Search for content in message boards

BROUGH, POTTER, REID, MCMASTERS, STALEY IN PEC

BROUGH, POTTER, REID, MCMASTERS, STALEY IN PEC

Beth Brough Grasser (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2002 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROUGH, POTTER, REID, MCMASTERS, STALEY
My great, great grandfather, George Brough came to Canada in mid 1800's from England. My great grandfather, John Brough lived in Picton until his death. My paternal grandmother, Jessie Staley married my grandfather, Elvin Brough. Her mother was a McMasters. They were married in Tweed. She worked in Wellington. Does anyone have any information on this family?? Ila Beatty and Percy Brough of Picton were siblings of my grandfather, Elvin.

Re: BROUGH, POTTER, REID, MCMASTERS, STALEY IN PEC

Posted: 22 Nov 2002 5:39PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2004 5:22AM GMT
Hi;
I recently indexed a book for our local archives, the James McMasters family, and I have a copy of the index on my computer. There is a Jesse STALEY in the book, as well as many many other Staley's...there is also an Elvin Firman BROUGH....so sounds like your family?
I don't have a copy of the book, but can try to look at it next Thursday for you. Our archives is only open on Thursdays this time of year. I will also check our library for a copy of the book, as they may have one, and are open today...if they have it, it will be a reference book that can't be taken out, but I'll jot down some info for you til you decide what you are interested in, then I can photocopy some for you, okay?
You can email me directly at tsheady@sympatico.ca

Beth Brough Grasser (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2002 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: RE: BROUGH, POTTER, REID, MCMASTERS, STALEY IN PEC
thank you so much for your time and attention!! I have that book here at home. I am really having more trouble with the Broughs. George Brough, John Brough's father, supposedly came from Yorkshire, England in the mid 1800's. But I cannot find how he came, when, where from and who his parents were. As a Canadian, do you know what sources I would check to get this info? I found one census, but it didn't give too much info. I believe that he married a Mary Reid. John, his son, married Atelia Potter. Thanks in advance for any help you all can send me.

Posted: 23 Nov 2002 12:30AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2004 5:22AM GMT
Well, to find info about George Brough, you might be best off to start ordering films from the LDS for Yorkshire. Without being able to narrow it down further, though, you will likely be looking at a lot of films, but may hit it lucky for a birth or baptismal record.

Did George die here in Canada, more specifically, here in PEC? What about his death registration? Sometimes (not always though) the parents are listed on it.

I am often looking through PEC books, and will keep my eyes open for any more mentions, and will try to think of where else to check.

Posted: 13 Jan 2003 7:06PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2004 3:14AM GMT
If you would like to get in touch with me I have information on the Brough family of Picton

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Brough's of Prince Edward County
Hello,

I am currently researching this end of my stepfather's family tree and have run into a bit of a road block.

I have the information for George Brough b.1831. The census for 1871-1901 have him listed being born in England. His death record has his parents listed as John and Eliza Brough. There is no information indicated where he actually came from in England. I haven't even found definitive proof that he came from the Yorkshire area and it seems like this is the same area most people researching the P.E.C. Brough line are stuck.

If any one has any additional information, please send me a message via email. It's my username at Hotmail dot com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions