the year of birth is closer to 1832. I need to recontact the vital records clerk in Huntington County to verify the maiden name of Isabelle's mother from the death record which the clerk said was hard to read, but it was concluded on my first visit there (partially based on other assumptions) that it must be Stalter.

The obit of Jacob C. Miller (d. 1927) tells us that he died at his home - on Briant Street, in Huntington, Indiana. It also names his brother John - of Liberty Mills. It unfortunately doesn't name his parents, but does tell us he was born in Allen County, Ohio.

We know from earlier census research that Isabelle and her husband James Davis lived in Allen County in 1850 and in neighboring Van Wert County in 1860 before relocating to Indiana.

The obit of John Miller (d. 1929) tells us that he was last married to the former Mrs. J.A. Eby in 1923, that he had been a minister and had earlier lived at Liberty Mills. It also names his parents as Jonas & Mary Miller and tells us he was born in Allen County, Ohio.

The marriage record of John Miller & Effie Eby in 1923 names his parents as 'Jones' Miller & Mary Stalter.

An abstract of wills for Fairfield County, Ohio turns up a record in 1839 for Christian Stalter, and listed among his heirs is Mary, wife of James or Jonas Miller. Fairfield is the neighboring county to the north of Hocking, where we believe Isabelle was born.

So, it appears that Jonas may have had an alias - James. An abstract of Fairfield County, Ohio marriages contains a record for the marriage of a James Miller and Mary Stalter on 22 June 1831. Not conclusive, certainly; but we do find a few significant Stalter marriages in the same area, same time frame: George Miller/Seville Stalter (1830), John Blosser/Susannah Stalter (1830), Jacob Beery / Catharine Stalter (1832) - all of whom are also named in the aforementioned abstract of Christian Stalter's will.

And of course we find Jonas and Mary with several children in the 1850 census of Allan County (in Monroe Township), including Tobias - mentioned in Isabelle's obit. (It doesn't mention what we presume is her brother Eli because he was already deceased as of 1901 - I have a picture of the tombstone. I don't know about the other siblings yet.)

Now, we find your Jonas & Mary Miller in Highland County in that same location in 1830 with a child 10-14 yrs; most likely too old to be their own if they married in 1827. They're still at that location in 1840 - with no children. But where'd they go in 1850? I don't think it was Allen County, Ohio - but possibly Blackford County, Indiana? We find a childless couple with the same names of the right age there. Just a theory - certainly not proof.

stepfull (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2005 11:53PM GMT
I should add to my prior post that we also find a Jonas & Mary Miller in Rush Creek, Fairfield County, Ohio - with 1 male child under 5 and 2 female children ages 5-9 in the household. One is tempted to believe these children might be Eli, Isabelle, and maybe, just perhaps, the Mary Jane who married Joseph Stalter in Hocking County, February 18, 1841 - "by oath of Jonas Miller". This is admittedly a stretch and no one should take it as proved without doing more research to verify it by other records.

stepfull (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2005 11:56PM GMT
Oh the mistakes we make when we are in haste:

Regarding Jonas Miller in Rush Creek, Fairfield County:

That's the 1840 census, and obviously the wife's name isn't shown. We should be careful about assuming that the adult woman in that household is his wife, Mary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions